News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sons of the American Revolution Oration Contest

Started by RedNekEngr, May 02, 2010, 09:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedNekEngr

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Ohio, you have amongst you a lady that knows very well what she is about.  My beautiful and very talented daughter (known to you fellow Appleseeders as Ishy) who never ceases to amaze me with her grit and determination, one that doesn't let her physical limitation inhibit her strive to become the best person, friend, citizen, and servant she can be is now the Sons of the American Revolution's Ohio State oration champion for high school students!!! ..:..   Several of you heard her presentation of "Women of the American Revolution" as part 3 of Athens Appleseed's youthful history presentation along with Suki Dear and Haley.  From that presentation at the Athens Appleseed last fall, these wonderful representatives of our posterity have given their presentation either as a group or individually to the Athens Fish & Game Club, The Athens Chapter of We Surround Them, and the Ewing's Chapter of the SAR.  The SAR asked Ishy to represent their chapter at the state competition held yesterday in Chillicothe.  Repeating the words of two of the judges, "It wasn't even close."  At the awards presentation last night, she was given a very nice certificate and a handsome monetary prize from this wonderful group of dedicated patriots.  Ishy will now represent Ohio in the National competition in Cleveland, OH in June.  Keep her in your prayers.

Now, in true Appleseed form, Ishy didn't just stop there.  She took the opportunities presented her all night long to 7th step.  Whenever asked how she entered the competition, chose her topic, etc., she was quick to make her pitch for Appleseed. ^:)^  That's my girl!!!  (by the way, she stressed only marksmanship and heritage!!!!!)

Anyhow, I guess my head is as swelled with pride as it can be as can be told from my lengthy boasting.  Please forgive me.

On a sad note, I had a conversation with a gentleman after the awards ceremony that brought me back down to earth.  He told me that it is increasingly difficult to get public school kids to enter this competition.  Most of you know, due to our convictions, we home school all of our children.  This doesn't mean we think less of public schools or refuse to support public schools.  We do wish success for our school systems and pray for them often.  We even participate with afterschool extracurricular activities with public school kids year-round.  We know that our school system plays a vital role in this nation's success. 

Parents play the most vital role in a child's success, so the parents MUST be involved with their children in every aspect of their lives while growing up.  And if our children aren't given that support and direction from their parents and elders, but instead left with alternatives, they will turn to our left-of-center RAN educational institutions, their immature friends, and the least desirable media to be their sources of inspiration. 

Parents are ever increasingly choosing to allow their place in their children's lives to be rooted out with other sources of direction.  If we as Appleseeders want to rant on about apathy, it has to start with our children.  If you want to make a difference in your country, start with your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and the neighbor children.  Ladies and gentlemen, the children are where the true mission field is at.  Hitler turned his nation into fascists not by convincing all of the adults they needed to go down that path, he made changes in the educational system that reflected his ideals.   And over time (and it wasn't that long) he was able to redefine Germany.  Are you as Americans apathetic with your children's education?  Are you involved with their educators?  Are you checking out their friends?  Are you making those difficult and unpleasant decisions for the good of your posterity?

You see, I believe the reason that the lack of participation in the SAR oration contest by public school children is only a symptom of a greater cancer out there.  It only takes a few minutes of watching the news to confirm my opinion.  True history is being squashed and being replaced with this feel good politically correct garbage.  There is an ever increasing push that someone cannot be a TRUE American hero unless they are perfect in every way.  An example is the movement to eliminate Jefferson as the hero he was because of his involvement in slave ownership.  Now, I don't condone slave ownership, but in the Lord's eyes - sin is sin.  From the good book only remember Christ's handling of the crowd that wanted to stone the prostitute when he stated "Let him that is without blemish cast the first stone."  I must say shame on those that want to discount the enormous contributions from Jefferson because of this one glaring flaw.  Do you think my fellow minority American brothers and sisters would be enjoying the privileges we all enjoy today without Jefferson's tireless efforts?

Well I've given you a taste of my passion about parental involvement albeit a lengthy taste.  For those that endured this entire post, please consider what place you have in leading our posterity out of the pits of apathy.  Please with all you have, spend some of that quality time you devote to whatever is your passion, with the kids.  Look around, we aren't getting any younger and the window of opportunity to make a difference in a child's life really isn't that long when considering how long it takes to shape a young mind.

Thanks,
RNE
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

George T

RNE/Ishy,

Congratulations Ishy, you are an inspiration and source of pride to all who know you.

And of course, your parents are due no less praise for their part.

Thanks RNE and DOM for saving our country through God-like parenting.

George T

Evenstar

WAY TO GO, ISHY!!! :D Congrats! Very exciting!  ..:..

You are definitely an inspiration to me!  :cool2:
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Western Rose

Well done!! So glad you did it, Ishy! So happy for you!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

God bless!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Ratchett

ISHY!!! So very proud of you and all your hard work. You make it seem so effortless, yet we know the hours and determination you put into all that you do. WOW girl you are a blessing to us all!! Angels are singing in Heaven. ^:)^

Ratchett

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

didactic

And John Adams is looking down and feeling a little less repentant.   O0 :bow:
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

GoldFish

Amazing job, Ish!  You are an inspiration to everyone you come in contact with, especially Appleseeders!  This is more proof that there still are young Americans out there that are willing to stand up for what they believe.  Congratulations!  

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

ItsanSKS

Has anyone made a recording of said oration?

Would certainly love to hear it, and I'm sure others would as well...

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Hoover

Wow!!  I am so struck by both the journey and achievement.  Thank-you for sharing your thoughts as well; they resonate well placed concern for country and pride of family.

SamD

Well RNE,
We knew Sara was exceptional anyway.
I suspect this is just a taste of bigger things in her future.
You have every right to be proud of her.

If you can get us a copy, I'll get it on Rifleman radio
and Scout would love to interview her.

RedNekEngr

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

SamD and ItsanSKS, I'll see what I can do about that recording.

RNE
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

Ishy

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments.  And thank you, Dad, for the post even though the praise was WAY over-done.   ::)

If it weren't for Appleseed, I wouldn't have even entered the oration contest.  If it weren't for Appleseed, I never would have researched the fascinating story of Nancy Morgan Hart and written my speech about her.  So thank you, Appleseed team, for getting me started on this small but significant journey.

Pray for me when I compete at the national level in June.   :D

Ishy
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

MeanStreaker

Way to go Ishy!  We're blessed to have you on the Appleseed team!!!!

(I believe DryFire got some video of Ishy's presentation at the Feb Athens IBC).   :cool2:
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Faitmaker

Congrats Ishy.  Well done.  Don't understate your achievement. 

RPD

Way to go Sara!!!   ..:..

When I first heard the speech I knew it was special, and delivered by a very special young woman.
When and where is the National competition?  Need to keep the prayer list updated!

God Bless,
RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Ishy

The national competition is in Cleveland on June 27.  Thanks for the prayers!   :)
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

desertrat144

Sara- Congratulations on your achievement!  Rob- looks like you're doing things right.  If copies, or recordings of Sara's presentation become available, please let me know the details.

QuoteNow, in true Appleseed form, Ishy didn't just stop there.  She took the opportunities presented her all night long to 7th step.  Whenever asked how she entered the competition, chose her topic, etc., she was quick to make her pitch for Appleseed.   That's my girl!!!  (by the way, she stressed only marksmanship and heritage!!!!!)
I can only imagine the looks on folks faces that minimize 2A, or any of the Rights our forefathers/mothers fought for, or believed in.

QuoteAnyhow, I guess my head is as swelled with pride as it can be as can be told from my lengthy boasting.  Please forgive me.
You are entitled!  If Sara is any indication of your & Mrs. RNE's schooling skills, you'll be doing a lot more in the next decade!

QuoteOn a sad note, I had a conversation with a gentleman after the awards ceremony that brought me back down to earth.  He told me that it is increasingly difficult to get public school kids to enter this competition.  ...Parents play the most vital role in a child's success, so the parents MUST be involved with their children in every aspect of their lives while growing up.  And if our children aren't given that support and direction from their parents and elders, but instead left with alternatives, they will turn to our left-of-center RAN educational institutions, their immature friends, and the least desirable media to be their sources of inspiration.  

Parents are ever increasingly choosing to allow their place in their children's lives to be rooted out with other sources of direction.  If we as Appleseeders want to rant on about apathy, it has to start with our children.  If you want to make a difference in your country, start with your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and the neighbor children.  Ladies and gentlemen, the children are where the true mission field is at.  Hitler turned his nation into fascists not by convincing all of the adults they needed to go down that path, he made changes in the educational system that reflected his ideals.   And over time (and it wasn't that long) he was able to redefine Germany.  Are you as Americans apathetic with your children's education?  Are you involved with their educators?  Are you checking out their friends?  Are you making those difficult and unpleasant decisions for the good of your posterity?
Very well stated, and absolutely true.  My daughters fought me when I wanted to read their History(?), Government and Social Studies (Engineering?) class books at home- they were eye openers!  Also very scare, as the years passed were the lessons and accomplishments of the Founding Fathers which were greatly diminished, or redacted.  As you stated, we as parents, grand parents, &c. must take an active role in educational matters.

Congratulations again!

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Dinky Dao

For those of you who have been blessed to hear her give her history presentation at an Athens Appleseed, or got to listen in at the Ohio IBC in February (where i got choked up afterwards trying to tell everyone about her "special" orange hat), or was on site when she, as a part of several other IIT youths at Athens who together gave an astounding history presentation that outdone a Three Strikes of the Match presentation done by one of RWVA's Mater Instructors (the youths received a standing ovation from the crowd, as I recall), then you know just how true those words the judges spoke really are.

Ishy, in my heart you're already a National Champion. ::) @)

And RNE, I loved your post. I think I'm going to forward it to some grass roots groups I know here in Ohio. That's one message that truly needs to get out. O0

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

WY_Not

Ishy,

I was lucky enough to hear the three of you speak at the IBC in February. My kids will be with me for the month of June and I'd love for them to get a chance to hear your presentation also. We're in the burbs of Cleveland (Strongsville) so if you haven't posted more details of the competition further down in this thread, please do.

Thanks and good luck!
Joseph aka WY_Not

Quote from: Ishy on May 04, 2010, 08:01:20 AM
The national competition is in Cleveland on June 27.  Thanks for the prayers!   :)
Joseph
aka WY_Not (IIT3)

para45acp

Way to go Ishy...didn't get to hear much from you at the Athens AS last month. Sounds like you should be taking the stage next time I'm there  ;) Keep up the good work, and next time you get the chance you should grab Harley's ear and give her some pointers  O0
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10