News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IIT's & Instructors,, Mechanicsville next week is almost full.

Started by FiremanEd, May 20, 2010, 02:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanEd

Hey guys and gals,

Mechanicsville is almost full for next week. Right now we only only have 4 Instructors signed up. If you can get signed up and plan on coming. If you can only make it one day just let me know so we can plan, or just show up.

We'd promised VAShooter he wouldn't have to teach this year in VA. We need atleast one or two more folks to be sure that he can sit back in the shade and "supervise" instead of working the line.

We've gotten a good influx off new IIT's and we're sitting pretty "fat & happy" right now so if you can make it out, get signed up.

For you the new IIT's send a "PM" to "InstructorScheduling" asking them to add you to the instructor list, with the name and date in the title and message body.

See you all there,

Eddie
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

VAshooter

I'm pretty sure Norm Chandler Sr. (some of you may have heard of him) is bringing his 11 year old grand daughter to this Appleseed. He advertises Appleseed on his website for Iron Brigade Armory and speaks well of Appleseed and the quality of Appleseed Instructors at the many gun shows he attends.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at Black Creek in a couple weeks.

VAshooter

VTMountaineer

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

Does anyone know if it is cool to camp on site Friday night?

Old Dog

A couple of folks camped out there last year/year before, too.

The tents were set up over behind the range cover near the trees.  There is a restroom a short distance away.  Nice flat ground.  Rain is predicted Friday night/Saturday morning as the cold front comes through.

Good luck, have fun.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

FiremanEd

Quote from: VTMountaineer on May 26, 2010, 09:41:39 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

Does anyone know if it is cool to camp on site Friday night?

Sure is, when you go down the drive way the 1st range on the right is the one we'll be on. The best spot to camp is up in the corner to range right just behind the covered firing line. This will put you right beside the plywood scoring wall to the right. This puts you out of the way for Sat so you won't have to break down your camp. The restroom is the small brick building on the right if you cut around the corner, past the wind mill.

When you get there, walk on down to the shop, behind the house, and ask for Mr. Young, tell him you're with us. He just likes to keep up with who's there and if you go find him instead of him finding you he'd appreciate it.

Woody and I are planning to be there as near to 7,,,, or 7:30 as I can get rolling in the morning.

See you then.

Eddie

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

FiremanEd

Quote from: jmdavis on May 20, 2010, 02:45:18 AM
Don't firemen ever sleep?

sometimes but we prefer to not use any schedule. tired/sleep, not tired = surf web all night...   

ok,, some of us are a little "different"... but then again, your reply was a little late for a "normal person"...

VAshooter

Since this is Memorial Day weekend, I would like to expand on FiremanEd's signature line.

I sleep well at night knowing those men are protecting my country. Let's all take a moment to think about, and thank those who stand ready.

VAshooter

sashok.privetov

Quote from: VAshooter on May 27, 2010, 11:37:57 AM
Since this is Memorial Day weekend, I would like to expand on FiremanEd's signature line.

I sleep well at night knowing those men are protecting my country. Let's all take a moment to think about, and thank those who stand ready.

VAshooter

Thank you for your support.  I know that I stand ready because I know there are others who make this country worth protecting.

Ed, Edd, and Eddie--
Here I am, all signed in as requested, do your worst.
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

pbcook

I was quite pleased when my wife agreed to accompany me to last weekend's Appleseed.  Realistically, I thought she was just humoring me and would suffer through the heat of Saturday and call it a weekend, but I underestimated her.  She fired a gun for the first time in her life the day before as I took her to an indoor range so we could zero her new Tech Sight.  However, I could tell by mid-morning that she was enjoying herself, and even after she got a pretty nasty burn from some hot brass, she kept shooting.  So 24 hours after firing her first shot, she managed a 118 on her first AQT.  And she insisted that we come back for the Sunday session. 

Saturday night she went and found Fred's blog and wrote down the six steps on a note card and kept it with her at the range on Sunday.  I caught myself studying it a few times when we were in preparation phase.  And just before we called it a weekend, things started to click.  Towards the end of the Appleseed I was finally able to start "calling my shot."  And I started to see on some of my shots that the front sight not being where it had been when I initially started pulling the trigger.  And sure enough, on the final AQT, our "drafted" IIT pointed out some of my sloppy trigger work.  Trying to put the pieces together, the final redcoat was the best shooting I've ever done.  I didn't get all the 300-400 yard shots in the red, but the grouping was tightest of the weekend.  I'd like to see how we'd do if we can make it to Montpelier next week...

Overall, it was a great way to spend Memorial Weekend.  I did feel like we honored the memories of the fallen in a unique and fitting way.  The wife even dug up a copy of "Paul Revere's Ride" from the library this week.  So something inside of her clicked too.  That's what I'm starting to realize, if you don't leave an Appleseed feeling a little bit different, then you weren't paying attention.

Last, but not least, a big thanks to the instructors...we're still "cooks," but we're getting better...

FiremanEd

That's great PDCook,

Stories or posts like yours are what makes the time and effort all worthwhile. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your weekend and learned something to improve your personal marksmanship but I'm ecstatic to hear that you got your wife to come and that she had such a good time. As you said, she went and dug up a copy of Paul Revere's ride so "something clicked inside of her too." Great job to you for getting her to come and then supporting her to be sure she had a good time. Not that she's experienced the "click", she may be pushing you to come back to your next Appleseed.

Congrats on your improvements! I hope to see you next week so you can work on and hopefully get your Riflemans Patch, but more important than a patch, you've already succeeded in motivating and supporting your wife! Great Job!! My wife tells me I push a little too much sometimes but I'll just make a suggestion for you and your wonderful wife, when you come to Montpelier or Buckingham in the next few weeks, both of you should bring a friend so they can experience that feeling of awakening and patriotism that you felt this past weekend. That's how Appleseed doubles in size every year.

See you soon,