News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Quick 5-10 RBC Progress report

Started by jmdavis, May 26, 2010, 08:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

It's hard to believe that we are already on day four of the May RBC. We've forged several new riflemen(and women) on the AQT anvil. We also have a full class who are either already bailing for Appleseed or will take on an orange hat.

Today is more work at 25m in the morning, along with 25m known distance zeroing. This afternoon, we move to classroom work in ballistics, target detection, range finding and wind. Then we will move out to the range for some actual target detection and range finding exercises.

More later...

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Old Dog

Man, you know how to hurt a guy.

I attended 02 07 at Ramseur, I helped teach at 03 (which was in May or June of 07), I visited for a couple of days during the RBC in August of 07, I helped teach for 2 or 3 days at 02 08, I helped teach at 06 09 (all in Ramseur) and I can sit here in the chair and "see" the ranges and the trees and almost smell the gunpowder.

Getting older and sicker sucks.  Glad you folks are enjoying it and getting it done.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

jmdavis

Our last cook, was able to score a 210 early this afternoon. His cheer was met by a happy familly running from their campsite to offer their congratulations.

New Riflemen:

Brickhouse (multiple times, scoped and irons)
Michelle (multiple times, scoped and irons)
Nathan (multiple times)
Hugh (multiple times)
Doug (last aqt before the KD class)

In addition we had several previous riflemen who made the grade yet again. Dan, Smithy, Firewall99 and Heavy Cav are all porevious riflemen who have once again proven that they know well what they are about.

We are at 21 AQT's in addition to a number of practice AQT exercised to help with stages 2, 3, and 4 as well as some zero work using the stage 4 silouettes on the practice AQT.

The public and interal aar's will follow after the bootcamp. But there's a happy shoot boss at Ramseur tonight.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

smithy

It was great week!
The good:
Had opportunity to get to know great people like jmdavis, Lawrence, FuzzyMath, Heavy Cav, and all participants - all scored RM and accepted "orange"- if not already IIT or RH.
Was nice to see again people I met before.
Met and exceeded all expectations and objectives of learning during the event.
Had great time.
Scored over 200 on AQT with iron sides and under inspiration of Michelle when she scored RM, was able to do the same to. It is actually something I did not expect. But now , when I can hit over 210 without scope I can disregard all my previous scoped scores. Here I would like to thank Lawrence for his suggestion of techniques of performing 2-nd and 4th-a steps. It helps and just imagination of the target (can not see small targets) would not carry over 210.
Lawrence and FuzzyMath impressed me with their skills and proficiency in working the line. If you guys down south have such IITs how good are red hats  :D?
FuzzyMath especially impressed me with his presentation of conditions preceding Apr. 19 1775. It was excellent, short, precise, down to point, no excessive dwelling in details, inspiring to further personal studies and discoveries and at the same time interesting. It was example of the best presentation I've ever heard - o well, Fuzzy is I assume some kind of university professor, so it was easy for him (tong in chick) ;).
The bad:
I feel bad for been in the "taking" for all that time and not at all "giving". I should  and could be somewhat more helpful on line and not all that concentrated on personal learning. Feels as I was a little too selfish.
Also I could "translate" to Firewall "southern English - NO" to " New England - NO" :-[. As result of my not paying attention it was looking like I and Firewall attempted to take over KD range Sunday afternoon. My apologies Wild Man, Kokay and all range people. I can only promise to be more attentive in the future.
Now after I saw AS "mecca" I will visit it more often.
See ya'll  :) on the trail.
When society serves individual there is freedom......
When individual serves society there is slavery....                                                        Ayn Rand
When 70 million gun owners in America will know how to shoot strait, the only target they will ever need to hit will be a paper target

jmdavis

Smithy,

It was good to have you down. You worked really hard and I have no doubt that all of that work will pay off for Appleseed. I was especially pleased to hear your take on freedom, having immigrated from the Warsaw Pact during the Cold War.

I agree that Lawrence and Fuzzy Math (now a Red Hat, by the way) really came through for the Bootcamp. They are good men.

Mike