News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Our Fallen Brother

Started by Scarecrow, May 07, 2010, 04:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

Since it is so late I am using no phone calls to report in.
I probably would be unable to speak anyway.
I am informed that Don Bell, our state coordinator for Oklahoma has passed away today.
Don had within the last 36 hours made a change in his pain meds and it appears that the dosage prescribed was too high.
I did not press to get any details from his daughter at this time.
Undoubtedly the morphine put him to sleep and stopped his heart.
Don had been having health issues for years and was taking several different meds just to keep him going this long.
I knew he could not carry on forever but this has blindsided me.
Apart from family, Don was the best friend I ever had in life, period.
I never had an older brother, being as I am the first born to my parents.
Don made up for that fact in spades.
He was my older brother in every way that counts. 
I would not be here on the Appleseed Trail if it were not for Don.
We attended our our first AS together last year April 19th weekend.
Don brought me back to hunting several years ago after I had given up on hunting public lands.
Be cause he did that I was able to realize the goals, dreams and trophies of a deer hunter.
Don wanted so badly to score Rifleman on the AQT but his body just would not let him do so.
I shall do so in his stead.
I'm not far from pulling this off. Made score a couple times in practice, just need consistency and do it at an event to make it official.
"The Patch", will go on the shooting jacket that Don himself gave me just as we got started here last year.
This is the jacket he wore as a member of the USMC pistol team back in the 60's.
He also served as a 'tunnel rat' in Vietnam.
Everyone understand that no one wears the "Globe and Anchor" without qualifying to rifleman standard.
I would like to put together a twenty one gun salute exclusive with M1,M14 and M1A at a shoot sometime this year
to honor him and other Marines that have fallen recently and have it video taped.
Hell, let's make it FIFTY!!!

Perhaps during the upcoming RBC at Eureka, KS.
I am already signed up to be there.
Don wanted to go with us but he knew he could not do a week of July sun.
Would that I could be half the man of character that Don was.
Thankfully, he knew how much I loved him so no regret on that count.
It will be a long row to hoe without him.
Semper Fi Don.

RedNekEngr

Scarecrow,
Sorry about the loss of such a great friend.  They don't come along very often, and we all sure hate to give up anyone that is such an inspiration in our lives.  Sounds like Appleseed lost one great man also.  You and Don's family will be in my prayers.

RNE
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

alonso1

Scarecrow

I'm sorry for your (our) loss.

I have many, many people in my life who I'm acquainted with, but only a handful of friends.  I am truly sorry.

My prayers go out to Don's family, friends, and the OK crew.

God bless you.

Mark

Greg in MO

Scarecrow,

My condolences to you and the family on this great loss.

I am planning on being at the Eureka RBC, and my M1A is at your service.  I would be honored.

Greg

DaveD

Condolences on the loss of a true friend.

My prayers for you and the Don's family..

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

cmidkiff

My condolences to you and Don's family.

If there's anything your neighbors in Missouri can do to assist in troubled times, please let me know.

SamD

Very sorry to hear of Don's passing.
He was a strong voice for your state, liberty and Appleseed.
Brought passion to the job, something we all benefit from.
Some people believe in what they are doing, he left no doubt on that score.

SamD

The ][rishman

My condolences to family and friends.  Don is an inspiration; always willing to help.  

It would be an privilege to honor Don here in KS during the RBC.  My M1A is also at your service.

][
III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abĂș
KD0OHT

EEL

Scarecrow,
Sorry for your loss, my brother  :'(

I don't think anyone here would object if a Rifleman patch were to be slipped in with Don for when he reaches the other side.

My prayers are with you and his family.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Josey Wales

..The New York Appleseed Family sends out it's deepest condolences..
........Respectfully, Josey Wales......
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

henschman

I am greatly saddened by this news.  Over the year that I had the honor of knowing Don, it became abundantly clear that he was a true gentleman and a man of rare charachter.  He struck me as a man who knew exactly what he valued, and was willing to do whatever it took to advance those things... in other words, he was a man who knew VERY MUCH what he was about.  The Appleseed Project will be much poorer for this loss, as he was a real asset to the program.  No one could ask for a better State Coordinator.

Does anyone have access to 7.62x51 and .30-06 blanks for us to do a proper 21-gun salute with?  Or maybe Don would have preferred us to put hot lead downrange in his remembrance.  However we choose to honor him, my M1 and M1A are available.

I hope to see many of you at the service.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

spitstickler

Sorry to hear about Don's passing. My condolences to you, his family, and all his other friends.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

The Kid

I never had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman but from the words spoken here I can get a sense of the mans character, and it certianly was not lacking.  I offer my condolences to his friends and family. Hearing that he was a Vet reminded me of the quote.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

The Kid
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

Cowdog

prayers and condolences from  Western Pennsylvania to both the family of Don Bell and the RWVA fellowship who are feeling his loss. 
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Boba Fett

Quote from: EEL on May 07, 2010, 12:02:32 PM
I don't think anyone here would object if a Rifleman patch were to be slipped in with Don for when he reaches the other side.

Amen EEL! There's a whole lot more to being a Rifleman than just the score. Sure sounds like Don was worthy of it in so many ways.
Hang in there Scarecrow. You've got a really big family here and we're all holding you and Don's family up in prayer.

BF

SavageShootr

Don certainly had the heart of a Rifleman. He will be missed. Appleseed has lost a true friend.

God Bless.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Jungle George

Don is a sad loss for AS and our country that he served so well.  I am sure he too will be sitting on top of the wall when I pass by again.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Ratchett

Scarecrow,

The loss for Appleseed and Oklahoma is immense, however it pales to the loss you and his family will bear. Find comfort in the knowledge that he was a man of God! As you also told us, he was a "tunnel rat" in Nam. He has fought in the bowels of Hell and now goes Home to his hero's welcome. In his renewed body he will return to fight with the Mighty Warrior who rides the white horse. Continuing down our narrow Godly road, may we fight alongside Don once again!

Much love and prayers to you and the Bell family. Keep the faith!

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

JoeZ

Our condolences and prayers are yours from WI.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

oldgrunt

As of tonight Don's farewell will be on Tuesday..Sometime around 1500 in Shawnee at the blackburn Baptist chapel..The Graveside service will be at the same location...

Heres where we step in ...I need 7 of you guyz to come and take part in a 21 gun salute..The Family wants this to be a Appleseed ran event and I know of a few that will make it happen..

I myself can make it happen I just need a few to bring AR's or the M1's .We are hunting up blanks for the 223 dont know what we can do about other rounds..If any of you have a 50 rounds laying around plz help us out with this task ....Been awhile since I had this detail in the Army but I can do it ..Never done this for a person I know guess it will b specail to all of us

Contact any of the Oklahoma crew we will do what we can..

Thanks OG ..out
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

R1SGx2

Right hand salute!

Ready,.......two.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

henschman

I think Matt the IIT has some .223 blanks... I'll ask him.  I'll check out the gun store around here and see if there are any .30 cal blanks.

I would certainly be willing to participate in the 21-gun salute.  Either way I'll be at the service.  I'm just glad it doesn't conflict with any of my finals, as I would hate to miss it.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

henschman

Yep, I just called Matt, and he said he has plenty of .223 and .308 blanks, and he is willing to participate too.

As for .30-06, I don't know.  I'll have to check the gun shop here in town.

Scarecrow

Matt, thanks a million.
I can make 30-06 with primers if someone plans on M1 or 1903A3, etc.