News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Stinson, WV - May 29-31

Started by siglite, May 31, 2010, 10:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siglite

I'm not 100% sure if it's my place to start the AAR.  If I'm stepping on anyone's toes, I certainly apologize, and we'll use it as a placeholder for the other instructors.  And I'm sure they'll have more to say about an excellent Appleseed weekend in Stinson.

We had an excellent instructor turnout.  So good in fact, that at times, we had or nearly a 1:1 instructor to shooter ratio.  We had so many instructors, I'm actually a little worried I'm going to forget someone!

On Saturday, we had:

Spanner
wvmmfalcon
The Machine
Vanrichten
Mountaineer

On Sunday and Monday, we had all of the above, except Vanrichten, and the addition of nc-17 and Chrome. 

Saturday was hot.  But our shooters and instructors persevered through the heat.  We watched the typical hot-day group patterns.  Start out big.  As the students started putting the marksmanship fundamentals together, they shrank.  Then as the heat began taking its toll, they grew a little.  We did our best to keep students and instructors well hydrated.  And they now know, if they can shoot accurately in that oppressive heat, imagine how they'll shoot on a 65 degree day with light and variable winds!

So, most of our shooters made it from Saturday to Sunday generally alive and uncooked from the heat, only to find that Sunday was HOTTER!  But the WV instructor corps, always helpful, put up tarps for shade.  I can't say for sure, but I think our shooters stayed cooler on the hotter day.  What a difference shade makes!  We also had some more shooters show up.

On Monday, we had pretty much the same crew from Sunday.  Less heat.  More clouds.  Lower temperatures.  And the sun, moon, stars, and the perseverance of the spirit of liberty aligned to produce a rifleman, and several shooters that were knocking on the door.  Congratulations to rob99rt!  We didn't quite convince him to pick up the orange hat just yet.  But we'll work on him. ;)

We also saw a couple of new red-hats this weekend.  Congrats to wvmmfalcon!

Personally, there was something at this Appleseed that stood out to me.   We had several youths on the firing line.  Their teachable, positive, can-do attitude was an absolute joy to work with as an instructor.  Every one of these kids improved over the space of the weekend.  And in all that heat, not one of them complained even once.  They persevered, they stayed on the line string after string working on putting the marksmanship principles into practice, with ever improving skill.

I've rambled enough.  So, now for my favorite part of the AAR, the pictures.  (Other folks will probably have more pictures to add)

NC-17 with the flags in the background while performing RSO duties:

rob99rt and his son (who has a contagious, positive, sunny disposition that just reverberated up and down the line and through the instructor corps) during a prep period:

wvmmfalcon helping Steve work through some equipment issues:

I imagine others will be along shortly with more pictures and commentary.

--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

rob99rt

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the great instruction this weekend for both Jon and myself.  Still amazed I made rifleman on my first appleseed, as I was not expecting that.  Heck, I was just hoping to break into the 190s.  Thanks for the patient instruction and being able to figure out what I was doing wrong, as well as the tips on improving the things I was finally getting right.  Being able to learn from guys who *KNOW* what they're doing and can reliably teach that information to others without getting frustrated even when those old habits are "dying hard" really shows the character of the appleseed instructors.  Furthermore, I just want to say that you guys are really good with teaching kids.  Jon learned a ton, and the fact you guys were willing to lay down on the ground and get showered with hot brass for 8 hours a day from an 8-year old is just amazing.

Keith's not kidding about the difference the shade made on Sunday.  That made all the difference in the world, IMO, between us simply wilting in the heat and being able to persevere until the end of the day and actually soak up all the great teaching.  That said, Frank, I'm soooooo glad you keep a few tarps handy.

Here are some pics I took.  High res pics are available if you need/want them.  Just email/IM me and I'll e-mail them to you.

And, since butterflies seemed to be everywhere this weekend:

- Rob

siglite

rob99rt,

Those are some GREAT pics!  The butterfly is awesome.

And I know you heard this from most, if not all of the instructors, but I'm going to say it again anyway.  Your son's positive, upbeat, can-do attitude was absolutely contagious.  He was a joy to teach.

And again, congratulations on making rifleman!
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

willorith

Hey guys:
I was thinking about taking in an event in WV this Summer. Can you get Oliverio's peppers in the Stinson area?
It would make the 14 hour drive worth while.

Willorith
We are but human.

Chrome

Quote from: willorith on June 03, 2010, 12:35:20 AM
Hey guys:
I was thinking about taking in an event in WV this Summer. Can you get Oliverio's peppers in the Stinson area?

Willorith

You mean Oliverio's in Morgantown?  I'd imagine not, but I'm sure I could bring some down with me.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineer

There's a restaurant in Morgantown called Classics that has them.

--- Mountaineer
In Liberty,
--- Mountaineer

"History has shown us that government leaders often ignore the fundamental fact that people demand both dignity and freedom. Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

brickhouse

QuoteHey guys:

Willorith

Willorith,
They sell them in jars here locally [Morgantown]. Just give a shout before you start driving north and I'll get you hooked up.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

willorith

You Mountaineers are just splendid people. I'll give a shout out when I'm hitting the road.

Thanks,
Willorith
We are but human.