News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur,NC AS AAR 3/27-28 2010

Started by 7.62BBQ, April 16, 2010, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7.62BBQ

We had 29 shooters on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. Weather was perfect on Sat., with light showers on Sun. The day started with the safety briefing then onto the Red Coat "Hits Count" targets. The rest of the morning saw proper sling use, prone position, 6 steps to firing the shot, natural point of aim, inches-minutes-clicks, and ball and dummy drills. The Kid gave the "1st strike and 2nd strike" of the 4/19/1775 story before and after lunch. We then instructed on the standing, sitting positions and transitions. After a quick water break we shot 2 AQT's then the last Red Coat target. The Kid finished the "3rd strike" and we closed down for the day. We had 4 new Rifleman patches to hand out on Saturday. I must tell you I've Instructed at many Appleseed's and I've seen some impressive shooting at these events. But on this Saturday I saw 3 Rifleman lie side by side, shoot the Red Coats on the last string of fire for the day, and clean every silhouette. All shot very tight, centered groups and perfect headshots. Great shooting indeed! Iron Pony brought the targets to my attention and I centered up all of the shooters. It was my pleasure to show everyone what "firing by the #'s" and NPOA looks like(all Instructors had ear-to-ear grins). These gentleman had never been to an Appleseed, and I bet they come back and bring some of their buddies.

Sunday saw 12 shooters return for some more Heritage and Marksmanship from the Appleseed firehose. Only one shooter went up to the 500 yard range, so the other 11 stayed down on the 25 yard range(gunnin' for the PATCH). Len1459 had a Ruger 10/22 break down/ classroom. One of our shooters was a mother of twin teenage girls and a 20 year old son who is in college. She bought 4 ruger's, ammo, etc. and drove her family with camper in tow down to Ramseur. It is my understanding that none of them had ever shot a rifle before this weekend. By the end of shooting on Sunday both twins were shooting in the 170's and up, mom figured out it was better to shoot left handed(because she was left eye dominate)instead of trying to shoot right handed. That's persistence. The son shot Rifleman late Sunday afternoon. All in all we had 3 new Rifleman by the end of Sunday. 7 new Rifleman for the whole weekend.

I'd like to thank Wildman, hawkeye, and Law Man for their help on the range. I'd like to thank all of the Instructors: len1459, The Kid, P Shooter, Karl2500, FouriZe, iron pony, Lawrence, and kd_deadeye. Great job everyone, see you on the Trail...