News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ridgecrest, CA Apr 17-18

Started by DesertDog, April 20, 2010, 06:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

Another great Appleseed weekend!!  Cal 7.62 and Grandson of Liberty arrived at my house early Friday afternoon.  We headed out to set up the range and do some shooting.  Ridgcrest is notorious for it's wind, It's blowing 30 with 50 MPH gusts right now, but for the 5th AS in a row here the wind was kind to us  ^:)^

Sat morning had 15 shooters arrive ready to go, the most we've had in Ridgecrest :).  We had 2 of my best friends with their wives and 11 yr old daughter.  Ed who drove up from San Diego, 2 guys who were at last years Apr shoot, A father and young son, Hugh form Lancaster and 4 teenage brothers and sisters.

The opening Redcoat produced the following:

400  0
300  1
200  0
100  3
Head   1

After going through the points of instruction, groups started tightening up.  After the 1:00 Volley For Liberty we got in 3 AQT's with no Rifleman.

Final Redcoat with 12 shooters went as follows:

400  1
300  0
200  2
100  7
Head  1

The range owner, Ron Frey, is a HUGE supporter of the program, not to mention being a master gunsmith for over 40 yrs.  He went so far as to bring out an M1 Garand, M1A, Mini-14 and a .308 Percision Rifle with ammo for each that we could shoot.  He simply asked me to put them back in his safe when we were done O0.  So after the Appleseed ended we let the shooters shoot the rifles that they wanted to.  I let him pick out a flag and gave it to him.

Sunday morning saw 10 stiff, sore shooters get off to a little bit of a slow start, but after a sheet of squares they were back in the groove.  We had Hugh shoot a 221 and is going to consider taking the Orange Hat of Destiny.

The 7 shooters who made it to the end headed home tired, but satisfied that their knowlwdge of rifle marksmanship and their heritage increased.

I have lost my camera so didn't get any pictures.  Ron Frey and his wife took some during their visits and are going to get them to me.  I'll post them then.

Thanks to Cal and G.O.L. for making the trip to make the weekend go off without a hitch.  Look forward to next weekend  Cal. O0
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

rock-chucker

Hey guys.  Just thought I'd check in and say hi, and "well done" in having the biggest Ridgecrest shoot to date.  You're doing a great job building your Apple tree up there!  Congrats also on your new rifleman!  Hope he decides to pick up an Appleseed bucket and put it to good use!

I was thinking about last year's ridgecrest appleseed, too; and you making red hat on April 19th, DD.  Definitely a high point in appleseed and american history!  THESE patriots are on the move!

Steve