News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Telling the story to BSA troop

Started by PHenry, June 08, 2010, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

To All:
Last evening, I drove out to far side of Tampa and gave the 1st and 2nd Strikes to a Boy Scout Troop. I was invited by one of their leaders, who I met at a local eatery. It went well and the boys seemed fairly interested. I did a short opening speech to intro myself and promo the program and then launched into the first two strikes, asking for questions after each one.

I will return on the 28th to do 3rd and DOM, as well as some TPI of why this info should be of import to the boys. They began the meeting with the pledge of allegiance. Been some time since I was asked to do that - felt good!

All in all, I would say it was a success and would like to do more of it and see others do the same. If anyone knows a troop leader - speak to him and find out if he would be willing to afford one of the red hats a chance to tell the story of the most important day in American history.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

eaglescouter

Call the Senior Patrol Leader up front, present him an Appleseed youth patch, explain it well, and thank him for being a leader.  Pile it a bit deeper and give him a certificate for a free Appleseed. 
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

PHenry

Excellent idear eaglescouter! Will do. I'll need to get hold of such a certificate.
Thanks,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

caseyblane

Sounds great PHenry! I've still got to find a way to work AS in to our homeschool group. I've had casual interest from members of the group but never turned anyone out at an event. We meet once a week for 15 days in the fall and again in spring and do elective classes. This fall I'm teaching a "Junior EMT" First Aid Class. I see an April 19th, 1775 class in our future.
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

PHenry

casey,
You are welcome to my three strikes and DOM stories if that would help.
PH

dwarven1

Quote from: caseyblane on June 10, 2010, 10:07:56 PM
Sounds great PHenry! I've still got to find a way to work AS in to our homeschool group. I've had casual interest from members of the group but never turned anyone out at an event.

Be careful what you ask for!!

Last year, as a result of the spam email campaigns, we had quite a few homeschoolers on the line at Throop, NY. And several of them had brand new rifles, with the rifle still in the shrinkwrap.  :P

My suggestion is that you go slow and make sure you have a higher than normal number of instructors for such a shoot - and a higher than normal number of loaner LTRs for the inevitable rifle malfunctions, lack of slings, etc. Standard AQTs will be the rule for that shoot, as it's guaranteed that they won't have enough magazines to do a RFAQT, too.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

PHenry

dwarven1,
Right now we suffer just the opposite - plenty of staff and not enough rifles on line.

Go slow - not the Appleseeds way!  :~ :~ :~ :~ :~

jmdavis

We've had a number of homeschoolers in Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina at Appleseeds. The same is true for Ohio. In all of the cases where I have been involved they were attentive, respectful and good shooters. I would take a line of them anytime.

During the March IBC TXpirate, Stimey and I told the three strikes to a group of boy scouts who were camping at Yanceyville, NC and doing their Firearms safety training. I thought that it was a great experience.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

NHale

Quote from: PHenry on June 14, 2010, 04:54:56 PM
dwarven1,
Right now we suffer just the opposite - plenty of staff and not enough rifles on line.

Go slow - not the Appleseeds way!  :~ :~ :~ :~ :~

I tried pitching AS to our Cub Scouts committee meeting once...

The first question I got was "Do we have to get our own rifle?". I then bought 3 Marlins specifically for loaners, and offered folks free ammo as well. I only had one Mom and son agree to go, but they canceled at the last minute when he didn't make the honor roll. I know, a rifleman persists, but I'm thinking I'm not doing it right...
NH
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

dwarven1

Quote from: jmdavis on June 14, 2010, 05:04:32 PM
We've had a number of homeschoolers in Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina at Appleseeds. The same is true for Ohio. In all of the cases where I have been involved they were attentive, respectful and good shooters. I would take a line of them anytime.

Most of the students WERE good students - they were simply utterly raw novices and required a LOT of training. I wished I had about 5 more of me... or of ANY instructor!
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

caseyblane

Yes, PHenry, please share. I'm thinking I could pitch a 6 or 7 week mini class to our group's coordinator for next year (we're already doing two of those this year). I could do the three strikes, DOM, maybe I could get a hold of Son of Martha's philosophy story, memory work with the preamble to the Constitution and Declaration, and maybe have them read Johnny Tremain. Any other ideas?
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

PHenry

Casey,
PM me with your regular Email addy - thought I had it, but cannot find it - will respond with all that I have.
Thanks,
PH
PS> You are doing a fabulous job with the newsletter, Facebook, etc!

RickB

We had some homeschoolers on the line in Myakka early this spring.  Raw novices--yes.  Teachable attitude? Wow!  Ask ItsAnSKS about the teenage girl who, with a few minutes of instruction, learned to use her bolt rifle like an experienced high-power competitor.  The look of awe on his face after he watched her for a minute was priceless.
RickB

scott4751

The finest local rifle & pistol club here in Western PA (BVRPC) has been providing our local scout troops the opportunity to achieve their Rifle Merit Badge, which most importantly teaches the safety fundamentals of shooting.  The last time out the instructors mentioned the upcoming Appleseed events.  My son and I both wanted to know more about the program, which led us to the Appleseed Home Page.  Within the week I checked the vacation schedule at work to verify if I could get one of the upcoming event weekends off.  (My company is a 24/7 operation)  The September shoot was open and we registered.  Needless to say, we can't wait for the event. :D  I also talked to some co-workers about the Appleseed program and as of today, one of my co-workers is registered and bringing his son to the September event.  I know another co-worker was thinking about going but my co-worker who registered and myself scarfed up the remaining time off to go.  So he is out of luck until next time. :( :wb:  So if anyone knows a parent of a scout or a troop leader give them the flier for your local events.  Chances are your ideologies are similar and may generate some interest.

PHenry

Roger that sir - left a big stack with the troop that I spoke to - it were a condition of my presentation!  O0