News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed & CMP purchases

Started by Shooterer, April 14, 2010, 10:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooterer

Does anyone know if the "Seed's" ability to by a rifle at the CMP extends to to the .22lr items?

I would like to purchase on of these http://www.thecmp.org/22targetcommercial.htm to help train new shooters on a bolt gun. Reading through the application http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/Savage.pdf it is not clear.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Shooterer
Stand up for what's right.... Even if you stand alone.

bedford

I think for these rifles you have to have your FFL participate.

fepowered

These are not for sale to  individuals ....

QuotePurchasing organizations must be CMP affiliates with a junior rifle marksmanship activity or be youth camps employing instructors who are trained and certified through a CMP Instructor Training Course (ITC). Clubs, teams or camps may order as many rifles as they wish as long as they can demonstrate that the rifles will be used for their junior marksmanship program and are not for resale or other re-transfer to individuals.
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Shooterer

Quote from: fepowered on April 14, 2010, 11:24:51 AM
Purchasing organizations must be CMP affiliates with a junior rifle marksmanship activity or be youth camps employing instructors who are trained and certified through a CMP Instructor Training Course (ITC). Clubs, teams or camps may order as many rifles as they wish as long as they can demonstrate that the rifles will be used for their junior marksmanship program and are not for resale or other re-transfer to individuals.
[/quote]

See, if you read between the lines (line item veto) as a Appleseeder, I should be able to buy this rifle to train juniors, as long as I am not buying it to resell it.

Anyone with me on this or am I just wrong?

Chrome

I don't know how much those sights run, but the Savages are only $110 at Wal-Mart.  Dick's used to carry them for $99, but I haven't seen them in awhile.

Later,
Chrome...

ETA: Yeah, those sights are available from Williams for $85.  $85 + $110 + tax would make it a wash to just buy them else where.
Montani Semper Liberi

Fred

Quote from: Shooterer on April 14, 2010, 12:41:58 PM
Quote from: fepowered on April 14, 2010, 11:24:51 AM
Purchasing organizations must be CMP affiliates with a junior rifle marksmanship activity or be youth camps employing instructors who are trained and certified through a CMP Instructor Training Course (ITC). Clubs, teams or camps may order as many rifles as they wish as long as they can demonstrate that the rifles will be used for their junior marksmanship program and are not for resale or other re-transfer to individuals.

See, if you read between the lines (line item veto) as a Appleseeder, I should be able to buy this rifle to train juniors, as long as I am not buying it to resell it.

Anyone with me on this or am I just wrong?
[/quote]

Shooterer, I think the problem is you are not a club or organization. Maybe that's good - otherwise, your wife or future wife would be unhappy... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Shooterer

Quote from: Fred on April 14, 2010, 01:05:18 PM
   Shooterer, I think the problem is you

Well, that's a thread killer if I've ever seen one. (just kidding)

If that idea does not work, can anyone recommend an accurate bolt action rifle with "peep" (target) sights in the $250 range? I find that new shooters really gravitate to my 10 meter target rifle because of the sights (especially the globe front)

I find that if I can get them to shoot their first few shots well, they get hooked faster and will try harder thing later.

Fred

Great, but no point in spoiling them, as this is a 'rack-grade rifle' and standard ammo kind of a program...

Fred "the thread killer" :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

SamD

17 second unkill  ;)
You do know that you can put a set of tech sight on just any old Marlin boltgun?

You can, the set for the Model 60 screws right on and has enough adjustment to do the job.

OK thread dead again

Chrome

Quote from: Shooterer on April 14, 2010, 03:20:03 PM
Quote from: Fred on April 14, 2010, 01:05:18 PM
    Shooterer, I think the problem is you

Well, that's a thread killer if I've ever seen one. (just kidding)

If that idea does not work, can anyone recommend an accurate bolt action rifle with "peep" (target) sights in the $250 range? I find that new shooters really gravitate to my 10 meter target rifle because of the sights (especially the globe front)

I find that if I can get them to shoot their first few shots well, the get hooked faster and will try harder thing later.

The CPR continues....

Look up at my post.  You can buy these exact rifles and outfit them with the same sights for around $200.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi