News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Attention IN Instructors: June 13th is KD Day!

Started by techres, May 24, 2010, 10:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

All Hoosier Instructors,

On June 13th Sur+Rifle and Mudcat will be hosting our Instructor KD day at Redbrush range in Evansville.  This will be our day as instructors to review KD instructions, methods, and practices all while actually shooting KD.

We will be doing traditional KD for when we have full distance ranges, and practicing the alternate options of KD for when only 100 or 200 yards are available.

Oh, and did I mention we will be shooting, rifles, with ammo, and having a ball?  Yep!

Now, this is only for instructors and those who have been asked to be instructors.  There will be no students there other than us.  That will allow us to be frank, focussed, and creative.

So, please, let me know that you are coming.  And come.

Techres

P.S. Those of us in the Bloomington area will be carpooling.  I suggest the same if it helps for others as well.

P.P.S. Bring Rifles and plenty of ammo.  8)
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

ATM

Hello? Bueller?  ??? I hope the PMs have been flying (I sent one.)
I plan to attend and am open to carpooling options if anyone cares to join me for the trip from west central IN (Crawfordsville here.)
So... how many are going to make it?
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

hawkhavn

I'll be there with a Jeep full of Instructors (I hope!)

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Mudcat

I have coming.
Me, XDman, heavy Duty, KYjam, Brdholman, Garand fan, Riflegirl, milk&cookies.
Camping will be available if anyone wants to. Remember we can shoot at Red Brush until midnight under the lights on Saturday night.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

techres

I will be there fresh back from Saturday @ Miamisburg.  TBE is coming and I am sure there are others.  Sadly, DaveD will not be able to join us.

kentuckyjam

brdholman and I will need 1 spot for camping at the lake.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

PHenry

Nothing brings what we teach home like a few holed in the V ring of a D target when fired from 500 yards.  O0

I highly recommend a man-sized cutout near the firing line - just off to the right or left, for front sight ranging and recording. Recording is the operative term - make good use of your time and ammo and record all come-ups in real time for each rifle / round used and keep for use during the KD section at events. Blue masking tape works for me - on the buttstock of every rifle.  :---

Marksmanship - one the fine traditions of our ancestors!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Bill 3

Will be coming down Saturday afternoon/evening.  Depending on where people are, I should have room for a couple of people in the truck.  If no takers - I'll just drive the car.

ATM - I still owe you that tent - will pull it out of storage this week....

See you all this weekend...

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

ATM

Quote from: Bill 3 on June 07, 2010, 11:33:18 AM
ATM - I still owe you that tent - will pull it out of storage this week....

Man, and I just finished waterproofing my sleeping bag.  ;D

Fill up that truck and haul 'em down from the north!

YHJ and I are carpooling down to spend the night Saturday, depending on when others plan to show up.

Who else?

Bill 3

"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

techres

I will be at Miamisburg on Sat but will leave in time to get to HH and the carpool down.  Count on me with one tent.  Hope it does NOT rain this time.

hawkhavn

Bill,

We cannot camp at Red Brush this time, so we are using Scales Lake Park about 10 minutes away.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

TBE

Please count me in for primitive camping.  I'll be in Bloomfield to catch a ride with HH & friends Sat. and will be prepared to camp overnight.  I hope I can find a couple of trees for the hammock.  If not, there is always the bivy sack. 

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

yellowhousejake

Quote from: techres on May 24, 2010, 10:08:13 PM

P.P.S. Bring Rifles and plenty of ammo.  8)

Define "plenty of ammo." 200 rnds of 22LR and 100 rnds of centerfire enough?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

Quote from: yellowhousejake on June 10, 2010, 01:28:23 PM

YHJ

Probably, but I am gonna bring more just in case. 

Do we have a head count? 

I want to send out a COI/Itinerary/"Make Sure We Do These List" PM and need to know who all to send it to.  This will be Mudcat & Sur+'s show but there are some things we really need to make sure get done, and some of them on camera.

I will have my camera, but anyone with a DV camera would be greatly appreciated as well.  The more the merrier.

As long as I can get it in the jeep, I will have 100 & 200 yard steel with me to put up as my "Under $100 KD Kit". 

Evansville crew, do you have the full KD targets on hand or do we need to bring targets down with us?

Mudcat

I have a few KD targets. Did you get my PM yesterday Josh?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

techres

Quote from: Mudcat on June 10, 2010, 08:38:03 PM
I have a few KD targets. Did you get my PM yesterday Josh?

Holy cow!  I missed it.  Doing anything at the national level is a way to get pages of PM's every day and have stuff fall through the cracks.  I am replying now.

Thank you for making this happen, it is gonna be a ball!

ATM

YHJ

22LR @ 500 yds?  :cool2: wow. I just planned to bring an AR and M1.

Also, what time will folks be arriving Saturday?

techres

Quote from: ATM on June 10, 2010, 09:29:10 PM

Also, what time will folks be arriving Saturday?

I am bringing an AR15 in .223 for sure, and will have an AR22 on hand too for the 100 & 200 yard .22lr steel challenge...

If I can make it back to the house between Ohio and Indiana in time, I will also grab the SBR Krink to create a real challenge!

Quick synopsis of the goals we are going to do on Sunday (longer one to follow):

• Zero All rifles at 25 yards just like our students all would using sighter squares.
  • Explain why KD days are so vital and why KD must be done at every seed.
  • Do a traditional KD instruction and run through amongst ourselves using all the distance we have and the large KD targets.
  • Do a Modified KD instruction and run through 100 & 200 yard with centerfire & steel targets.
  • Do a Modified KD 100 & 200 yard KD with .22lr & steel targets.
  • Record instruction and explanation with examples of the KD for later distribution in the program.
  • Talk about the next 6 months for Indiana and what is coming nationally.

Be prepared for all of the above.

Bring ammo, bring rifles, bring your instructor hats & appropriate clothing.  (I need to be able to use the pics we take so don't wear anything I will take flak for later, please!).

Finally, if we end up finishing our Appleseed KD for the day a bit early and do something more INGO later, that is fine too so long as the hats are off as soon as the INGO stuff starts. 

What will we need?

• A 25 meter line that we can zero on.
  • A 100 and 200 yard place I can pound steel target holders (yard signs) into the ground.  I will have steel with me.
  • A place to put up regular KD targets at full distance.  We can also hang steel if we need to.  I will bring extra.

I have some of the full sized KD targets.  I will bring what I have. 

I will send a more detailed COI soon. 

Thanks again everyone!

Techres

yellowhousejake

Quote from: ATM on June 10, 2010, 09:29:10 PM

YHJ

But of course, never underestimate the lowly 22 LR.

http://www.hickokfamilygenealogy.com/Lethality_of_the_22_LR.html

If I had enough elevation adjustment with the techsights I would try it. But at this point I am not certain the techsights will give me enough elevation for 200 yards. Maybe I should swipe the Williams target peep off my 375 Winchester, just for the weekend...   ;D

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Mudcat

Just for those that are interested some of us will be at the range on saturday evening say 6:00pm. So if you would like to join us feel free.
My cell # is 812 431 4087

Mudcat
--George Washington

Bill 3

Would you advise checking in at the campground first?

Bill of Rights

I told Techres in a PM a while back that I was not looking forward to the long drive, but I will miss the camaraderie of the day. I, unfortunately, am working and unable to get out of the shift.

Have fun, take some good pictures, and I will experience it vicariously.

Blessings to all,
Bill
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

Mudcat

That is up to you Bill. I know you have set up camp in the dark before. If you want to set up camp and come by afterward that is fine and is what I would do most likely.
--George Washington

dean

I wish all of you well. I hope that you have a great time. I know you will. Redbrush is just too far for me especially since we will be shooting at 200 and 300 yards at my home range the 12th and the 13th.

Regards
Dean

techres