News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any other Appleseeders in Northern Virginia?

Started by Cheeks, June 01, 2010, 10:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeks

Any other Riflemen/Appleseeders in Northern Virginia? I'm in Vienna. It looks like the closest shoots to NoVa are in Chambersburg, PA and Annapolis, MD. Let's get on the stick and get some Appleseeds in NoVa!

Stand up and be counted!

FiremanEd

We got at east one new IIT from up that direction last weekend in Mechanicsville, I'm not sure what Brian's screen name is.

We need something up that way, the problem is just access. For anyone up there, it doesn't have to be an official range. If you know someone out in the outlying counties with some land where we can shoot we can make most any field with a good hill work.

We really want to get to NVA or the Northern Shenandoah Valley area. Any ideas would be appreciated.

FiremanEd
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

Cheeks

Parts of West Virginia are only about an hour away.

Cheeks

Feel free to call me Captain Obvious for that last post...

Old Dog

There used to be some guys that drove down to Mechanicsville from the DC area when the mini Appleseeds were started.  I don't remember their names but at least one of them was signed on to the forum here.  When gas went up they stopped driving down for those 5/6 hr. mini's.

Did some checking in the older sections of the forum.  His user name was Creed.  He has not been on the forum in a year or so but his e-mail address is listed in his user profile.  You might try to contact him by his user name and see if it is still "good".  He came to several mini-s and brought a friend or two when he came.  He seemed pretty enthusiastic at the time.  I hate to post his e-mail address here.  Do you know how to look up the user profiles?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Cheeks

Thanks. I sent him a PM. I saw his email, but I think the PM will be redirected to that address.

Erik Nelson

Hello,

I and my wife Noi are up here.  We're near Fort Belvoir.  We were at mechanicsville a couple of days ago.  She's the little Thai girl.

Hey Eddie, what's up?

FiremanEd

Good to see you're up and running on here Erik, you'll start getting emails in a few days about being set up as an IIT.

Thanks again for stepping up and being willing to help the program out.

Eddie

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

Cheeks

Hey Erik,
There is a shoot coming up in Annapolis in June. It doesn't get much closer than that for us! Welcome aboard!

BD

Brian's screen name is BD.
I'm in Springfield.  I also have a neighbor who's been to a couple of Appleseeds.
You have to go pretty far outside the DC area to get to land that's suitable for an Appleseed.
There are a handful of members-only shooting clubs around the area that could work.
I think all of them carry waiting lists for members so they wouldn't host one to encourage memberships.
It would be good to hold one somewhere in Northern Virginia, this area needs all the waking up it can handle.
Up the Republic

pbcook

The wife and I live in Chantilly--and just attended the Mechanicsville Appleseed.

mtmisfit

I agree NOVA needs waking up, I was lucky enough to escape.

Check with the Northern Virginia Gun Club,  even though their range is down near Dahlgren. Haven't been there in many years but still own stock in the facility.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

Erik Nelson

Quote from: FiremanEd on June 02, 2010, 05:07:07 PM
Good to see you're up and running on here Erik, you'll start getting emails in a few days about being set up as an IIT.

Thanks again for stepping up and being willing to help the program out.

Eddie

I haven't getten any e-mails Ed...  I came on here to see if there was activity.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks

Erik

BeSwift

I dropped an email to a shooter who may be able to volunteer a host location in NoVa. Hopefully, he'll contact y'all so you can get it going down that way. If you do, count me in to assist... :D   BeSwift   
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

FiremanEd

That would be great BeSwift. We really need a location up there.

sashok.privetov

I'll chime in.  Just put on an orange hat, I'm stationed in Fort McNair in DC. I'll probably be at the next Buckingham shoot.
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

pbcook

Quote from: Old Dog on June 02, 2010, 07:25:39 AM
There used to be some guys that drove down to Mechanicsville from the DC area when the mini Appleseeds were started.  I don't remember their names but at least one of them was signed on to the forum here.  When gas went up they stopped driving down for those 5/6 hr. mini's.

Sorry for the diversion, but I've been meaning to ask for a while, what exactly is a "mini," and do they still occur?

P.S.  Currently enjoying coffee with my Father's Day gift--a RWVA coffee mug!

FiremanEd

A "mini" is a Sunday afternoon micro version of an Appleseed. They run about 3 or 4 hours with some shooting and history. VAShooter does them at Black Creek when he can. I think it's the 3rd Sunday (may be wrong on that) of the months when he's not doing a full Appleseed somewhere on that weekend. Now that our schedule has gotten as full as it is and that VAShooter if essentially supervising 5 states, they're not happening very often except during the late fall to early spring, when weather permits.

That answer clear as mud for you?

Eddie

agshooter

New Rifleman here in NOVA.  I just qualified at the Yanceyville, NC AS this weekend.

I am a member at the Arlington/Fairfax Izaak Walton.  I would think it would be a great place to hold an AS, 18 covered lanes in increments of 25, 50, 75, and 100 yds.  I am not up to par for hosting but thought Id put the idea out there.

FiremanEd

Quote from: agshooter on June 21, 2010, 10:00:37 PM
New Rifleman here in NOVA.  I just qualified at the Yanceyville, NC AS this weekend.

I am a member at the Arlington/Fairfax Izaak Walton.  I would think it would be a great place to hold an AS, 18 covered lanes in increments of 25, 50, 75, and 100 yds.  I am not up to par for hosting but thought Id put the idea out there.

PM in bound to AgShooter

Cheeks

I'm a member at the Iwla Arlington Fairfax as well. The problem is that the targets have to be at certain height. I think it is around five feet. If you were to shoot the target prone at that height and at 25m, the bullet may go over the berm and land on the elementary school a mile away. Not exactly our desired outcome. What I have done is shoot a three inch target at 75m, and then shooting prone is fine. A rifleman adapts! I've talked to other members there about Appleseed, but not the board of directors. I could be wrong, but I don't think they would be willing to give up a whole weekend. I may be wrong.

agshooter

Yeah I am not sure.  This is only my second year as a member there.  I do know they close the range for other courses (NRA courses) on weekends so it can be done.  Also for those courses ( handgun) they allow a temporary 7 yard target to be used.  That is my only complaint is that on regular business  you are not allowed to have a target closer than 25 yds, makes for limited handgun practice.

Cheeks

I attended my first Appleseed as an IIT this weekend in Annapolis. The range over there is pretty nice. It's a covered line, and lots of shade all around the range. There is even a range house with a real bathroom! At this point, it is definitely the closest Appleseed shoot for me. (I'm in Vienna.) BeSwift was the other IIT and VaShooter was the SB. It is a great place to take your NoVa friends to their first Appleseed. There are a few more on the schedule, but I hear they fill up quickly.

agshooter

anyone a member at IWLA in centreville as well?  I was out there today sighting in my new scope.  Figure there have to be a few appleseeders that are members there.

Cheeks

I'm a member there. I was there Saturday and Sunday, but didn't make it out today. I tried Skeet and Trap yesterday for the first time. That was fun. I wish the Rifle/Pistol range was setup so that you can do more Appleseed friendly stuff, though. Saturday I did spend a good bit of time working on the Standing position. I'm heading up to do a shoot in Chambersburg, PA next weekend. It will be my second as IIT. If you'd like to ride up with us, just let me know. I live in Vienna, VA and we're heading up very early Saturday. -Cheeks

Cheeks

There is a "Fun Service Rifle" match at Izaak Walton in Centerville tomorrow. There are relays at 4pm and 5:30pm.

Here is the info I have: Email the guy for more info, it IS open to non-members.

Fun Service Rifle Match

These matches have been a successful long running pro-gram of the Arlington-Fairfax chapter. The matches are designed to challenge experienced shooters while giving new shooters a chance to experience a rifle match in a casual environment. We follow the standard service rifle format but are more relaxed in what kind of rifle we allow. If you want to shoot your favorite deer rifle as long as it has iron sites, no scope we will allow it.
We shoot in 3 classes which accommodates a range of shooter skills and experience. Our many experienced shooters are gen-erous with their time and advice. Come join us, we shoot the second Thursday of every month April through October. We have a ca-tered barbeque following the October match. Cost is $5 per match. You will need 50 rounds for the match plus practice/sighting in ammo.
This year's remaining match dates are:

12 August
9 September For more information contact Forrest Fleming at forhflm@aol.com
14 October

agshooter

Cheeks, were you there?  I went yesterday (first service rifle shoot).  I had a great time.  Can't wait for next month.

Cheeks

I actually didn't go. I signed up before checking with my wife, and had forgotten that she had to work, and I had said I'd be home to get the kids. So I had to cancel. I do plan on going next month. How did you do?

agshooter

I shot in the Basic group. 

The first match I did poorly, I was still sighting my weapon in (just got the rear sight the night before and the rain prevented us from having a good practice time).  And scored a 337 but then match #2 I got my stuff straight and improved to a 415.  I was pretty happy about that, especially for my first time out.

I hope to get some range time before the next match.

Cheeks

So, if you shot in the Basic group, you couldn't use your sling, right? What is the highest possible score?