News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Question about trying to host an Appleseed

Started by stratocaster1422, April 29, 2010, 11:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratocaster1422

Ever since my first Appleseed, I've been formulating how to approach my club about hosting an Appleseed.  I believe I have figured out the logistics to be able to hold 15-20 people for an Appleseed, but there is one stumbling block I'm not sure how to approach.  My club has a rule on Sunday that you can not shoot until 1pm.  I have not attended an Appleseed where such a rule was in place, so I'm not sure how something like that would be handled.  If the club is steadfast in their position of no shots until 1pm on Sunday, what is the best way to tailor an event to work around that restriction? 

Looking to see what other instructors have done in this situation.

Thanks!

ItsanSKS

Strat-

We've come across this bridge before, and in some cases, it works well, other cases, not so well.

Do they also have a steadfast rule on when the range closes? 

Here's my line of thinking:

The shooters could attend Saturday, all day.

Return on Sunday at 10:00am, whereupon the whole course of instruction could be done, sans shooting.
A short break for lunch at 12:30, with shooters retrieving their rifles and being prepared to being shooting at exactly 1:00pm.

This is not ideal, but it can be made to work.  Obviously this works better when there is plenty of sunlight available throughout the latter part of the day, but once we start moving closer to fall/winter, it won't work at all- no sunlight to speak of past 4pm...

I suggest you get in touch with your state coordinator, or your regional coordinator, to discuss the efficacy of having a shoot at that location. 

Perhaps you could even meet with the range to find out if there is a procedure for opening up the shooting time, though I imagine that it is in place to mollify a nearby church. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

CortJestir

Don't worry about the time restriction and let the Shoot Boss handle it.

But since you asked...Here's how I'd handle it - start a little later on Sunday and then try to go as late as possible. Do 3rd strike and DOM in the morning. Review the foundational skill sets with dry fire exercises until lunch.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

crak

Strat: Mansfield doesn't shoot until noon.  Simsbury too.  Heck, I wish every Appleseed started at a civilized hour.

It's no problem.  We talk and dryfire for a few hours.  Then we shoot until dark.

Send me a pm.
Check your drama at the door.

stratocaster1422

Sweet!  Thanks for the replies.  I'm going to inquire about the strictness surrounding the time restriction, but I wanted to make sure there were back up plans in place for losing an entire morning.

Crak, you'll have a pm soon

crak

But think of the children (and the shoot boss!) who would be violently woken up by the sound of rifle fire at 12:45 pm.

Check your drama at the door.

CortJestir

Quote from: crak on April 29, 2010, 11:38:31 AMSimsbury too.

Yeah  %) Tom tells me it's 11am on Sundays now up at Metacon. But hey, we adapt...
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

SavageShootr

Heck. I've been to an Appleseed where rounds didn't go down before 11 with no time restriction.  :wb:
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete