News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Opportunity for female-only Appleseed in DFW area: Diva Women Outdoors Worldwide

Started by Jet Set, April 23, 2010, 08:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jet Set

Hello All,

I stumbled across something on Facebook that might be of interest to you all in Texas.  This groups organizes various trips, classes, events, etc. for women related to outdoor sports.  They have various firearms and hunting events as a part of it.  I would imagine a womens-only Appleseed would appeal to them.  The group seems to be based in the DFW area...

http://www.facebook.com/DIVAWOW?v=wall#!/DIVAWOW?v=app_2344061033

http://www.divawow.org/

Good luck!

SavageShootr

In checking the links here, this group has chapters in other states.

Thanks Jet Set
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

doubleLL

Thanks Jet Set for the information. I will look into the group and see if they are interested.
doubleLL
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Aromatic

They had a rep on a radio show in Houston.  It definitely sounds like a low hanging piece of fruit.

doubleLL

GREAT NEWS! The DIVA organization has replied back. The DIVA group is interested in sponsoring an Appleseed!!!!  ^:)^

I have to reply back with the following answers to the DIVA group's questions:

1.)  Is there a charge for the ladies for the 2 day clinic?
  I want to verify with the forum before I reply with  "there is no charge for the weekend, except a range fee if applicable."

2.) Range and date.

Currently I am working on trying to get the Fredericksburg range for the fall. I am also looking for a range locally in DFW area. The DIVA group has locations all over, and has over 6 million members.

If you are interested in putting together an all ladies Appleseed Shoot let me know, I will coordinate with DIVA so they can help to spread the word.
Davilla 3-10

Gramma Goats

"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Fred

Quote from: doubleLL on May 10, 2010, 06:01:08 PM

1.)  Is there a charge for the ladies for the 2 day clinic?
  I want to verify with the forum before I reply with  "there is no charge for the weekend, except a range fee if applicable."

Just in case you need official assurance on this point, you have it exactly right, in bold...

Assuming only women will be attending...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

4bfox

All-volunteer organization....that sounds familiar...  Sounds like a great opportunity, sent our updated brochure to their state contact (Kansas). Hopefully good things will come of this!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Jules

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

doubleLL

All,
The DIVA ladies have been great to work with. Scout and I are in the process of setting up an Appleseed for the DIVA ladies for next year. The coordinators respond quickly and have a great network in place. The DIVA base reaches many females and they have numerous connections to outdoor sporting events and shows. Don't hesitate to send an e-mail to the nearest chapter when you have an shoot, so they can help spread the word.

doubleLL
Davilla 3-10

plinker

Howdy!

Well, ya'll definately got my attention!  I'm one of the Diva members and came to the Appleseed website this evening in order to get some more information about your group.  I also decided to check out the forums so I could get a feel for what Appleseed is all about - and then I found ya'll talking about US, LOL!!!

I'm not the group spokesman, I'm just a member, but I'm a very involved member.  Our group has experienced phenominal growth this year and we have several big events coming up this year.  We are currently entered in the NRA Women On Target Postal competition for rimfire pistol, centerfire pistol, .22 rifle, highpower rifle, trap, skeet, and sporting clays.  We have some members who shoot only one event, and some who shoot them all! 

We host two public Shooting Clinics per year where we invite women to come out and learn to shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun.  We also have archery, spincasting, and flyfishing instruction.  Many of our members are also active hunters and we have had several hunting dog events.  It's been a very busy year!!!!!

Currently, on our schedule this year (in addition to our postals and league shoots) we have plans for one of our Shooting Clinics in September, and a special AR-15 clinic sponsored by DPMS that will happen shortly after that.

We're talking about doing an Appleseed shoot early next year as soon as we can iron things out with a suitable range!

hawkhavn

Plinker,

Welcome and thanks for checking in!
We just finished an all ladies shoot up here in Indiana.
Here's the link if you haven't seen it yet:
http://appleseedusa.org/smf/index.php?topic=13944.0

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

AFTERMATH

Quote from: plinker on June 30, 2010, 11:17:37 PM
Howdy!

Well, ya'll definately got my attention!  I'm one of the Diva members and came to the Appleseed website this evening in order to get some more information about your group.  I also decided to check out the forums so I could get a feel for what Appleseed is all about - and then I found ya'll talking about US, LOL!!!

I'm not the group spokesman, I'm just a member, but I'm a very involved member.  Our group has experienced phenominal growth this year and we have several big events coming up this year.  We are currently entered in the NRA Women On Target Postal competition for rimfire pistol, centerfire pistol, .22 rifle, highpower rifle, trap, skeet, and sporting clays.  We have some members who shoot only one event, and some who shoot them all! 

We host two public Shooting Clinics per year where we invite women to come out and learn to shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun.  We also have archery, spincasting, and flyfishing instruction.  Many of our members are also active hunters and we have had several hunting dog events.  It's been a very busy year!!!!!

Currently, on our schedule this year (in addition to our postals and league shoots) we have plans for one of our Shooting Clinics in September, and a special AR-15 clinic sponsored by DPMS that will happen shortly after that.

We're talking about doing an Appleseed shoot early next year as soon as we can iron things out with a suitable range!

Well, what do ya know!

Thanks for stopping in!  Appleseed is a great program.  The only way you're gonna really know what we're about is to come out to one!
So, while you're working on the logistics of having a shoot; go ahead and sign up for one in the mean time.  You won't regret it! ;)

I hope to see you at a shoot, sometime,

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

plinker

Thanks for the reply!  Great pictures of the kids!  We've got a few on the Diva website as well (www.divawow.org) that you might enjoy.  I'm on there as well with a picture from our Big Brothers/ Big Sisters event.  (Look for the pink BB gun , LOL).

plinker

As you can tell by my earlier post, we've been pretty busy!  I'm participating in two different pistols leagues and I'm pretty much running the postal competition right now.  With the other two big events coming up this Fall, and the end of the postals in December, I think my dancecard is full!  It's going to be tough to make it to one of the Texas shoots but if I could find something close enough for a day trip, I'll try to check ya'll out!

doubleLL

Hi Plinker,
Welcome to the forum- you will find a lot of information here and inspiring stories. If you haven't already; check out the women in Appleseed, stories from Appleseed weekends thread: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4577.0 here you will find some great insight and testimonials about Appleseed from a ladies perspective.  :)   I am looking forward to talking with you.

doubleLL
Davilla 3-10

plinker

We might have already been talking - we just didn't know it.  Some of the emails you've been sending to the Divas have been going through me as well as one of our directors.  I've already compiled a folder of info for the Appleseed shoot and will be aiding the group in trying to host one of your events.

I read everything in that forum link on the women in the Appleseed, and some of the stories are very similar to the stories we hear from some of our participants at our women's clinics!  I think the Divas and Appleseed are going to be a real good fit!

plinker

Just an update - we have found a range to use, set a date for early March (with a back-up "rain date" - a necessity in Texas at that time of year!), and we will be working on the details very soon!  I'm loking forward to promoting this with our members!

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

plinker

spitstickler,

Your wife is welcome to come out to any of our Diva events!  Is she a beginner, or does she have some experience shooting?  Our pistol league should be finishing up this week, and we should be setting up some postal matches shortly afterwards.  If she's more interested in other disciplines like rifle, shotgun, archery, fishing, or hunting, then let me know!  Our next public women's-only clinic will be on September 25th at Elm Fork - the sign up info should be appearing on our website very soon.  In October, we will be hosting a special clinic for AR-15's at Quail Creek.  I don't know if that event will be a women-only event or not, but we will be limiting the number of participants that we can register.  We have a tentative date for the first weekend in March 2011 for our first Appleseed event.

plinker

Just checking in with ya'll and letting you know that things are progressing nicely!

We are meeting tonight to go over details for our "Day with an AR-15" which will be October 23rd at Quail Creek.  We have lots of planning to do on this event, but we haven't forgotten our plans for an Appleseed. 

The date for the Appleseed is March 5th-6th, and we are planning on having that at Quail Creek as well.  The folks at QC are very interested in working with us on what we need (having big membership numbers seems to help this, LOL).  I know ya'll have tried to work something out with them before and it didn't work out, but I think this time they will be much more cooperative.

We are also planning our Women's Clinic for Sept. 25th this year which will be at Elm Fork.  The Clinic is an introduction for women to try a variety of outdoor activities that they may not have a chance to do otherwise.  Instruction will be given in pistol shooting, rifle shooting, archery, shotgun, fly casting and spin casting.  We also do a demo with one of our members who trains hunting dogs and that is a very popular attraction every year.  If you've never seen someone work the dogs, you should come and watch - it's lots of fun!!

I'd like to correct one thing. . .we don't have 6 million members - yet!  We are having a boom in membership but haven't reached those kind of numbers!  We DO have almost 6 million hits on the website for women from all over who want to get information, etc. from us, so I think that's where the confusion on the numbers came from.

I will post more on our Appleseed plans as the date gets closer, and I'm sure doublell will also be posting on our progress.  I look forward to meeting all of you then - or earlier if you choose to come to the clinic or the AR day!

plinker

doubleLL

LOL--I don't know who is more excited about the DIVA- Appleseed!!!  ^:)^

I am waiting on the range to finish the contract and then the event will be available to sign up. Plinker is right, the owner is happy to work with both groups and hopefully will open doors to many more appleseeds for us.  O0 We will have some top instructors at this event and not just from Texas. We will also provide lunch to all the attendees; watch for more details. 

Plinker- I plan on attending the AR clinic at Quail Creek in October!  :~  :~

doubleLL
Davilla 3-10

plinker

doubleLL,

HUGE meeting tonight on the AR day!  I will PM you as soon as sign ups are available online.  When I do, I suggest you don't waste any time in signing up because the slots will fill up very fast.  This will probably be the biggest event we have ever been involved with, and I think it's going to dwarf our Clinic numbers which average around 200 shooters.  I can't even project the numbers on the AR day!  There are going to be lots of sponsors, vendors and even a tactical course available to participants.  Also, some raffles and drawings and contests.  The rumor is that an AR is going to be donated for a grand prize in one of the drawings!  Also, DPMS has suggested that it will discount price AR's for us (don't have a number yet - so far it's just a "carrot").

I'd like to get a bunch of brochures, info or whatever about the Appleseed to have on hand at the AR event.  I'm pretty excited about all the stuff we are getting lined up for our women's programs.  It's obvious that the interest is there!

techres

Quote from: plinker on July 23, 2010, 12:24:32 AM
I'd like to get a bunch of brochures, info or whatever about the Appleseed to have on hand at the AR event.  I'm pretty excited about all the stuff we are getting lined up for our women's programs.  It's obvious that the interest is there!

National can get you the new trifolds (i.e. Fred has them).
I have also attached two flyers that you can get someone local to print if they are appropriate and useful.  I can change the dates at the bottom of the trifold if you get me dates and locations.
There is also a short video (pictures & music for less than 1 minute) that I could get to you if that would also help.

These events are always awesome and special.  If we can help in any other way, just say so!

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.