News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Additional Calverton Events (Long Island)

Started by kDan, April 08, 2010, 12:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

I'm talking to Harry (range owner) about additional events this year.  We're thinking one a month.  I have to choose the dates and fax them to him for approval and conflict resolution.  We have full access to this 120' line except the three or four times a year that an LEO group uses it.  Pretty much a DAR.  We could even run two lines if we drum up enough interest.  Not outside the realm of possibility.

I don't think that scheduling Calverton the same week-end with other NYS shoots is a big deal because it's too different groups of shooters, but some instructors may want to make the trip down to the Island for one of these.  

Does anyone have any preferences as to scheduling?  I'll probably be able to SB each of these until LI has it's own instructor corps, but if anybody wants to SB out there, let me know.  
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

Well ... I'm not a SB (Yet) but you know I'm always available to help out . We could try for the one a month and see how it goes over. I do think we should have another one (atleast one) in the works and start getting it set up. To my knowledge there isn't any "Official" shoots scheduled for Calverton after the April one. How about May 15-16 Armed Forces Day Weekend for starts?
Although this isn't giving much time to get the word out.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

dwarven1

Since I'm having a hard time getting some of my friends on LI to sign up, I'll probably come down for a couple of shoots if you want to import an instructor from New England... that way I can guilt trip my friends into getting their lazy butts off the couch and out to the line.  ~~:)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Josey Wales

..lets get some dates and keepem comming..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

kDan

VietVet - May 15-16 Armed Forces Day Weekend is now on the list.  That will be our second event this year. 

Dwarven1 - I was thinking of you when I posted this, but kept it in NY hoping you'd find it.  How bout reaching out to any other expats you know about?  I'd love to work with you again - it's been a couple years I think.  Come on down! 

I'll pick some other dates out of a hat and go over them with The Man this week-end.  I'm going out there on Saturday with the boys VV and BJM!  Josey, you're welcome to come out too.  See ya guys!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

sgtrock

I might be able to do that weekend, I'll know more in a couple of weeks,,,   sgtrock

VietVet

Quote from: kDan on April 09, 2010, 08:42:36 PM

I'll pick some other dates out of a hat and go over them with The Man this week-end.  I'm going out there on Saturday with the boys VV and BJM!  Josey, you're welcome to come out too.  See ya guys!

Hopefully "SATURDAY" is a typo Dan?  You told me SUNDAY!
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

kDan

Saturday, Sunday...  what's the difference?

Yes, Rich - Sunday. 

oops.

Quote from: VietVet on April 10, 2010, 09:10:12 AM

I'll pick some other dates out of a hat and go over them with The Man this week-end.  I'm going out there on Saturday with the boys VV and BJM!  Josey, you're welcome to come out too.  See ya guys!

Hopefully "SATURDAY" is a typo Dan?  You told me SUNDAY!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

LongIslandFirearms

Once a month MIGHT be too much....

If it were me; I'd hold one every 8-10 weeks to ensure your event is successful. It takes time for events like this to 'hit the streets' and shooters to 'save up funds'.

My .02 cents

Save the date: April 20th, visit Starbucks! Show your support. www.SupportStarbucks.com
Attention Long Island Female Shooters: www.LongIslandWomenOnTarget.com

dwarven1

VietVet - May 15-16 Armed Forces Day Weekend is now on the list.  That will be our second event this year.  

Dwarven1 - I was thinking of you when I posted this, but kept it in NY hoping you'd find it.  How bout reaching out to any other expats you know about?  I'd love to work with you again - it's been a couple years I think.  Come on down!  

I will...  but not that weekend. I have a MYCHIP http://mychip.org/ event that my Lodge is running, so since I've already committed to that I can't make your May shoot. Shoot me a PM when you get more on the schedule and I'll block out one of those dates on the calendar.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

bravo juliet mike

I think that if we could arrange a shoot every six weeks it would be ideal. Not every event has to sell 50+ tickets I think we could get 25-30 shooters every six weeks. By having shoots on a regular basis we can get repeat shooters that were knocking on the door with 190-200 scores to return to get the coveted patch. Those shooters will, hopefully, bring fresh shooters the next time. Long Island has a population greater than many major American cities at 2.5 million, and that doesn't include New York City. I don't know how many of those millions own rifles but I'd bet that we have a significant population to draw from if we can figure out how to reach them. Additionally, by having regular shoots we can build an instructor corps, which is desperately needed on Long Island.