News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fenton, Michigan April 17-18, 2010 AAR

Started by BeeFree, April 19, 2010, 05:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeFree

WOW!

It was a pleasure and a privilege to spend the weekend with 25 shooters, 4 orange hats (thank you Miki, intheburbs, Persistance, and Ace), and our ever-enthusiastic photo-shooting range rep (thank you for making this happen, softseller!).

We had a cold, cloudy, blustery Saturday, followed by a beautiful sunny, slowly warming to 63F Sunday in which we saw three previous Riflemen repeat their scores and five new Riflemen BEFORE LUNCH added to the roles, with one more afterward, along with several more who reached temporary plateaus between 180 and 205.

Scores on the Hits Count Redcoat were as follows...
Sat AM      best  ;D of SAT PM, SUN AM, SUNPM
100 - 12     18
200 - 6       15
300 - 5       9
400 - 2       7
Head - 7     8

We completed 2 AQTs on Sat and 6 on Sunday, for a total of 8   ~~:) along with The Three Strikes (with much welcome commentary and questions showing the shooters were listening QUITE well!), did a flag walk that ended with a drawing for one of the flags (I knew you'd choose that one, too!).  We held the drawings for PRR, the two free AS, and the challenge coin.  And we heard Miki's rendition  O0 of Nancy Hart Morgan (which if you ever get a chance, you MUST hear!), along with Hezekiah Wyman (my favorite Dangerous Old Man, because I covet his horse), and Samuel Whittemore (the card version!).  We had a dozen shooters take home CMP forms (hooray!),  - and would the last two people who wanted one after I packed them, please PM me with an address for me to send them to - I found them in the bottom box unloading the van this morning!), and 2 shooters who spoke to me about range possibilities near them - if anyone else would like a range application packet, please PM me and I'll send it your way - 'cause we need a minimum of 12 shoots in Michigan next year!    I'm looking forward to hearing from you all what you you thought about your Appleseed experience...

BeeFree   :---
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

ITB

Great shoot, everyone!

We had a great bunch of students at this Appleseed.  Everyone was eager to learn, listen to the history, and I think we all had great chemistry, illustrated with some well-timed zingers. 

Thanks to BeeFree for being a great Shoot Boss, and to Persistance, Miki and Ace for contributing to a great event!

Personally, the 4 PM volley meant a lot to me, and I felt a distinct lump in my throat as those names were read off to a serenade of rifle fire.  Kinda brings home the sacrifices made by those who lost their lives that day.

Thanks to all the students who attended - it was an honor and pleasure working with all of you.  It's always great to see some freshly-minted Riflemen.  And to those who didn't quite get there:  remember, Riflemen never give up, and with some practice and persistance, you'll be getting one of those patches, too.  Don't forget the seventh step to taking the shot!

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Miki

What a great weekend! When my alarm went off at 4:30 AM Saturday, I thought about grumbling as I dragged my butt out of bed. Then I thought of Isaac Davis, along with so many others, and realized I had NO business grumbling. I had business getting a move on to hopefully awaken (wow, that could be considered a really bad pun) those I would soon meet to the heritage and tradition of the American Rifleman.

There were quite a few new shooters and some I had met previously. It was an honor to work with all of you. Your persistence and dedication is amazing. To those who made Rifleman, YAY! To those who haven't YET, did I mention a Rifleman is persistent? I'm sure I did.

To the rest of the 'team' it was great working with you all. Looking forward to more of that in the future. Softseller, you're the BEST! Thanks for all your hard work.

knight templar

Hi,
It was not just a good shoot it was a GREAT shoot. ^:)^ I would like to thank all the Instructors for putting up with my whining :bow:, I had a great time. This is the best bang for the buck(pun intended) in rifle training bar none. I'm an old Rev War reenactor  and to hear the three strikes really brings back memories. You will see me again maybe with my flintlock musket and I will ask at my home club to see it they are interested in hosting a shoot. I will let the Instructors try to put a face to my screen name. ^-^ Thanks again it was a great time. O0

IRONSIDES

I have to agree it was a great shoot. My wife and I are repeat offenders from last year. My wife says I'm miserable because I couldn't hardly sleep the night before. Almost like the night before Christmas when you're a kid. We slept in till 0530 and I drove the 107 miles to the shoot with a smile on my face, I had to use the cruise to keep from speeding, LOL.

I was lucky enough to win a copy of "Paul Revere's ride" in the drawing and I'm already reading it. Hearing the stories of the 3 strikes is one of my favourite parts of the weekend, Though I won't forget intheburbs catlike reflexes and "ninja" moves, catching flying ground mats due to the wind, lol.

I really appreciate all of the instructor's putting in their time and efforts into these shoots to make them so successful! I already had my patch from last year, but I qualified again, so I must have learned something here at Appleseed. The wife didn't quite make it, her best target was 197. Then she aced the last red coat target we shot, so I know she can qualify. I'm sure she'll get it next time.

It shouldn't be too hard to put a face on my wife and I... We're the ones that always pack a big lunch, lol

Thanks again for all of your efforts and we'll see you out there again.

Miki

Quote from: knight templar on April 19, 2010, 10:23:04 PM
Hi,
It was not just a good shoot it was a GREAT shoot. ^:)^ I would like to thank all the Instructors for putting up with my whining :bow:, I had a great time. This is the best bang for the buck(pun intended) in rifle training bar none. I'm an old Rev War reenactor  and to hear the three strikes really brings back memories. You will see me again maybe with my flintlock musket and I will ask at my home club to see it they are interested in hosting a shoot. I will let the Instructors try to put a face to my screen name. ^-^ Thanks again it was a great time. O0

I'd guess Pete. But, only because that puts the odds in my favor as we had a number of Petes.  ;)

IRONSIDES

Quote from: Miki on April 19, 2010, 11:14:37 PM
Quote from: knight templar on April 19, 2010, 10:23:04 PM
Hi,

I'd guess Pete. But, only because that puts the odds in my favor as we had a number of Petes.  ;)

There were a few mike's also. I know, I'm one of them.

knight templar

Hello again,
Miki nope try again. I'll make it easy for you, I earned my patch, I drag wood and I have a death grip I also don't follow through very well. Gee just think how well I would shoot if I did not do all those bad things(something for me to ponder). Again it was a great shoot and I need to work on finding a place closer to home to sponsor one. Thanks one and all for your time. :bow:

Miki

Quote from: knight templar on April 20, 2010, 03:57:03 PM
Hello again,
Miki nope try again. I'll make it easy for you, I earned my patch, I drag wood and I have a death grip I also don't follow through very well. Gee just think how well I would shoot if I did not do all those bad things(something for me to ponder). Again it was a great shoot and I need to work on finding a place closer to home to sponsor one. Thanks one and all for your time. :bow:

Final answer: Lynn (sp?)???

Miki

Quote from: knight templar on April 20, 2010, 10:24:20 PM
And the winner is MIKI ^:)^

Whoo-Hooo! It was the original reference to whining that threw me off, so, I went with the best odds...I didn't hear any whining from you or anyone else.

BeeFree

FYI,  We just got approval from the Fenton Sportsmans Club to hold the Oct 2-3, 2010 Appleseed at their range  ^:)^ (instead of Williamston)... so if you all want to do it again at the same place, when you see the change reflected in the registration calendar, get signed up!

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

ITB

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

Mogget

Hey InTheBurbs,

Neither of those two links is working for me...

Thanks in advance for the pictures and video,

Mogs

Mogget

ITB

Sorry - fatfingered the html code.  Links fixed in my original post above.

ETA - just wanted to point out something very cool.  We had a family with three generations of shooters on the line.  Father, two sons and grandson.  Father is 72?, grandson is 14, IIRC.

Mogget

Excellent!  Do you, by chance, know how to contact these folks?  We might need their permission to use the picture.

Mogs