News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Elbow and Knee Pads

Started by hornblower, June 07, 2010, 07:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornblower

After my second Appleseed, I found that the "hardshell" elbow pads are not all that stable in the prone and sitting/kneeling positions.

Searching the Internet, I found www.triple8.com

I ordered a set of their soft elbow pads, called "Second Skin Elbow Pads".

They also have the same type pads for the knees.

On their site, go to "Park Protective Gear", and then scroll down to the aforementioned pads.

My order arrived today and the pads are really good.

If you have not gone to an Appleseed, I strongly recommend that you wear elbow and knee protection.

I have two sores on my elbows, and a week after Appleseed, they still bleed on the sheets as I move around in my sleep.

I hope that this helps some avoid the unnecessary sores.

I tried to post this so that all could see it, but I was only able to start a new topic on the Florida board.

voortrekker

Hornblower,

Thank you for sharing your experience with "hard shell" elbow/knee pads.

I have been down that road as well shooting .308, trigger side elbow sliding almost every shot losing my NPOA = frustrating.

TIPS (mainly for the elbows) while shooting a centerfire rifle  :

1) The USMC shooting jacket works well for securing your elbows, especially when you put away the shooting mat and shoot in the dirt.

2) A cure for those sliding "hard shell" elbow/knee pads is coarse sand paper and gorilla glue applied and fixed to those pads.

3) For those that shoot a rifle that has a slippery buttstock, (Garand, M1A, 10/22 etc....) again, coarse sand paper and gorilla glue. 

Simple, inexpensive and lasts.......coarse sand paper and gorilla glue.

The M1A is my favorite rifle to shoot.  However, I always had a problem keeping the buttstock from slipping after recoil.   Not anymore, coarse sand paper and gorilla glue on the butt end cured that quick.  My steady hold factors have been 100% rock solid ever since I did that and started shooting wearing a USMC shooting jacket in the dirt.  The latter was a tip from The Guy.   Thanks Guy!  O0

Instructors, they make coarse sand paper with adhesive backing.  It can be found at all the major hardware stores.  I have found it very useful for folks shooting the stock 10/22, even a few Garand/M1A shooters for a temporary fix during a weekend shoot to keep that buttstock set into the pocket of the shoulder.  It's a good item to keep in your Instructor kit.

Don't throw away those tacti-cool elbow/knee pads because they slip and slide on the firing line!    They do protect your skin.   Consider the above tips and they should help secure your steady hold factors as well.   ;)

Focus on the front sight!    :~

Brett
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

ItsanSKS

There are alternatives to sandpaper and gorilla glue, as well.  Though I'm sure gorilla glue works very well...

First up is adhesive backed sandpaper.  Can be purchased at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware store. 

Second is "Grip Tape".  This is primarily used by skateboarders, to add a non-slip surface to the top of their skateboard.  Large sheets (9"x33") are available for about $10, and that goes a LONG way to outfitting your rifle stocks, elbow pads, etc.  This can be found online, or at a local skateboard shop. 

I would recommend grip tape over sandpaper- it is designed for rough treatment, and lasts a LONG time.

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

NHale

Tube socks work for elbow pads. Cut a slit in the toes and pull them up past your elbows, then double them back over themselves. Also doubles as chick repellent, although the black ones are a bit less obvious.

NH
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...