News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Osage Beach April 17-18

Started by Kevyn, April 22, 2010, 12:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevyn

Need to express my sincere appreciation for all the hospitality and friendship. Thank You all for hosting this event.

This was my second Appleseed event and the second at this location. I can barely wait to get back for another shoot!

Although I didn't shoot well enough for a Rifleman's patch, my first concern was getting my great friend into a 'groove' with shooting. After the first volley, it was clear that our equipment was going to be a problem... my sights were virtually useless--- the Tech-Sight TSR100 rear sight is not meant to work with/will not work with the standard Ruger 10/22 front post. The stock Ruger 10/22 sights would not give me adequate/consistent elevation/windage adjustments to get on target. Lesson learned.

My great friend and long time .mil brother 'thought' he was going to shoot the course without a sling and with a bone stock rifle... WRONG!

Thankfully, Jason, our host range provider and instructor, stepped up and let my old buddy use his personal rifle that WAS equipped and ready for the task ahead.

With equipment issues resolved, the next task was 'refining' my buddies shooting habits... suffice to say that there were many old habits in the way of progress. After nearly a full day of virtually one-on-one instruction, Jason and KR had my great friend on target and smiling. He wasn't going to qualify as a Rifleman but there were more holes on target and on paper than last year and way more holes than when we started that morning.

Thank you Jason & KR. Thank you very much for that time and effort. You made my good friend very happy and for that I am eternally grateful.

There is much talk of a new stock, sights and sling for his rifle. There is an obvious new respect for training and equipment... AND, there is a massive amount of enthusiasm for the Osage Beach crew and location. Yes, there are Appleseed events closer to his home, but his heart and mind are with KR & Jason. He's already looking for Appleseed events to attend this summer!!!

There is no doubt we will be returning to Osage Beach. We will be Riflemen.

Longshot

Kevyn,

Thanks for the high praise, but Jason and I are just doing what every other Appleseed Instructor will do: his utmost to assure you learn both Markmanship and Heritage. Our future depends on it!

We look forward to handing Rifleman patches to both of you. In the meantime, if there is anything we can help you out with, let us know.

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

moriverdog

This was my first Appleseed. I had a great time and have already been working on getting more people signed up for future events. Thanks to all those who worked to put this event together and I hope to see you soon!

Jared

Dug'in

Nate, if you read this please personal message me your reading list. I'm sorry I didn't get it Sat. It was a pleasure meeting you hope to see you again.
Of course its always a pleasure meeting appleseeders! and I hope to see you all again.
:--- :--- :---