News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Loaner rifles at Stinson 4/17,18?

Started by Chrome, April 03, 2010, 12:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrome

I may need two loaner rifles at Stinson.  I've got two more people interested in coming and I'm running out of loaners.  Is there anyone going to be there that's going to have some extras?  If not, I can start going towards my bolt and tube feds if I have to.
Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

siglite

I'll have two loaner rifles with me, but I don't think they'll do you much good, since I'll be in Beckley.  ^-^

If you guys are REALLY in a pinch, I could possibly loan them to The Machine for the weekend.
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

Chrome

Quote from: siglite on April 03, 2010, 01:05:43 AM
I'll have two loaner rifles with me, but I don't think they'll do you much good, since I'll be in Beckley.  ^-^

If you guys are REALLY in a pinch, I could possibly loan them to The Machine for the weekend.

I'll let you know if I can't wrangle something up.  I'm still waiting on the 100% confirmation from both of them.  One is excited about it and is just trying to clear a schedule, the other is mildly interested and just lazy I guess.  One of them had been talking about buying a .22 rifle anyway, so I've been nudging him towards buyin one but he's still holding out.  I'm sure this Appleseed (if he's able to make it, it's a 50% chance at the moment) will push him over the edge.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

The Machine

And what is the reason for the loaners? Newbies? Kids? The general policy is for instructors to have 1-2 loaners in case someone who brought their own rifle had a serious malfunction of some sort. Instead of having their weekend ruined due to some mechanical failure, we keep loaners on hand. I do make exceptions with some of the younger folks who have never shot before, and their parents don't want to shell out any money on a rifle, until confidence that the youngster warrants one develops.

Part of what we impart to people attending Appleseeds is personal responsibility. I consider purchasing and maintaining your own rifle a part of that. I don't want folks to get the impression that these events include a rifle loaned to them as part of the "package". On the other hand, I don't want to exclude anyone from attending an AS if their desire is sincere; so I evaluate on a case-by-case basis.

What you or another instructor chooses to loan, and the reason behind it, is your business. I personally won't have an extra rifle to loan myself, and I can't speak for our SB, which could be Spanner at this point. You'll have to run it by him. I know Dick's Sporting Goods was running a sale on Marlin 795s, plus there is a mail-in rebate from Marlin...total cost about $100. 
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Chrome

One of the guys in question is a complete newbie to the shooting world.  If these two come, that makes four including Wifey and I.  Wifey will be using my scoped 10/22 and I the LTR, which leaves me with a bolt gun and her with a Marlin 60 as a backup.  As I said, I'm trying to get one of these guys to buy a rifle.  He's been talking about it on and off for a few weeks.  I'd really like to pickup a 795 or two to use as loaners, but money is a bit tight at the moment with the wedding and all.

I do understand where you're coming from on the personal responsibility and I certainly agree.  That's one of the things I'm hoping Wifey gains during the weekend.  Every time we've shot, I've been there coaching her.  Hopefully, she'll step up during the weekend and become more proficient in all aspects of firearm handling and really own the idea of being a Rifleman regardless of her score.

I'm not even sure these loaners will be needed, but I wanted to see if they would be available if needed.  I maybe able to scare up a few extras myself.  Like I said, I think if I can just get a rifle in Will's hands for a weekend he'll run out and get one himself, and the 795 looks like a great option with the ever increasing cost of the 10/22.

Later,
Chrome...

ETA, I knew Keith was going to be in Beckley and Spanner had talked about that too.  That's one of the reasons for my asking.
Montani Semper Liberi

The Machine

I almost forgot; as an extra incentive to get firearms into the hands of West Virginians, our Governor begrudgingly signed-off on a state sales tax waiver for all WV firearms sales. I don't remember how long it remains in effect--siglite probably does--but this is an extra incentive for your friend who is procrastinating a purchase. As for the one you refer to as "just lazy I guess"; tell him we're interested in correcting that situation, if he can muster up the energy to make the Stinson trip.  ;D

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

Chrome

Quote from: The Machine on April 03, 2010, 03:36:09 AM
I almost forgot; as an extra incentive to get firearms into the hands of West Virginians, our Governor begrudgingly signed-off on a state sales tax waiver for all WV firearms sales. I don't remember how long it remains in effect--siglite probably does--but this is an extra incentive for your friend who is procrastinating a purchase. As for the one you refer to as "just lazy I guess"; tell him we're interested in correcting that situation, if he can muster up the energy to make the Stinson trip.  ;D

The Governor VETOED that bill, as well as another Pro-2A bill.  But this really isn't the place for debating that. 

Yeah, I'm hoping this weekend will awake a few more, if I can convince them to get there!

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

The Machine

QuoteThe Governor VETOED that bill...
Really? I saw it on the local news a couple of weeks ago and they reported it went through.  #)

Regardless, the Marlin 795 is a great buy right now, and it is very accurate right out of the box. I'll probably be buying another one before the 17th, so I'll see if they charge sales tax.  ;)

Chrome

Yeah, the bill was passed, but Manchin refused to sign it into law.  Instead, he signed it with his special veto pen.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=36277

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Spanner

Quote from: The Machine on April 03, 2010, 01:25:52 AM
And what is the reason for the loaners? Newbies? Kids? The general policy is for instructors to have 1-2 loaners in case someone who brought their own rifle had a serious malfunction of some sort. Instead of having their weekend ruined due to some mechanical failure, we keep loaners on hand. I do make exceptions with some of the younger folks who have never shot before, and their parents don't want to shell out any money on a rifle, until confidence that the youngster warrants one develops.

There is no general policy; and certainly not what is quoted above.  Let's not get confused on this issue, the way that confusion was spread on the "Instructor Camo" thread.  BTW that thread is now locked, and it was locked by the person who made one of the most misleading statements on the entire thread.

Chrome: I have loaners, but I don't know yet where I will be on April 17.  Once that is settled, PM me and I'll see if there is anything I can do.

As far as which rifle to buy, some don't like the Ruger 10-22.  But they are reliable, which is a big plus for Appleseeds. 

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

The Machine

QuoteThere is no general policy; and certainly not what is quoted above.
I can always count on Spanner for his "dissection" skills!  ;D He's correct... The "official" policy is that the RWVA/Appleseed does not loan out rifles; for insurance compliance. Shoot Bosses and Master Instructors are encouraged to have loaner rifles with them at the shoots they work. The reasons behind this are numerous. Many instructors--of any color hat--usually have a loaner.

Here's a couple threads relating to loaners:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6066.0

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11816.0

Chrome, what I referred to as "general policy" was specifically geared to our WV shoots. I'm not a cruel, heartless, selfish person when it applies to loaning out things for Appleseed purposes (anyone who's met me should know this). :) Heck, we've opened up our private residence for use as a DAR!

I want all folks in our state to reconnect with the heritage and skills that define an "American", but I also encourage an effort on their part to do so--personal responsibility. I've found through experience, that most of those requiring loaner rifles at our shoots either had a malfunctioning rifle which they brought; younger folks who are just entering shooting; those who want to try a LTR of a different make/model.

As I stated, any instructor can decide for themselves when it applies to loaning out rifles.

Chrome

Quote from: The Machine on April 03, 2010, 01:31:34 PM
Chrome, what I referred to as "general policy" was specifically geared to our WV shoots. I'm not a cruel, heartless, selfish person when it applies to loaning out things for Appleseed purposes (anyone who's met me should know this). :) Heck, we've opened up our private residence for use as a DAR!

I want all folks in our state to reconnect with the heritage and skills that define an "American", but I also encourage an effort on their part to do so--personal responsibility. I've found through experience, that most of those requiring loaner rifles at our shoots either had a malfunctioning rifle which they brought; younger folks who are just entering shooting; those who want to try a LTR of a different make/model.

I certainly didn't take it that way, and again, I fully understand where you are getting at.  I'd love it if every American was required to own a long gun.  However, undoubtedly there will be times where there are those interested that for whatever reason don't have access to a suitable firearm.  If I am able, I'll equip them the best I can.  I think Appleseed could definitely be the catalyst for them to go out and equip themselves.  I saw that at the March Appleseed with Charles.  He was a newer shooter and while he had a .22, it was a tube fed style that he found difficult to operate the COF with.  Someone supplied him with a 10/22 LTR and by the end of the event, he wanted to go out and buy one.  Then, he did!

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi