News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Adaptive Appleseed at Silver Springs

Started by douglas34474, May 05, 2010, 06:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas34474

I was handing out fliers for the Silver Springs event in a little under two weeks. As I was doing so, a lady asked me can we accommodate a handicapped person. I asked what the issue was and she said that a 14 year old girl is a paraplegic and in a wheel chair. She said that she shoots with her father and knows how to handle a rifle. I said that I would make inquiries.

Do I go back and tell the lady we can do it, or tell her 'no.'

I'd rather tell her we can do it.  O0  What do you say?

Douglas

Fred

Douglas: The operative word is always "yes", subject only to being able to handle the rifle safely... O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

douglas34474

That was the first time I have been asked. I figured 'YES' was the answer, just wanted to check before I committed.

So I'll drop by and let her know.

Douglas

PHenry

Douglas,
There is a program in place for this issue and a good man in charge of it. Scour the forum and see what u can find. If you cannot find the info - let me know and I will make inquires. I am embarrassed  that I cannot real it off top of cranium, but it is what is is and I yam what I yam.  :-[
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Mogget

echodog

Hey Doug,
I worked with a parapelegic gentleman at the Gainesville shoot and yes it can be done.  I will be more than happy to work with her myself.
Liberty's Daughter

douglas34474

I have followed the Adaptive AS thread for a while. Like I said, I just wanted to be sure before I spoke.

I will drop by tomorrow and let her know we can make it work.  ;)

Liberty's Daughter, I'm sure with our crew we can make anything work! I'll see you there. As always, it will be a shining time.  O0

desertrat144

If you run into problems at the shoot, PM me at desertrat144@hotmail.com. If you think you may need it, PM me for phone number.  

You should be OK with young lady in question, just follow her feed back on limitations & pain.

Tom
A.AS

To everyone following this thread, Adaptive Appleseed exists to help get as many less than able bodied folks on to the range.  With the busy season approaching, if you have any doubts or questions PLEASE ASK US the general mailbox is adaptive_appleseed@yahoo.com.  I check it daily, and will start doing it more frequently as summer approaches.  The only shooters not allowed are those precluded from the use and/or ownership of firearms.  As always, the shooter should be directed to the Adaptive Appleseed Public Boards at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=266.0 for info of what is expected of the participant.  This is to help them have an enjoyable experience with Appleseed.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

ThaiFighter

I am sure that between doug's and LD's brains and echodog's and my brawn, we can accommodate this shooter's needs to the finest detail.  I look forward to meeting her on the line.

W
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

desertrat144

You guys will do great.  Thai, you've BTDT if I recall correctly.  I hope someone will get some pictures, if the young lady isn't camera shy.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

douglas34474

The lady was not in when I dropped by, but I left a message that her grand-daughter was more than welcome and we would accommodate her needs.

I will try to get by again this weekend and see if she plans to attend.

Douglas

Unbridled Liberty

There is at least one book about this subject:
Teaching Shooting Sports to Persons With Disabilities
Robin B. Taylor, Dennis M. Carpenter
Outdoor Empire Pub Co
A bit dated but there may be some useful info there.  I am a RESNA certified Assistive Technology Professional, employed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"