News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Quarterly Review of Appleseed in FL

Started by ItsanSKS, April 08, 2010, 02:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

To All:

Appleseed in Florida is off to a good start; we started this year with 20 events scheduled, and have already increased that to a total of 23, with new venues in the works.  

Five events have been held already, and though attendance has been relatively light, it has been mainly new faces- a good sign.  Some familiar faces have been conspicuously absent, and I'm certain the economy has much to do with it. 

Promotions, I feel, has been lacking overall, but there have been a few bright spots- Forum member Caseyblane deserves recognition for his hard work on Facebook, & Douglas for his efforts in securing another range and radio interaction- keep up the good work gentlemen!

As for the rest of us, we could all stand to redouble our promotions efforts.  I know, we all have lives, things to do, jobs to work, but Appleseeding is not a hobby, its a mission; for it to be successful, we need at least 3 days a month from you, more if you can spare it.  

Within the next week, I will be posting a new flier, covering the next 4 months- a Summer Flier.  I challenge each of you who read this to print out 100 of them, and spend an hour or two a week dropping them off to your local gun stores, ranges and any other store that will let you post one up.  Community bulletin board? It should at least have a flier posted up so people can see the info.  

Generic business cards are available from the appleseed web store; these are great for passing out at tea parties and gun shows- order a few batches with your next sling. 

Anyone have a line on a range in S. Florida?  Got some folks itchin to go to a 'seed, but can't make the trip that far North.  I'd like to have one squared away for the fall.  25m and a safe backstop.  Thats all we need...

Be safe, and I hope to see you on the trail soon!

-ItsanSKS

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hornblower

ItsanSKS

HB-

Ideally, we would like room for at least 20-25 shooters, but we will certainly make an exception, if it means we get a range in South Florida.. 

We determine range capacity by dividing the length of the berm, or the length of the firing line (whichever is shorter) by 3.5'.  IE: Range has a berm width of 200', but a firing line width of 175';
175'/3.5'= 50 shooter capacity. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

hornblower

I am meeting with a Trustee of our club on Tuesday in regard to hosting an Appleseed in Punta Gorda.

At that time, I will also get the range capacity.

We have 3 ranges, each of which is covered and divided into shooting stalls.

I hope to convince the club to host an Appleseed.

And, I hope that the range capacity would give us at least 15 spots.

I'll let you know after my meeting on Tuesday.

Hornblower

hornblower

It doesn't look like the Southwest Florida Sportman's Association will host an Appleseed.

I was told that they don't have the insurance to cover "outside" events.

Additionally, the club's charter does not allow use of the ranges "for profit".

I know they have refused to have NRA courses because of that rule.

I'll keep trying.

Hornblower

ItsanSKS

Three points:

1: Thank You for working to make this happen.  I would love to have an event in S. Florida, and I'm sure that there are PLENTY of folks who would love to attend one.

2: We have our own liability insurance policy that follows us to whatever range we happen to be instructing at.  The range can also be listed as an "Additional Insured" for the duration of any event, though rarely is this necessary.

3: We are not a "For Profit" organization.  We are a 501.c.3 non-profit organization that teaches American Heritage, American History, and Rifle Marksmanship.  I think what the club is considering, is that they would 'make a profit' by charging range fee's for the event- standard protocol.  If it would make them feel better about the prospect, they could 'donate' the range, by not charging a per-person range fee, or they could simply donate the funds collected as a range fee back to the RWVA, and receive a tax-deductible receipt in the process.  Win/Win 

Please have the Board of Directors contact me, and I will work to clear up any questions or misconceptions that they may have- it's my job.  @&)

Eric "ItsanSKS" McCabe
Florida State Coordinator
Project Appleseed
Email: RWVA@Live.com
Phone: (813)335-3114

hornblower

I have now passed that information on to club officials.

I'll keep trying.

Hornblower