News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NH NEEDS NON-INSTRUCTOR VOLUNTEERS!

Started by Firewall99, January 29, 2010, 10:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

There are three critical positions we need to fill, and it would be best if these volunteers were not instructors, because these jobs need to be done during shoots when instructors are needed on the line.

In order of priority we need the following people:

We need at least one person, although two would be easier on both, to run the Appleseed table at NH gun shows, especially in Concord on April 17-18 this year when all the instructors are off at shoots.   These gun shows are outstanding opportunities to advertise Appleseed to the non-internet community.  Unfortunately often they occur on weekends when we have shoots.  After April 17-18, these positions could be filled by instructors.

We need TWO more gunsmiths (Smithy3 and Smithy4) for Smithy to train.  Smithy is currently training Smithy2.  This is a "gunsmith-lite" position.  Mostly it involves installing slings, Tech Sights, scopes, and cheek rises.  Occasionally someone wants their bolt release filed, which is a simple five-minute operation.  Finally, on the offhand chance that a SB orders a malfunctioning rifle off the line, Smithy may be called upon to repair it.  Smithys are asked to stock common repair parts only for Ruger 10/22's.  Smithys may not perform non-Appleseed jobs at shoots, but often take in such jobs "over the transom."

We need people to learn to become Shoot Administrators.  This is an important job.  Shoot Bosses have enough to do, and we'd like to get them some help in this area.  Among the things that Shoot Administrators do is collate handouts, get waivers signed, register shooters, take money, liaison with lunch providers, prepare certifications, and sell patches, etc.  One of the more important tasks is to catch "community issues" coming in from the street during a shoot and to pass them off to the Shoot Boss.  After a shoot the job is to tally the registration sheet and account for all monies received.  We now have special RWVA hats for this position.

These non-instructor positions are a great way to get one's spouse or significant other involved in Appleseed, BTW.

"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

The Old Guide

Wife was a "non instructor volunteer shoot administrator" this past weekend in Maine. She's some proud of her pink RWVA hat. She gets around in a motorized wheel chair and when we're away from home she brings a spare. A disabled WWII shooter used her spare chair. Turns out that shooter and I belong to the same American legion post; China Post 1, Shanghai, China. Hey, I said I was old. It's my middle name.

She greatly enjoyed the story because her ancestor, James Thurber answered the "first alarum" on April 19, 1775. The Thurbers later moved to Enfield and Lyme, NH.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

SkyHawk

FIrewall99 - I like your idea of having Smithys trained and will run that idea past the powers that be in Illinois.  Unfortunately being an IIT it would seem I wouldn't qualify under your scheme.  However I will leave that part out of the proposal for Illinois.  It is craft that should be learned by many to keep up all the serious shooters this program is generating.  But I understand you can't aways pull an instructor off the line during an AS either, thus the need for non-instructors as well.
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson