News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Arizona Virtual Muster Night 3.0 Check-in

Started by AZRedhawk44, April 13, 2010, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

OK, Arizona.

Sound off here, and tell me what you're doing on the weekend of April 17-18, 2010.

Me?  I'm shoot-bossing up at Payson for the weekend.

My homework?  Get a few events between now and the rest of the year (now and September in particular) so that IIT's have a chance in this state to progress to full instructors, without having to drive to CA or NM or NV.

I just got 4 more in Kingman, as mentioned in another thread in this forum, two of which are between now and September.

NEWGUY556

NEWGUY here. I will be getting broke in as an IIT on April 17th, 18th.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZRedhawk44

I thought of something that someone could do, if so inclined...

I'm currently cutting up cardboard backers for our firing line for Payson.

Measurements are 18" wide by 30" tall.  The backers consist of two pieces of cardboard that fit those dimensions, glued together.  When you cut them out, the ridges should go vertically on one of them, and horizontally on the other, so that the wind has the least possible effect on them and they are as strong as possible without needing wooden frames for reinforcement.

If anyone has large-format cardboard just lying around that they don't need, then shout out that you can cut it up and glue some backers together as described above.

I've got about 10 made so far for this upcoming weekend and I'll make another 15-20 tonite probably.  I ran out of glue yesterday and had to hit the store, then ran out of steam.  :-)

One piece with the ridges like this:
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
And the other with the ridges like this:
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||

glued together.

Any non-instructors who check in and are showing up at Payson, I'd appreciate it if you'd bring any you can make.  I'll come equipped with supplies, but they'll be handy for the future or if we need to squeeze more bodies on the line than I anticipate.

NEWGUY556

Are we attaching the cardboard to rebar or something?
What king of glue are you using? I have some cardboard, you can count me in for some.

BTW- If you can come by where I work sometime when I am there I can get you cardboard. It is just a PITA for me to get it home without cutting it first. Sheets are about 3' x 8'.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZbinary

Tucson checking in here...

I'll be at the shoot in Sierra Vista as an IIT
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AZOpie

Checking in!

I will be hitting the trail in Payson this weekend.
I hear the SB for the shoot is a real task master...    ~~:)

Gonna be rewarding!

AZOpie

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on April 13, 2010, 08:33:08 PM
I thought of something that someone could do, if so inclined...

I'm currently cutting up cardboard backers for our firing line for Payson.

I'll see if I can find any cardboard that size where they are building up behind us and let you know what I come up with.

AZOpie

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on April 13, 2010, 08:44:26 PM
What king of glue are you using? I have some cardboard, you can count me in for some.

BTW- If you can come by where I work sometime when I am there I can get you cardboard. It is just a PITA for me to get it home without cutting it first. Sheets are about 3' x 8'.

Where do you work at? I might be able to swing by....

AZRedhawk44

Whatever glue you have. ;D  I'm just using Elmer's wood glue.

The target frames look a bit like a big long hurdle, consisting of 2x4's to act as vertical supports every 10 feet and PVC spanning vertically between the uprights.  The backers are held against the PVC with bolts and wingnuts.

The only thing backers need to attach to the target system are... holes.  The holes are 1 foot apart horizontally, 1 inch from the top of the cardboard.  There are holes pre-drilled in the PVC every foot for attaching backers.

AZRedhawk44

I've got plenty of cardboard.  I swung by a safe store on my side of town that gave it to me, and my parents gave me plenty more with some furniture they just purchased.  Lots of cardboard at the Redhawk-casa.   ++)

I've got TIME to make maybe 15-20 more backers.  If anyone else has time to make a handful of backers, it'd be appreciated.  Not a mountain... but between a few hearty volunteers another 10 or so backers show up... it'd be nice.

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZOpie on April 13, 2010, 08:58:30 PM

East Mesa and I work from 5:30 AM to 1:00 PM.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: AZOpie on April 13, 2010, 08:52:40 PM

I heard that!   ~~:)

;D

OK, I'm gonna go cut up some cardboard for awhile.  I'll check in again in a little bit. 

Everyone else (who hasn't checked in yet):  What are you doing for April 17-18?

NEWGUY556

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on April 13, 2010, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: AZOpie on April 13, 2010, 08:52:40 PM

I heard that!   ~~:)

;D

OK, I'm gonna go cut up some cardboard for awhile.  I'll check in again in a little bit.  

Everyone else (who hasn't checked in yet):  What are you doing for April 17-18?

Just did 6. Not pretty ones but fully functional.  I am out of glue now, I will try and get some more this week.
RWVA, Rifleman

NEWGUY556

chirp..... chirp..... CHIRP.......
California has 3 pages of posts,  :wb: where is everybody?
RWVA, Rifleman

tow2b

I will be at the Sierra Vista shoot this weekend. Good thing is its only a 15 minute drive.  :)

NEWGUY556

Quote from: tow2b on April 13, 2010, 11:50:11 PM
I will be at the Sierra Vista shoot this weekend. Good thing is its only a 15 minute drive.  :)

Outstanding! Thanks for joining us tonight. Is this your first event?
RWVA, Rifleman

lysander6

I am Spartacus...I am shoot bossing at Sierra Vista and hosting a news crew from the local newspaper.
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

NEWGUY556

Quote from: lysander6 on April 13, 2010, 11:59:59 PM
I am Spartacus...I am shoot bossing at Sierra Vista and hosting a news crew from the local newspaper.
Welcome Spartacus. We have been expecting you.
RWVA, Rifleman

AZOpie

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on April 13, 2010, 09:09:08 PM
Quote from: AZOpie on April 13, 2010, 08:58:30 PM

East Mesa and I work from 5:30 AM to 1:00 PM.

You are out there - thought I might be out in that directions today, but my workload is keeping way north in the valley this week....

Big O

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. George Washington

tow2b

second shoot. did one in Texas last year. We will se how things go this weekend. In Texas it was wet and muddy.

AZOpie

Excellent to have you shooting an Appleseed again.  O0  I hope the weather treats you well. Soak it up.

Big O

I'll be missing the AZ shoots yet again. Too many events going on at the same time and not enough me's to go around.  :wb:

On the positive side, I'll be working out with one of my newly formed 4 member competition teammates this weekend at a local 1/2 day practice match and breaking in my first AR (RRA NM A4) while at the same time exercising the skills that I learned from AZRedhawk44, AZGrommit and AZRon back in Nov 09'

So for now I'll continue to retain my wannabee AS status, unless the Nov 09' Buckeye Clinic and the constant plugging I do on behalf of Appleseed counts.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. George Washington

tow2b

weather is no big deal and tomorrow looks like it will be nice. Sunday on the other hand could be wet. I am in the process of moving so I hope I can find all my gear. What time is show time? I read on a flier its 0830.

AZOpie

The event starts at 8:30, people generally start showing up after 8:00. Have a great weekend!

tow2b