News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St Augustine

Started by West, April 13, 2010, 03:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West

Hey All,

Just wondering if you are going to be doing any more shoots in St Augustine this year.  I would like to come down and SB for one.  My uncle lives in the jacksonville area, he has three kids and a wife, and I want them to get out to an appleseed, and also spend some time with them.

Looking specifically for June/July time, but later in the year is OK too.

Thanks!

West  :))

PHenry

West,
Send old ItsanSKS a PM (actually, he's a young'n). We just added a range in Gainesville - not so far from St. Aug. and there may be some events there in that time period. Just remember that it is hot in Fl at that time of year!

The St. Aug range is a very busy place and a tad unusual in that it is a private club. They can only offer us a few events per year as I recall. It's also an odd line config, with dirt berms every 16 slots, making for a long line that requires greater vigilance and a more staff.

Good luck,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

jaxpilot

I'll be shooting my first AS this weekend at St. Augustine, looking forward to it. too bad the FOP range here is so small, that would probably be an alternative if a bit larger.

Paul

echodog

hey ,Im working the Gainesville shoot this weekend ,too bad you couldnt make that one, we could just swap boxes :)

PHenry

Excellent News!

I have just received an offer of help from one of the program's greats - Cannonman61. He is the one who coordinated the Ft. Stewart event and does Rev War reenactments - real cannons included! He has suffered some health issues recently, but feels ready to return to limited duty and saw that St. Aug was short-staffed.

I have asked him to get with ItsanSKS, the SB for this event.

So - looks like the St. Aug attendees will be in a for a real treat.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

caseyblane

Great! Looking forward to this weekend.
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

cannonman61

Hello the Camp!

I am excited about my impending return to appleseed duty. It almost didnt happen though as I had a bit of a setback this week and needed a travel buddy to go with me or it would not have been a good idea.

My wife, PrekJoann on the forum, has agreed to accompany me so I can go. Be sure to thank her for coming along as my battle buddy since she usually doesnt come out to my events. Without her, I could not attend this weekend.

I am bringing a lifesize Redcoat target(Handpainted) for the 4pm volley, a 3# garrison gun( muzzleloading cannon, 2 flintlock muskets and an american longrifle along with a couple of Rev War uniforms and civilian outfits.

I will do all I can and I am happy to be back. Let's make this a most memorable experience for our students!

CM
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

douglas34474

Allow me to be the first to thank your wife for accompanying you! I look forward to meeting you both.

Douglas

PHenry

To the St. Aug staff,
Please don't let Cannonman61 over exert himself as he is not fully recovered and Lady Liberty cannot afford to lose such a fine defender as he. Like his ancestors before him, he has much grit and is determined to serve our noble cause.

We could all take a lesson from this fine Patriot for sure!
PH

Son of Martha

Quote...and Lady Liberty cannot afford to lose such a fine defender as he. Like his ancestors before him, he has much grit and is determined to serve our noble cause.

(Amen)

Take care of him.  I'll have to come down and start tearing strips off if ya'll break him...

You're in for a treat.  Grendel, the muskets and uniforms are great additions, and make sure to let the kids have a go at them.  Good time to give out the youth patriot patches.  Have fun and light the fire.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Vaux

I shot my first AS this past weekend at St. Augustine.  I'm hooked and will definitely do this again.  I also have 2 or 3 friends that I will be trying to talk into coming to the next one in July.  I just want to say "thank you" to everyone involved in this.  Even though I didn't earn my patch this time, I learned a lot and had a great time. 

"Vaux" is the board name I use on forums.  For those who met me last weekend, my name is John, and I shot on the far left side of the line.

Eric:  If you're out there, fantastic job, and I hope your voice recovers soon!

BTW, I posted about my experience on ar15.comhttp://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1029501&page=1&#22730872

ThaiFighter

Welcome to AS and the Florida board! 

Where from? 
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

Vaux

Yulee.  Just North of Jax, and thanks for the welcome.

douglas34474

We were informed at the close of events Sunday that we have an event scheduled for July. Can't remember the dates but I'm sure they will be posted.

I'm sore all over more than any one spot, but it was worth every ache and pain to be there. Looking forward to the next one.

ThaiFighter

Quote from: Vaux on April 19, 2010, 06:48:33 PM
Yulee.  Just North of Jax, and thanks for the welcome.

Not at all...

I grew up on the WEstside.  Attended lakeshore Jr HS and Robert E Lee HS.  I used to go to Jax Raceways and of course, Fernandina Bch for Shrimp Fest.  I still have friends and family in your neck of the woods.

I may be at the July shoot, but I can't schedule out that far with work.   I will def be at the Silver Springs shoot in May.  Good job getting that one going Doug! :)

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

douglas34474

I cannot take any credit for the Silver Springs shoot coming up. That credit rightly goes to the Mailman. It is his efforts that have made that event happen.

We do however have a Host Application for a new range in Sparr, Florida, also in Marion County. We will have to schedule this event, but it will happen.

So far I have worked to secure the Branford Sportsmen's Farm, Gainesville Target Range and the new Sparr range. Still working to find more!  ;)

ThaiFighter

ahh yes, I met him and his young charge at Hernando...

I had no idea this was due to his influence...

I am a mushroom when it comes to the mechanics of these things...

Many thanks Mailman! :)

-GBS

douglas34474

The Silver Springs shoot should be great. Although they all are come to think of it.  **)

It's only 15 miles from the house, but I intent to camp. A good camp fire to tell lies around and a summer night, can't get any better. ItsanSKS says he's bringing his shelter half's. If I bring mine and we can get at least three M1s to bivouac stack together, there it will be a great photo op. Retro WW2!

petiteshooter

I really enjoyed the Appleseed in St- Augustine, I want to thank all the instructors :bow: which showed great enthusiasm towards this great cause, and of course their enduring patience. I replayed this past weekend in my head trying to pinpoint my mistakes and I think I got them. First, I was focusing on the target and not the front sight. Second, I drag wood. Clinnon also told me that my stock is too long for me, I need a good inch cut off.
On Monday, I started reading the information that Eric passed around.  I got to the Pledge of the Rifleman, twice it mentions to keep persisting. I took the Pledge and when it was time to put in the date, it read this 19 day of April, 2010. I got goose bumps all over.
And I want to add that I only have good words for the teenagers who attended, I wish we had more like them. O0
I am signed up for the Silver Springs one, it is only 25 miles from my house. O0

douglas34474

Quote from: petiteshooter on April 21, 2010, 11:23:44 AM
Clinnon also told me that my stock is too long for me, I need a good inch cut off.

Let me know when you want to take that inch off your rifle and we will get it done.

Douglas

petiteshooter

[/quote]

Let me know when you want to take that inch off your rifle and we will get it done.

Douglas
[/quote]

I am not working tomorrow or Friday. I do not mind going to your place for the work. I did not order the GI sling yet but I think you could also drill in for the swivels. My Mosin M44's stock is also too long, let's cut that one too. As they say "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine". So let's make it fit. I'll send you a PM. O0

ThaiFighter

time to fire up the chainsaw!  ++)

Wait!  You are really going to cut off the steel buttplate on that Mosin carbine?!?!?!?!   How will you know you've fired the rifle?  **)

-GBS

petiteshooter

Quote from: ThaiFighter on April 21, 2010, 10:15:18 PM

Wait!  You are really going to cut off the steel buttplate on that Mosin carbine?!?!?!?!   How will you know you've fired the rifle?  **)

Well, the steel buttplate will have to be removed. The top of the stock will have to be reworked with a router for the top of the steel buttplate to fit. 

See some pictures,

douglas34474

Quote from: ThaiFighter on April 21, 2010, 10:15:18 PM

Oh man, you don't know nothing. You use a hatched for that type of work!!!!!  ++)