News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Carrolton, KY April 17-18, 2010 or This is why we use Screen Names

Started by TheEditor, April 17, 2010, 09:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Compared to IL, this is God's Country. 

20 shooters, only one of which said they had been to an Appleseed previously. 

Vast improvement over the day. 

Lots of fun, beautiful weather, beautiful place to shoot! 

Why do we use screen names? 

Shoot Boss:  John
IIT 1:  John
IIT: John
Landowner:  John
Any students want to chime in?  (there may have been a John there) 

One AQT shot; no riflemen, but one 208 (with a bolt gun!); several more in range for tomorrow. 

THREE Rossi single shot rifle-shotgun combos (using the .22 single shot barrels). 

Volley for Liberty went off beautifully.  Pictures to follow.

TE
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

John Boch

Gotta do dinner before pix.

Kinda wish we had a good seat for Thunder over Louisville - Some of our attendees today said that if we went, we might be as early as two in the morning getting out of L-ville because of the traffic after the fireworks.

Great day today.  Learned a few lessons and shared plenty with those present.

It was The Editor's first as SB, but his benediction tonight was the best I've heard of a half-dozen AS I've been to.

I have no doubt our students will be referring their friends and families.

Oh, yes.  It's God's country here.

John

John Boch

First up, the ultimate test of whether I really like a shoot is, "Would I go there again next year to teach?"

Enthusiastic yes.

Like the rustic, "historic" neighborhood nearby on the way down here.  Nice people.  Pretty land.  And they recognize my permit.  What's not to like?

Here's some pix:

See, I told you it was beautiful!

John Boch

John Boch

RifleWoman

Yeah, there was a John there.  I see it in the pic by the barn.  ;D
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Mudcat

I see John in the new orange hat and they are at Johns house too. ;)  Looks like you guys are having a great shoot.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

John Boch

Quote from: Mudcat on April 18, 2010, 07:19:24 AM
I see John in the new orange hat and they are at Johns house too. ;)  Looks like you guys are having a great shoot.

Everyone was named 'John' regardless of the hat they wore.

It made it easy to remember everyone's name.

John

John Boch

JoeZ

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the bathroom was also named John. :D :D :D :D :D

Good to see you at SB. One of the guys who shot rifleman score in 06 at the Barton club in West Bend WI (you remember the tornado Appleseed) showed up to the Hubertus WI shoot sat and helped out and wanted the orange hat. It's four years and how many strikes of a match for him. I'm just remembering the old days of Appleseed.

See you on the trail
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

dad4boys

What a great weekend for an Appleseed. Hope all the 98 others were just as Beautiful!

Thanks to Templar and TheEditor for bearking in a new IIT
You guys were really good to work with and as I'd expected, men who know what they are about.

TheEditor/John, your account of that fateful day was very captivating throughout the entire weekend and I can only hope to gain some of your SB skills some day.
Templar /John, You ran the line like a pro and taught everyone valuable lessons. I picked up several pointers and even learned how to insert an AR mag properly!

Thanks again and hope to see you guys on the AS trail again soon.

BTW
I spell my name

Jon

featherblue

That is a BEAUTIFUL place! Looks like you get a little more rain that we do here in Nevada.  ;D

Nice turn out too!

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

Garand69

Nice looking country TE and Templar. Looks like you did a fine job of spreading Illinois Hospitality down to the Blue Grass State O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

John Boch

Sunday was just as beautiful as Saturday.  A little less busy with about half as many shooters as Saturday, so even the instructors had a chance, one at a time, to get some trigger time in now and then.

We did a fun little NPOA drill Sunday afternoon to break things up a little.  10 rounds on the 4 400-meter equivalents in one minute.  In teams, with an instructor assigned to each.  One group at a time, to increase the pucker factor over and above the Time Monkey's effect on people.  If memory serves, I think most there achieved their highest scores for the day on the AQT that followed.  Those larger targets look HUGE when you're shooting truly rapid fire on the smallest ones!

As the day wore on past there, fatigue and sore backs and muscles began to take over and sadly we didn't have any students shoot rifleman, but several came close and with persistence, and another event or two, I have no doubt several will.  It took me three long YEARS of drinking from the firehouse to rate mine!  Today, it comes as naturally as walking.  The lesson there is "don't give up!"

A great time in a great place.

All three of the Johns teaching agreed that we'd come back to Carrolton if the opportunity arose.  

Highly recommend it to both instructors and students.

John / Dad4Boys did a fine job in his first orange hat experience.  He was about as green as they come but picked things up quickly and it would have been onerous work without him.  He did well in everything from calling the line to coaching individually.  He'll make a good red hat soon.  There was no wading into the pool for him.  He got thrown into the deep end and is learning how to swim quickly.

John

colycat

The flags on the army truck.  Are they the ones Ahhshoot forgot to take last November? :wall:
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

John Boch

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

T191032

Super!  Great pics.

I see one of the shooters, a young man (Conner?), there on the line using a single-shot.  Do ya'll know how he did overall and what was his reaction to the event?