News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Civil Air Patrol shoot 6/15/2010

Started by AZOpie, June 02, 2010, 12:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEWGUY556

I downloaded the COF doc. I tried everything I could think of to get the first 2 pages on one sheet and failed.
No biggie, anyway I will review it tonight/tomorrow and we can talk about it sunday.
I am looking forward to this, it appears that we will need to grind the shooters big time to pull it off, which in turn is good practice for our regular events. I will try my hardest to keep the "Time Monkey"  ++) in the back of my mind while working.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZOpie

Updated the doc to include a 1 page relay schedule (page 3) - get out your magnifying glass!    ;)

AZOpie

I just sent this homework document to all the cadets via e-mail to study before they arrive at their encampment next weekend. Hopefully this will facilitate us moving nicely through the morning instruction....

Garand69

Excellent Work Folks, look forward to the AAR O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

AZOpie

Site survey is now completed. Thanks to Col Ramage for taking the time to fly me down and walk the range with me.

The 50 yard range will be used for briefing and instructing Groups 2 - 5. There are a set of bleachers there for the cadets to sit on during the safety briefing and instruction.
Group 1 will report to the 25 yard range for their briefing / instruction - there are bleachers there too.
There is a functional porta-potty behind the range, and a water cooler on the instruction range as well.
There is also a security container behind the range where extra ammo, etc. can be stored - I will see about gaining access to that.
I have the measurements for the cardboard backers and will come to the site equipped with them and zip ties to attach them to the frames.
Shoot schedule is adjusted to remove the posting of the 2 x C-AQT targets. The backers will hold targets 1 - 5 at the same time - this saves 2 minutes.
We now have 3:30 of flex time during the shoot.
Target 5 is the designated sacrifice to Murphy should he decide to show up at the range.  >:(

Photos and a video of this mornings flyover are at http://asg.milhoan.net

AZOpie

Latest updates:

AZRedhawk44, NEWGUY556 and myself discussed the COF document enroute to Payson for a high power match. We decided to remove the 2 C-AQT targets (200 & 300) from the COF. We added time to go downrange after each sighter to get feedback. Also added more time for the swapouts of each group. Added a star target to be shot ONLY IF TIME ALLOWS. I added sheets for each group that indicate the time for each step if all runs perfectly on time **). We will push the cadets hard  &) to make the timeline work but we are realists. I have data collection on each groups line boss sheet. This will allow us to gather information about the actual start stop times as well as total time for each shoot segment.

Just heard back from the Usery Mountian juniors program - they are confirming the availability of rifles for the shoot - with slings at that.

I have attached the latest shoot doc (v1.3) with the line boss sheets  (COF / Timing) and target changes.

AZOpie

We are 4 LTR's (no spares) away from having a semi-auto line, otherwise its ss bolts. I just bought 5 Marlin 795's today. HM is scrounging in CA. Anyone got input here?

AZOpie

Shoot doc v1.4 attached. Completed the instructor assignments for the relay segments. Made sure that N.G. and C.A.P. instructors get a chance to see every step. Ensured that there is a full instructor or S.I. to do the instruction and an IIT to demo. IIT's will do line boss duty so instructors can work the line with N.G. and CAP folks. Now it's on to developing the actual instruction and schedule for that.

AZO

AZOpie

Shoot doc now at v1.5

Assigned all staff to instructor / demonstrator / and coaching positions for the instructional portions. Also assigned staff to LSO and RSO positions on the firing line to go along with the Line Boss assignment. Also created instructor schedule cards so we can all have a small slip of paper that tells us where we should be at what time.

AZOpie

Here's the latest doc - v1.6. Added COIs for the relays including detailed timing and feedback gathering on the timing. It would be hard to run through it without a demonstrator and at least a few people that are less than familliar with the subject matter. Time allotments are a swag on this. Time to catch some Z's...

AZO

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on June 09, 2010, 02:18:30 AM
Here's the latest doc - v1.6. Added COIs for the relays including detailed timing and feedback gathering on the timing. It would be hard to run through it without a demonstrator and at least a few people that are less than familliar with the subject matter. Time allotments are a swag on this. Time to catch some Z's...

AZO

As far as I know I am taking my Nephew to the range sunday and I am going to work in some of the COF elements. I will be timing him and report back with the results. He is 18 and has a limited knowledge of firearms, so he fits demographic that we will be working with.
BTW- I think you did a good job with it!  O0
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

OK - here is what I currently show being brought to the event:

TG&BF  6 LTRs
AZRH     3 LTRs
NEWG   3 LTRs
AZB        2 LTRs
AZO       8 LTRs

That brings us up to a total of 22 LTRs - not enough to run the line with LTRs. I am working on an alternate plan to integrate the M-16's into the shoot to keep the line a semi-auto line.

Supplied by the Air National Guard:

10k rounds of .22 ammo (Remington high velocity)
Foam ear plugs

Supplied by the Army National Guard:

15 M-16s
900 rounds of .223 ammo
Static displays of some "heavier" firearms
3 instructors

Supplied by AZO:

800 rounds of .223 ammo
30 backers and a bag of zip ties to affix them to the rotating target frames.
6 staple guns and a bunch of staples
2 large coolers with ice and water for the instruction and firing lines
Laser printed targets - sighters, 100yd, and star
A flyer on future Appleseed dates and locations with a download link for cadets to get copies of the handouts traditionally given to shooters at an Appleseed
4 Shooting mats

Supplied by AZRedhawk44:

Red Coat targets
Target numbers
Photocopies of the talking targets flyer
3 Shooting mats
T-Shirts

Supplied by TaosGlock / BlueFeather (trying to keep their load down):

T-Shirts
15 Shooting mats

Supplied by Rio Salado youth shooting:

1 or more instructors
30 single shot bolt action rifles
30+ shooting mats
Some sand bags in case we have some physically challenged cadets

Supplied by Tom @ Evergreen Aviation:

40 pair of shooting glasses
Secure storage facilities
Housing - 1 hotel type room for TG and BF, 1 NCO room each for HM and AZO (couldn't get a house)

Supplied by NewGuy556:

2 Shooting mats (and many more carpet remnants)

Look this list over with a critical eye. I am personally using it when I go to load my truck up to go down. Anyone see anything, or a bunch of stuff missing?

AZO

AZOpie

Just got a note from the National Guard. They are going to bring about 15 M-16's and about 900 rounds. I am bringing 800 rounds that I had stashed. The trick is to figure out how to make the shoot work with having to run two red coat segments - half the line at a time.

AZO

NEWGUY556

I just sent an e-mail to everyone about shooting mats. I was working in the field today and carpet was going in the house that I was working in, so I grabbed about 8-10 shooting mat sized pieces. Some may be a bit small for a guy my size but others are bigger. I am too tired to count what I got for sure. I may go have a look after I rest a bit. Generally I work in the office, so today was brutal.  :'(  $$-0
I am working tomorrow so I will keep my eye out for more, and when the shoot is done I hope most of them go home with other folks.  O0
RWVA, Rifleman

Xeyed

AZO,

To your checklist don't forget a camera. And add the photography duty to the schedule.

We all want to see the smiles on those kids faces.

Also don't forget your Murphy Kit
Duct Tape, Paracord, WD-40 etc

and something to tie everything down if the wind blows.
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Cal 7.62

Sorry to throw a wrench in the gears but I talked to Hollywood Marine yesterday @@)
and he said he would be unable to come because of work. !@#)
That means the LTR's I was planning to drop off at the Cali Instructor BBQ won't make it to AZ.
He did mention that Dano MIGHT go to the CAP shoot. So I'm bringing AS Minuteman's and my LTR's to the BBQ, just in case it's a GO O0
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

AZOpie

Thanks for the heads up. Just in case the LTRs don't make it out, I am working up a plan to integrate the M-16s into the shoot in such a way as to keep the line semi-auto. If that cannot be worked out, we will run the line with the single shot bolts and do instruction with the LTR's.

AZO

Cal 7.62

Looks like you'll have to go with Plan B, the Cali LTR's can't make it.
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on June 13, 2010, 01:43:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Just in case the LTRs don't make it out, I am working up a plan to integrate the M-16s into the shoot in such a way as to keep the line semi-auto. If that cannot be worked out, we will run the line with the single shot bolts and do instruction with the LTR's.

AZO
We could have some of the older kids in each group run an M-16. Put them in the right side of the line.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on June 13, 2010, 10:12:37 AM
Quote from: AZOpie on June 13, 2010, 01:43:32 AM

AZO
We could have some of the older kids in each group run an M-16. Put them in the right side of the line.

Excellent idea! We will have to count rounds though. It might be we have some use M-16's for the first targets, and then swap to LTR's with another cadet to shoot the Red Coat. Ammo will be tight, but that way it's just a difference of a few rounds per cadet. If we have enough .223, then we can have some final year cadets use M-16's for their whole line time.

AZOpie

CAP shoot doc v1.7 attached - adjusted for loss of HM at this event.

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

AZOpie

CAP shoot doc 1.8 attached - fixed mistakes in v1.7 with relay schedules / instructor time cards.

NEWGUY556

I am good to go. Will try my hardest to be there by 06:30.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

There are some photos from AZB posted here:  http://asg.milhoan.net

My heartfelt thanks to all the instructors that came together to make this event a success. There were some challenges that we learned from, but they have made us better!
At least they made me better    :o

AAR to follow....

Desert Dawg

I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you folks know what a wonderful job you did on Tuesday.  I am the commander of the CAP unit in Marana and I am a tack officer at encampment.  The cadets are still talking and bragging about their marksmanship skills.  I know that there were several cadets that had never touched a firearm in their life, and now they are hooked.

I have never done any highpower shooting, but if you could ever use the help of an old three gun and IPSC shooter, just let me know.  You are truly an outstanding bunch of folks focused on an outstanding cause.

Ken Smith, Capt. CAP
Squadron Commander
Squadron 109

TaosGlock

It was an honor to be able to bring what we do to such an enthusiastic group of new and very young shooters!
These young Americans will one day run our country and between all of our efforts, it will be in goods hands.
The event ran pretty smooth despite the challenge of a large group in a very short time.

Dan
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

AZOpie

Quote from: Desert Dawg on June 16, 2010, 05:49:27 PM
I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you folks know what a wonderful job you did on Tuesday.  I am the commander of the CAP unit in Marana and I am a tack officer at encampment.  The cadets are still talking and bragging about their marksmanship skills.  I know that there were several cadets that had never touched a firearm in their life, and now they are hooked.

I have never done any highpower shooting, but if you could ever use the help of an old three gun and IPSC shooter, just let me know.  You are truly an outstanding bunch of folks focused on an outstanding cause.

Ken Smith, Capt. CAP
Squadron Commander
Squadron 109

Ken,

I thank you for your comments, and I would love to see you at an Appleseed event. You know where to get the info, just let me know when you are comig out! Bring lots of ammo and a will to excel, and you will...

AZO