News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

GARDNERVILLE May 29-31

Started by featherblue, April 23, 2010, 12:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherblue

I just got off the phone with a new to-be Appleseeder  O0  who will be bringing his 18 year old son and son's girl friend to the Gardnerville shoot. All the way from Sacramento, California too. He is very much interested in shooting at extended ranges. They will be shooting all three days and camping here at the site.   

We woke up this morning to about 10-12 inches of new snow. It should be fairly scenic here by the end of May with all the moisture in this desert, mountain setting.

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

DesertDog

I can't wait for this shoot.  A full day of actual distance is going to be awesome
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

arashi

We promoted this shoot for 3 days at the Reno gun show.  I hope to have a healthy turnout.  I still have 50 more flyers to drop off and post around.

Is there anything I can help you with to get the range ready?

Antibubba

QuoteI just got off the phone with a new to-be Appleseeder who will be bringing his 18 year old son and son's girl friend to the Gardnerville shoot. All the way from Sacramento, California too.

And I hope he has a great time.  But please remind them that we have a shoot every month in Sacramento!  Unless he's got "toys" that he can't possess in CA,  :~ there's no reason he can't make it out.

Arashi:  If one in twenty who stopped at the table actually make it out, you'll have a decent crowd.  But I saw a higher than usual number of Nevadans who had already heard of us and were looking for an AS shoot in Northern Nevada, so try to line up additional Hats now.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

Jet Set

I was really surprised at the number of people who came by because of the Backwoods Home magazine article.  I had no idea so many people read it.

Antibubba

Backwoods Home is my only subscription, not counting the one that comes with NRA membership.  And the writer of the main article is Massad Ayoob, one of the best known gun writers around.  That article could not have come out at a better time.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

featherblue

Quote from: arashi on April 23, 2010, 02:08:51 AM
We promoted this shoot for 3 days at the Reno gun show.  I hope to have a healthy turnout.  I still have 50 more flyers to drop off and post around.

Is there anything I can help you with to get the range ready?

I don't know what line you are going to use for the long distance but the Appleseed line as used last time is only good for about 350 yards or so. Someone should come by and determine a long distance line and mark it for 500-600 yards or whatever the distance is to be.

-fb

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

Chris_H

Quote from: featherblue on April 27, 2010, 11:08:06 PM
I don't know what line you are going to use for the long distance but the Appleseed line as used last time is only good for about 350 yards or so. Someone should come by and determine a long distance line and mark it for 500-600 yards or whatever the distance is to be.

-fb

Good point fb, thanks.

We'll definitely want to get that figured out. Keeping the line in the same place would be the easiest way to go, since having folks move around can not only be time consuming, but also a potentially unnecessary hassle.

Maybe we can connect this weekend & figure out how we want to get everything laid out.

Chris

featherblue

Chris,

I just sent you a PM. We will be away for a week starting Friday the 30th (tomorrow). You are invited to go out to the range at anytime and do whatever is needed.

-fb

desertrat144

With camping available there, would it be safe to guess that the site is whellchair friendly, and prota-potties will w/c accessible?  I'll try to make it down, and am not sure how many other adaptive shooters may show.  There was a definate interest at the BRS about Adaptive Appleeed.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Chris_H

Well, now, camping is possible, but it's not all KOA-fancy or anything!!  :P

There is a porta-potty, but I'll need to check things out to make sure how w/c accessible everything really is.

Here's the AAR for the Gardnerville shoot last August with pics so the area can be looked at...

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9230.0

Here are also a couple of web albums of the shoot:

http://picasaweb.google.com/NewMoe5700/Appleseed0809?feat=directlink#

http://picasaweb.google.com/Western.Nevada.Pistol.League/AppleseedGardnervilleNevadaAugust2009#

Chris

desertrat144

Chris,

Thanks for the info I'll get it on the N.NV PVA site and posted in some other venues.  I'm a 'primitive' type camper, recently reformed- err, updated to 'modern' due to physical deterioration.  Does anyone have a pdf of the flyer that I can make copies of, or send by email?

Thanks for looking into all this.

Tom

arashi- I haven't forgotten the cartridge patterns we talked about at the GSR Show- I've got to find the file.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

gglovesguns

It looks like my range buddy is going to bail on me. He's feeling too tight on cash to afford to go right now. I'll try to talk him into going anyway-- haha. I'm a bad influence like that. But just in case, is there anyone out there driving from Reno and interested in carpooling? Let me know!

featherblue

desertrat144,

I can't promise we can get it done but we will try to get a porta that fits your needs.  :) Remember, just getting a bucket delivered out here is a chore with the unreliable types around. Camping will be fun. Be sure NOT to feed the bears however!  ::) Just kidding, they stay away from humans.

-fb

desertrat144

fb,

Thanks for the thoughts re: privvy;D  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend- med change & road trip to a doc for Mrs. desertrat.  I'll be off on my game until mid June.   :wb:

Is there room for some Reno VA shooters?  They talk interested, but...  They are folks that could fire up AS in N.NV.

Tom

featherblue

Quote from: desertrat144 on May 18, 2010, 11:34:35 PM
fb,

Thanks for the thoughts re: privvy;D  Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend- med change & road trip to a doc for Mrs. desertrat.  I'll be off on my game until mid June.   :wb:

Is there room for some Reno VA shooters?  They talk interested, but...  They are folks that could fire up AS in N.NV.

Tom

desertrat144,

Sorry to read you cannot make it to the shoot. I will let one of the instructors or Shoot Boss reply as to more shooters on the line. Fine with me but I am just a bystander.  ++)

-fb

Chris_H

Quote from: desertrat144 on May 18, 2010, 11:34:35 PM

Tom

Hi Tom,

Room's not a problem.

The only daunting issue at the moment is the student-to-instructor ratio. There's a grand total of 4 instructors for this event. Assuming all 31 pre-registered shooters show up and we ONLY get the 5 or 6 planned walk-ons, we'll be looking at a student-to-instructor ratio of at least 9-to-1. Personally, I'd feel better with a 7-1 ratio at most, but we'll manage.

Now if I can figure out how to get people to at least look at the "Help Needed" post I put up on the I.S. board.... Heh!

In any case, if we find more shooters in the region that would be able to become good instructors, that would probably help in the long run, for sure!

Chris

desertrat144

Chris,

Thanks for accommodating the potential folks.  Two of them helped with the VA's Winter Sports Clinic in Snowmass, CO.   They have range experience, and are shooters, the other two are active formal shooters.  AS doctrine may be a bit different from what they're used to, but I think there should be no safety issues with them; the first part is going to be getting them to turn out.  They have expressed interest in the AS program, and see its potential for incorporation into a number of areas, all I've got to do is make compelling arguments to get them to commit.

Tom

featherblue

A nice lady named Cindy called. Four more walk-ons for Saturday. Two adults, two kids. A .270, a couple .22's and an AR10. Driving down from Reno. This will be an interesting shoot folks.

I may need to stay home to save space.  ;D

-fb 

desertrat144

Pineappleshot

:D GREAT! This is going be a fun and amazing shoot this weekend i can't wait. O0

featherblue

I just looked at Accuweather and it could get into the twenties here at night!! Campers better bring blankets and plenty of hot coffee! This is highly unusual weather for us. Way colder than typical for this time of year. Global cooling, I would presume is what Algore would preach, and caused by humanoids.  **)

Also, there are no mosquitoes here. 

-fb

Pineappleshot

Since Trebleshooter, Rangerat, Bobbi, Zach, And I are going to be camping we were wondering is it okay if we had our dog out there with us?

featherblue

We love dogs. Got a couple ourselves. Bring your dog.

-fb

Pineappleshot

Awesome! ;D Thank you for a speedy answer. That now allows Bobbi to come up for the shoot instead of staying home watching the dog, or having to pay for someone else to watch it. Excited for this shoot!

Brandon

featherblue

The weather is changing for the better!!! Looks to be quite nice beginning on Saturday according to Accuweather.  We are tired of this global-cooling algore is causing.  **)  Should even be able to have a campfire for the . . . campers.

-fb

TrebleShooter

YAY!   ;D
Happy campers now...

Jules

Quote from: Chris_H on May 05, 2010, 09:25:24 PM
Well, now, camping is possible, but it's not all KOA-fancy or anything!!  :P

There is a porta-potty, but I'll need to check things out to make sure how w/c accessible everything really is.

Here's the AAR for the Gardnerville shoot last August with pics so the area can be looked at...

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9230.0

Here are also a couple of web albums of the shoot:

http://picasaweb.google.com/NewMoe5700/Appleseed0809?feat=directlink#

http://picasaweb.google.com/Western.Nevada.Pistol.League/AppleseedGardnervilleNevadaAugust2009#

Chris

I am likin' the Annual Kid's Auction and Best Barbeque picture, lol

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

desertrat144

How did the shoot go?  The VA Dept.  Rep. I was hoping could make it down there got blind sided- guests & family came out the wood work so he couldn't get down there.

Tom

featherblue

Tom,

The shoot went really, really well indeed. There are some pictures posted by "Pineappleshot" on the AAR thread. I believe there were 46 shooters on the line Saturday morning as compared to 21 last year.

I did save a place on the line for you, just in case. Maybe next time?

-fb