News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Buckeye Firearms Association Article: "Our Appleseed Experience"

Started by Hoover, April 28, 2010, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoover

For those of you that don't know, Buckeye Firearms Association (BFA) is a leading Ohio second amendment advocacy group.  They are involved in legislative, hunting, sports and self defense areas of education and advocacy.  Recently, one of their volunteers (known on our forums as para45acp) attended the April 17-18 Appleseed in Athens, OH.  He chronicled the experiences shared with his daughter during the weekend in an article, "Our Appleseed Experience", that is featured on the BFA web site.

Thanks, para45acp, for spreading the word about the great Appleseed weekend that you enjoyed with your daughter at Athens!

GoldFish

Thank you very much para45.  People like, involved in multiple organizations that spread ideas from one to the other, make BIG impacts on America.  Thanks!  :bow:  Hope to see you on the Trail soon.

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Ishy

Thank you so much for writing the article, para45!  Having you and your daughter was a blessing.  I hope to see you at another shoot sometime!  I can't wait to see Harley get her Rifleman patch.  She's WELL on her way!   Of course she takes after her father's shooting skills.  ;)  Thanks for coming along the "trail!"

Ishy 
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

RedNekEngr

Great article Para45!   It was a pleasure meeting you and your daughter.  I can't wait to see you two and the rest of the family on the trail again.

RNE
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

para45acp

Thanks everyone!

Can't wait to see you all again, and I WILL come down to Athens for another shoot for sure  O0

I enjoyed meeting and learning from each and every one of you. Harley can't wait to come back...and that borrowed 10-22 now belongs to her :--- ..:... Soon to be modified to match Nurse Ratchet's  ;) and I've acquired 3 more slings  :)

Hope some of you will come and join me on my other trail through BFA!

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

RPD

It was a pleasure to have you and Harley on the line.
We do look forward to your soon return.  If you'd like to meet the founder, he'll be in Athens May 22/23 IF we have a full line pre-registered.

My wife and daughter would like to have the opportunity to present info about the parental rights amendment at a BFA meeting.  Life's been hectic and will be throughout May, but maybe June?

Take care,
RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

para45acp

The Meet and Greet this Saturday is the only opportunity they would have, at this point, to address a group. Until we get people motivated enough to hold meet and greets around the state ( like maybe down near Athens  ;) ) we don't have a regular schedule of meetings or opportunities to get in front of a group. Most of our organization is run via email lists and our forums. We only have one leaders meeting a year, and from that...individuals get going on whatever their projects are, or run with new ideas generated in the meeting. If another meet and greet is organized (by someone) they could certainly attend and get a chance to speak, but right now there are no others being planned that I know of. I will PM you an email address for one of our other Minutemen who is active on that legislation already. Maybe it will help generate something...

Might be able to make it down on the 23rd...but my scout troop is holding a spaghetti dinner fundraiser the evening of the 22nd. Current plans were to get the family out on the lake that Sunday for some fishing. My boat told me it wasn't "feelin' the love" so far this Spring  :-\ and the freezer doesn't have NEAR enough fillets in it  :D

We'll see how things pan out till then...
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

desertrat144

para45acp,

Great bit of writing, and description of Appleseed generally.   It sounds like you folks in OH like to make meals/pot-lucks part of AS events- not a bad idea given the short amount of time to present so much material.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

RPD

Quote from: para45acp on May 03, 2010, 10:39:56 AM
The Meet and Greet this Saturday is the only opportunity they would have, at this point, to address a group. Until we get people motivated enough to hold meet and greets around the state ( like maybe down near Athens  ;) ) we don't have a regular schedule of meetings or opportunities to get in front of a group. Most of our organization is run via email lists and our forums. We only have one leaders meeting a year, and from that...individuals get going on whatever their projects are, or run with new ideas generated in the meeting. If another meet and greet is organized (by someone) they could certainly attend and get a chance to speak, but right now there are no others being planned that I know of. I will PM you an email address for one of our other Minutemen who is active on that legislation already. Maybe it will help generate something...

Might be able to make it down on the 23rd...but my scout troop is holding a spaghetti dinner fundraiser the evening of the 22nd. Current plans were to get the family out on the lake that Sunday for some fishing. My boat told me it wasn't "feelin' the love" so far this Spring  :-\ and the freezer doesn't have NEAR enough fillets in it  :D

We'll see how things pan out till then...

Sylvia is off to Miami to see her aunt from Cuba, so the meet and greet wasn't going to work, unfortunately.  We'd appreciate the contact info for the other BFAer who is involved.  The more coordination the better.

Let's see, a day on the lake or shooting . . . that is a tough one, but since you'll be filling the freezer, that'd weigh heavily in favor for me too (which is why very little stands in the way of hunting during deer season).

Hope to see you in July (if not sooner).

Take care, RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

para45acp

Quote from: desertrat144 on May 03, 2010, 12:15:38 PM
para45acp,

Great bit of writing, and description of Appleseed generally.   It sounds like you folks in OH like to make meals/pot-lucks part of AS events- not a bad idea given the short amount of time to present so much material.

Tom

Thanks Desertrat...I do what I can where I can. I have already met someone who read my story the day it hit the web, and had been contemplating an Appleseed, and now says he's going for sure  :) 

Nurse Ratchet and her crew really cook up some good vittles! Definately worth the $$ to not mess with bringing and cooking our own food for the weekend!

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

Coaster

I had read about Appleseed a long time about but at the time there was nothing close, then I forgot about it. After reading the article I took a look at the schedule and now I'm sold since there are shoots in OH.   ..:..
Coaster

para45acp

GREAT Coaster...glad my article got you motivated to check it out! Hope you are able to make it to an event soon. I was just looking at my schedule, and I don't know when I'll be able to make it again  :(

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

Ratchett

Ok Para45 if you are gonna stay soooo busy that you can't come visit us again soon, just give Harley the truck keys and we will take good care of her ;D :D

Understand busy schedules!! Hope you and family will be able to make it down sometime though.

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

para45acp

I may just send my wife down...she already expressed her interest in attending an Appleseed regardless of whether the rest of us could come. Maybe Harley can bring Mom along with her  ;)

I am attempting to make plans for filling the freezer with fillets prior to the upcoming shoot. The 22nd is Order of the Arrow Ordeal weekend at my camp, and I lead a crew of candidates every year, then the troop spaghetti dinner fund raiser that evening. So Saturday is out...but I might be able to come down for Sunday. I'll see what I can do...

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

Ratchett

Para the gate's always open and the light on for you and family!!

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

hawkhavn

Para,

Good luck with your Ordeal weekend.

Hawkhavn
(Who remembers when WWW stood for something other than it does now!)
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

para45acp

Thanks Hawkhavn!

You got that right...scouting in general, but "ordeal" isn't really an accurate word any longer  :(

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

hawkhavn

What??? I'll need to talk to you around a campfire sometime.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

para45acp

Have wood, fire ring, benches, and shooting range in the back yard...when can I expect you  ^-^

Para

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10