News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

15-16 May Billings, MT shoot

Started by bru, April 01, 2010, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bru

Awesome!   ^:)^

Who's instructing at this?
"Our friends show us what we can do; our enemies teach us what we must do"  -Goethe

glocker21

Quote from: bru on April 01, 2010, 01:04:17 AM
Awesome!   ^:)^

Who's instructing at this?

I am awaiting the Info from the Instructor Scheduling Team. As soon as I have a Shoot Boss scheduled then I will be able to get more info to you guys.

Glocker21
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

MontanaCrusader

Had a great weekend at the Billings Gun Show.  Met a lot of people and passed out over 500 Appleseed fliers and brochures.  Seem to be well received.  Hopefully will start seeing the ranks fill up rapidly.
"It's the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory."

TheCount

All right Treasure State denizens.   It's official.   I'm going to head up the road a bit to help out and run the Billings shoot.

Who else is on board from your Instructor Corps?   Or is everyone headed over to Boulder?   I certainly hope that I'll need some help with this one and that turn out is better than what we've been seeing down here in Wyoming and South Dakota.

Looking forward to it.   This will actually be the closest shoot I'm doing all year.

glocker21

I am glaed to have you on board. At the moment the majority are heading to Boulder. SOOO....if we get other instructors for that then we can probably send some to Billings
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

money."
Charley Reese

TheCount

Quote from: glocker21 on April 20, 2010, 03:00:43 PM
At the moment the majority are heading to Boulder.

By majority I hope you don't mean 100%.   At least give me an IIT or two to work with  ;)

I suppose we can see if the pre-regs pick up.   I noticed the range doesn't even list it on their calendar  :wb:

Mark Davis

Andrew,
We have two new instructors after the Three Forks shoot. One of them verbally agreed to help at Boulder. I was thinking that Pa Rah, I and a couple others could do Boulder.
Jerry ( glocker21) wants to come to Billings and I contacted Wheeler44 about the Billings shoot, he may yet come for it and could probably bring someone to help.
Mark

TheCount

glocker21

I have put in a request to take me off the Boulder roster and add me to the Billings roster.

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

Gremlin

Well, I just signed up.  My schedule is a little tight so I can only show up for sure on Saturday.  Depending on my Sunday morning, I may be able to come back on Sunday sometime to qualify.  This is at my home range, do I still need to pay a range fee?

My ammo situation is giving me some grief.  I've got plenty of 7.62 Nato, but that rifle has a scope.  I'm light on 5.56, but that rifle is open sites.  I guess I'll bring both and hopefully I can find some cheap 5.56 ammo to bring as well.  Anybody know where I can get a GI sling in Billings?

Mark Davis

Welcome to appleseed Gremlin, You can shoot the 7.62 with the scope. At appleseed we want you to shoot the rifle you have.
Hope to meet you some day, Boulder calls me May 15-16.
Mark

RPD

Quote from: Gremlin on May 03, 2010, 11:33:04 PM
Anybody know where I can get a GI sling in Billings?

Don't know where you can get one in Billings, but you can order one from the AS store:
       http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=10&cat_id=5

Wish I could be out there for the shoot.

-RPD
*The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts.
*The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
*Whenever separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Gremlin

Quote from: clodhopper on May 04, 2010, 12:04:13 AM
Welcome to appleseed Gremlin, You can shoot the 7.62 with the scope. At appleseed we want you to shoot the rifle you have.
Hope to meet you some day, Boulder calls me May 15-16.
Mark

Hmmm, well I can hit with both rifles out to 300 yards, but the 7.62 is certainly easier to hit with.  The 5.56 is way faster for switching positions.  I'm going to hunt for some cheap 5.56 so I can bring both rifles.

TheCount

Well, I just signed up.  My schedule is a little tight so I can only show up for sure on Saturday.  Depending on my Sunday morning, I may be able to come back on Sunday sometime to qualify.  This is at my home range, do I still need to pay a range fee?

My ammo situation is giving me some grief.  I've got plenty of 7.62 Nato, but that rifle has a scope.  I'm light on 5.56, but that rifle is open sites.  I guess I'll bring both and hopefully I can find some cheap 5.56 ammo to bring as well.  Anybody know where I can get a GI sling in Billings?

Gremlin, bring what you've got.  Important thing is that you're there.

Have you checked Billings Army Navy?   The have a confusing listing for a M1 Carbine Web Sling (Garand)   That does not look like a carbine sling     I'd say it's worth giving them a call or swinging by for a look.

MontanaCrusader should be able to answer the range fee question.    I would assume that the fee only applies to non-members, but we need to verify that.

glocker21

Quote from: The Count on May 04, 2010, 10:51:26 AM

Gremlin, bring what you've got.  Important thing is that you're there.

Have you checked Billings Army Navy?   The have a confusing listing for a M1 Carbine Web Sling (Garand)   That does not look like a carbine sling     I'd say it's worth giving them a call or swinging by for a look.

MontanaCrusader should be able to answer the range fee question.    I would assume that the fee only applies to non-members, but we need to verify that.

I concur. Montana Crusader should be able to help with the range fee question as he has been doing the leg work for this shoot. And an AWESOME job he has been doing.

Glocker21 sends

money."
Charley Reese

colycat

Does any one care that Boulder is not covered in terms of a SB?  Its only 1 week out.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

glocker21

Quote from: colycat on May 10, 2010, 09:00:19 AM
Does any care that Boulder is not covered in terms of a SB?  Its only 1 week out.

I will inquire

money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

Scheduling shows Clodhopper, Pah Rah and Bru in attendance. I have requested notification of Shoot Boss. If there is no Shoot Boss listed then I will request Pah Rah or Clodhopper be Shoot Boss if they qould be gracious enough to accept one Instructor Scheduling PMs me back.

Glocker21

money."
Charley Reese

mtmisfit

Quote from: glocker21 on May 10, 2010, 02:10:34 PM
Does any care that Boulder is not covered in terms of a SB?  Its only 1 week out.

I will inquire

Come on glocker, you know we don't care about titles.  :)

We'll designate one a shoot boss and get on with the show. If nothing else we're good at implementing ICS.

:~
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

colycat

So no one will forget,  We do care about titles.  Appleseed is a national program, with standards that are the same from Fl to WA.  We seem to be having areas that want to run the program as they see fit.  NO!

I am sorry to say I have not meet any of the MT crew.  Is there someone who has been through the SBIT part of becoming a SB,  Who can be listed as the SB?  Maybe Guy will chime in and tell me to shut up $$-0

Quote from: mtmisfit on May 10, 2010, 06:21:02 PM

I will inquire

We'll designate one a shoot boss and get on with the show. If nothing else we're good at implementing ICS.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Western Rose

Just so you know, both Clodhopper and Pa Rah are SBs. 8) Both are fit for the job and both are signed up for Boulder May 15-16. ..:..

Yes, I do realize that their profiles say "RWVA Instructor" but they have both SBed at least one event with no other RH/SBs around.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

colycat

Well this is good news indeed.  Someone flip a coin and sign up to SB.  We just had an event that was cancelled at the last moment because we thought it was covered.  Some people took off of work and drove 5 hrs just to find the event canceled.  There were failers on a lot of levels and as this program gets bigger, the tendensy could get worse.  Espicially if regions of the country do it there own way.

Quote from: Western Rose on May 10, 2010, 08:06:36 PM
Just so you know, both Clodhopper and Pa Rah are SBs. 8) Both are fit for the job and both are signed up for Boulder May 15-16. ..:..

Yes, I do realize that their profiles say "RWVA Instructor" but they have both SBed at least one event with no other RH/SBs around.

glocker21

Quote from: mtmisfit on May 10, 2010, 06:21:02 PM

I will inquire

[/quote

I dig the ICS...but youikknow me the rule follower...

money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

I understand that Rose but on the Instructor roster the SB slot appears to be open. I have zero problem with either being SB for the shoot but I was just trying to follow the rules that have been sent down to me.

money."
Charley Reese

glocker21

Quote from: colycat on May 10, 2010, 08:21:26 PM
Well this is good news indeed.  Someone flip a coin and sign up to SB.  We just had an event that was cancelled at the last moment because we thought it was covered.  Some people took off of work and drove 5 hrs just to find the event canceled.  There were failers on a lot of levels and as this program gets bigger, the tendensy could get worse.  Espicially if regions of the country do it there own way.

Hence my wanting to follow the rules

money."
Charley Reese

Mark Davis

Shoot boss for Boulder???

Some months back, I sent a message to instructor scheduling volunteering to be Shoot boss for the Boulder shoot...Many days passed with no word or listing on instructor schedule.
So I sent instructor scheduling a message volunteering to be an instructor at the Boulder shoot and was immediately listed as such.
Not wanting to bring grief to my fellow appleseed volunteers I thought we could just have a instruction clinic and be over the drama.
I have already sent a course of fire to the other instructors and plan to keep the records and send in the necessary paper work.
If sbit means shoot boss in training, no I have not been though any, but I was cast on the griddle as shoot boss for Garfield Washington last summer and was shoot boss at Three Forks MT. and Boulder MT last Fall.
Appleseed instruction was delivered, Riflemen and riflewomen were made, the story of April 19 was told, no one was wounded, the range cleaned up, and applecentral received the funds collected.

MontanaCrusader

Things are looking good for Billings.  The weather is promising and hopefully all works out well.  The firing line is getting covered and the ground is drying out.  Have all my backboards made up; hopefully they are the right size...  Need to get a target line set up Friday, using t-post and wire, with any luck, minimal wind!!!  Setting up a firing line for 60 shooters, but don't think we will reach that number on the inaugural shoot, but my hopes are high.  Did not get any sponsors to supply materials. 

As far as range fees, Blue Creek as been very gracious about that.  I listed 10 dollars on the event, that is the fee for the range, but Blue Creek has not really insisted, we will work that out with the range master this weekend, he was just excited to have the event.   Once we show them the quality of the shoot and leave the range in good or better condition then we receive it.  We can work out the rest with Blue Creek.  If you are already a member, there would be no fees.

Jon
"It's the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory."

Western Rose

Quote from: glocker21 on May 10, 2010, 09:00:17 PM

I understand that Rose but on the Instructor roster the SB slot appears to be open. I have zero problem with either being SB for the shoot but I was just trying to follow the rules that have been sent down to me.

Yes Sir!

I was answering this part of Coly's comment:
Quote from: colycat on May 10, 2010, 08:02:33 PM
Is there someone who has been through the SBIT part of becoming a SB,  Who can be listed as the SB? 

You guys have two safe, fun shoot out there!! 8) O0
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

glocker21

Quote from: MontanaCrusader on May 11, 2010, 12:34:41 AM
Things are looking good for Billings.  The weather is promising and hopefully all works out well.  The firing line is getting covered and the ground is drying out.  Have all my backboards made up; hopefully they are the right size...  Need to get a target line set up Friday, using t-post and wire, with any luck, minimal wind!!!  Setting up a firing line for 60 shooters, but don't think we will reach that number on the inaugural shoot, but my hopes are high.  Did not get any sponsors to supply materials. 

As far as range fees, Blue Creek as been very gracious about that.  I listed 10 dollars on the event, that is the fee for the range, but Blue Creek has not really insisted, we will work that out with the range master this weekend, he was just excited to have the event.   Once we show them the quality of the shoot and leave the range in good or better condition then we receive it.  We can work out the rest with Blue Creek.  If you are already a member, there would be no fees.

Jon

Hey Jon...good job on the setup.

I will be arriving sometime Friday evening. Maybe we can get together at the range to do a walk through

Jerry

money."
Charley Reese

TheCount

Quote from: glocker21 on May 11, 2010, 11:30:13 AM
Hey Jon...good job on the setup.
Ditto!

I will be arriving sometime Friday evening. Maybe we can get together at the range to do a walk through

I should be in town early afternoon.   1400... ish... Jon, do you want to meet at the range?   You want me to give you a call when I get in?   Should we just pick a time when all of us can get together?