News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AZ Shoot Publicity Tracking for 2010

Started by AZRedhawk44, May 05, 2010, 01:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

SB's and IIT's in AZ:

We don't have a "publicity director" for our state.  Frankly, I'd just as soon not create a whole bunch of titles/duties and assign them to people, because it gets to be a drag pretty quickly when one person is the "publicity director" or "gun show coordinator" or any other such thing.  We have 16 events this year, of which we still have 10 to go.

Fred will undoubtedly want us to get 30+ events next year. ~~:)

One "publicity director" would be awfully burdened trying to coordinate information outlets for all those shoots, all over the state.

So:  If you're signed up as an instructor at a shoot, I'm tasking you with taking three steps to help publicize your event and get shooters on the line for it.

Please post your 3 steps here for your events.  I'll start:

Kingman May29-30:
1.  Contacted Kingman Daily Miner newspaper with story lead, and event to put on their community calendar.
2.  Posted event on various firearms enthusiast forums (TFL, NDE, AZ Rifle Shooting)
3.  (Haven't done yet, but will-do: Contact gun stores in Kingman area and ask to send them fliers that they will give to new rifle purchasers)

AZbinary

well,

I'm already leaving generic Appleseed pamphlets (courtesy of Josey Wales) at my local gun shops, and will bring some to the Southeast Regional range this weekend.

Of course, there's seventh stepping, and I'm sure prospecting will get better when there's events a little closer, so getting off the couch won't be such a shock.

Not sure the local paper would be interested in listing distant events on the weekend calendar, but I do hope to talk to the local radio personality if he follows through with his tour.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: AZbinary on May 05, 2010, 09:11:50 PM
well,

I'm already leaving generic Appleseed pamphlets (courtesy of Josey Wales) at my local gun shops, and will bring some to the Southeast Regional range this weekend.

Of course, there's seventh stepping, and I'm sure prospecting will get better when there's events a little closer, so getting off the couch won't be such a shock.

Not sure the local paper would be interested in listing distant events on the weekend calendar, but I do hope to talk to the local radio personality if he follows through with his tour.

AZB

Binary:  If your event isn't in the next couple months, then there's no need to do anything right now.

This thread isn't a general "hey let's list how we are promoting Appleseed."

This is deliberately for AZ instructors to keep track of specific marketing techniques for specific shoots on the immediate event horizon.  We don't want two or three different people doing the exact same thing as a promotions technique for a shoot... it's not as productive as those two or three people doing different things to attract different population segments. 

It's assumed that all of us are doing our general 7th stepping.

AZbinary

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZbinary

Just saw this posted, Cheaper than dirt has a shooting events calendar.  You can add our Appleseed events from this page  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ShootingEvents/

Hope that helps,

M
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

Since I am sure there are a set of standard publicity methods/outlets for each shooting location, I would like to float the idea of developing a list that includes information on these standard publicity methods broken down by location. This would make it easy to assign portions of the responsibilities to each member of the shoot staff. Things like organization, address/phone, phone, e-mail, etc. - you get the picture.

That being said, I also think it's important to always be looking for new ways to reach out to the public. Of course we should all be coming up with ideas on our own, but I think it would be productive to query attendees for ideas about where they would expect to find info in their area on events - this may result in some really good locations to get the word out in that particular area.

Vladmir