News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FREE!! New Years Day Rapid Fire Shoot FREE!!!

Started by wildman, November 15, 2007, 03:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

It is with great pleasure that I can now announce that we have scheduled The Annual News Years Day Rapid Fire Shoot and it will be held at the Ramseur Range. When? Well News Years Day of course at 12:00 noon sharp. That not all. The event is open to all our shootin' buddies guys and gals for FREE that's right FREE. Wait that's still not all. Ham and blackeyed peas will be served compliments of the wildman. So there you go Food Fun Fellowship and plenty of shootin' for free what a great way to start the New Year. Bring your own mess kit, fork, spoon, whatever and somethin' to drink... hey I aint your momma.

Oh yeah don't forget plenty of ammo and your smoke pole

If you would like to help come early and help set targets that would be great. We will also need help cleanin' up and puttin' away targets.

To get the free chow you must let me know (wildman) via PM if your are coming so I can prepare enough. Please let me know by 12/27.

SHOOT STARTS AT 12:00 HRS.SHARP!! TUESDAY JANUARY 1st
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Muddogg

Awesome!

I might be able to make it, I forgot to look at the schedule today to see when i return to PA for school after the hoilday break. If I have to return to Pittsburgh that day, I might show up but leave early to make it back on time. I really hope I can make it, I'll have a definate answer next week.

Doesn't the superstition go something like, "The thing you do on the first day of the year will be the thing you do for the rest of the year?"

Sounds like this is the best way to bring in the New Year!

(BTW, no collard greens Wildman? Must be an eastern NC thing, I'll have to bring some if I can make it ;))
-The Muddogg

wildman

Yes nothing smells more like welcome and home than a big pot of collards cooking on the stove. I'll bring some collards.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Junior Birdman

3 things I REALLY hate to miss out on:  Collards, Black eyed peas, and FREE!  Oh, and some mighty fun shooting too.  Honestly folks! Does it get any better than THIS!  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Muddogg

Just checked my school calendar for the new year, and they'll be closed on the 2nd! Looks like I'm a headed to Ramseur, YAHOO!

Need me to bring anything Wildman? (Besides a lethal dose of vinegar ;D)

I'll see if I can't get any of my sisters to tag along, the middle one has been wishing to learn the way of the Rifleman!
-The Muddogg

wildman

I thought I wrote a reply to this must'a pushed the wrong button.

Glad you can make it. Bring mess kit or paper plate + fork, spoon, whatever. I have asked that folks send me a Private Message by 12/27 so I'll know how much to cook.

shaky-jake

Couple of guestions.

Round count?

What time will the event begin?

What the course of fire consist of?

Thanks in advance.

wildman

12:00 noon bring as much ammo as you want to shoot. The day will be informal and we will shooting what ever we want that day... pop-ups of course. "Eight Down," "Counter Attack," if you don't what thoes are check out this site, http://riflemanswonderland.blogspot.com/.  El Supremo will be driving that train not me. I hope I'll be doing a lot of shooting. Its fun to shoot El Supermos targets before he can or at least hit the targets he misses.  Come early and help set targets if you can. The idea is food fellowship and fun. Bring as much ammo as you want to shoot and more that's up to you. I'll have at least 200 rounds but may not shoot them all.

Son of Martha

Looking forward to this.  A trip to wonderland and FREE to boot.

Don't miss the opportunity guys.  It will likely become more expensive to go before it becomes cheaper...

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Fred

SoM, looking forward to meeting you again! Hope you can round up that ZH fellow (hogtie him, if you have to) and bring him along wid ya! For that matter, any hitchikers, etc, too. ;D

I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, but wildman and myself, along with the RWVA president, stopped by the range Christmas Eve for a little pre-NY practice. (First time pulling a trigger for me since the Aug "Ripcord" shoot, where I covered myself with glory - not! >:()

It's not that we practice to win, of course. We practice to keep the winning team honest!

Anyway, here's [one of] the course(s) of fire, if any of you want to "warm up" before Jan 1:

Put up a 14" X 18" inch sheet of paper at 100, 200, and 300 yards. With 20 rounds, in 60 seconds, put at least 5 hits on the first two, and as many as you can on the last one. You can fire extra shots to make sure you get at least five on each of the first two, as if you don't, you score a big ZERO!

For those of you with the Guide, you can use the "Rapid Standing" target at 25m to duplicate this course.

This is simply the Guide COF, at full distance.

And watch for NPOA shift. I got caught at 300 yards with a pretty good group (mostly) but almost a target off to the right! No way that could have happened! ;D

Then, just for fun, we did it again, prone - and loved how steady the position is, compared to standing. Makes you really appreciate prone shooting, to have to stand on your hind legs!

This COF will guarantee you will become one of the world's great rapid-fire standing shooters - if you persist in it.

We used to do it often, and got pretty good at it (so good, you had to get 6, 7, 8, or 9 hits on the "300" target to win!), but it is a perishable skill that needs to be practiced at least once in a while - and it's easy NOT to practice it.

The New Year's Day Shoot is rapid-fire, which means you'll be filling mags when you're not on the line, shooting.

A lot of it will be three-man team shoots, so bring two others with you.

Since most people can't find two other people who like to shoot (!!), we'll squad people to teams as they show up.

This will not be a big shoot - prob 12-15 people, tops. (But being "free" - and you better thank wildman for that idea! - maybe there's a chance 18-20 will show up.)

At any rate, the idea is fun shooting, with just enough "competitive" aspects to make you try a little harder...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

wildman

It's the 27th and so far I only have six folks coming to the NYD RF. SOM and his gang and DD from Ohio with his bunch are the only one who have let me know they are coming for sure.

Please let me know via PM (no sense crowding the board with RSVPs) if you are coming. I need to know how much food to cook. You'll be a sad puppy when wildman the mess sgt throws you out of the chow line 'cause you didn't let him know you were coming. If a couple of weeks ago you said you might that don't count send me a PM to confirm.

Don't let Fred scare ya. :o I'm gonna work on him and his 20 rounds in 1 minute. If you ain't gotta somethin' that'll shoot 20 rounds without a reload your pretty much out before your in. We will have to gang up on him. On the other hand maybe we ought to let him win so he won't feel so bad. Its all for fun anyway and old guys like Fred need to feel like they can still hack it.  :P

Fred

If wildman keeps talk like that last sentence up, we'll cut the time for the 20 rds to 30 secs, and require everyone but Fred to use a muzzleloader! Would that be fair? Would that be right?

The New Year's Day Shoot is for fun - when was the last time you shot, just for the FUN of it?

PS: wildman, better polish those strippers so those rounds feed quickly! ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Fred

PS: It helps to know and trust your trajectory. When we fired the Xmas Eve practice, I made no sight adjustment, since the rifle was sighed in about 1 MOA high for 300 yards.

Therefore, aiming at 6 0'clock at 100, the shots were 6" above POA at that distance, and at 200 yards, were 6" above POA. The target, being 18" high, was impacted by all bullets...

Therefore, no sight adjustments needed, out to 300 (altho at 300, you alter your sight pic slightly, aiming more COT than not).

wildman

OH yeah....well your feet stink.

Bring on what ever dirty old rifle you got we'll have a shoot out.

Fred

Those of you under 21, and those of you who don't know wildman, need to understand that he is really a nice, jovial fellow, if a little sensitive about having to fire rounds more than one a minute!

In fact, until this last post, he was considered the most "normal" RWVA member there is... ;D

wildman

Well that my be but remember I shot a 92 rapid fire at Perry this past summer.  ;D

I have had to do  something I don't like to do. No 60 year old rifles this time. I broke out my RRA NM A2 that what your up against.  8)

Dinky Dao

Quote from: wildman on December 27, 2007, 09:53:07 AM

It's the 27th and so far I only have six folks coming to the NYD RF. SOM and his gang and DD from Ohio with his bunch are the only one who have let me know they are coming for sure.

Hey wildman,

Looking forward to the shoot and free fixin's! I hope you can cook as good as you shoot!  ;D

Oh yeah, one more thing...I'm a girl....LOL!   :P

Dinky Dao
"DD"
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

wildman

Thankgoodnes for that someone has to be the girl. I assumed you were an old vet from RVN like me how else wouild you know what diny dao means. Some say I cook OK. How can you mess up ham, collards, and B-eyed peas?

Don't pay any attention to us old guys pick at each other. Fred has these rapid Fire shoots 'cause he has to stay away from my bolt rifles. I understand.

Dinky Dao

Quote from: wildman on December 28, 2007, 02:05:42 PM

I assumed you were an old vet from RVN like me how else wouild you know what dinky dao means.

Old??!!!  Crykies, first ya call me a 'he' and then ya call me old...

LOL!

I happen to be a young'in, as a matter of fact. My riffles are older than I am... and actually, so is some of my ammo...   :P

I was nick named Dinky Dao by the instructors at the Evansville IN Appleseed boot camp last year. Guess they thought I exerted a little 'nam marine type tendancies on the firing line...

...or maybe it was the after hours at camp behavior that got me the name...LOL!  ;D

Either way, the name stuck. Ahhh... boot camp...such fond memories...

I have a neat little lyrical verse that explains the meaning of Dinky Dao as experienced through the eyes (and ears) of the "old vets" who traveled through the villiages fighting against the viet cong (or Victor Charlie as they would put it.) You might enjoy the read, wildman. I've posted it here  http://carlahix3.freespaces.com/

Looking forward to the shoot on Tuesday... got my three man team assembled and ready to go... Oh Yeahhhhh.....bring on the pop ups!

Can't wait!!

Dinky Dao

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Fred

We're gonna have to rein in wildman, who has found the magic key to a big turnout: make it FREE, and have FREE food!

Our usual turnout of 6, or 8, or 12 was booted up to 28 or 29 (there were so many, I lost count).

Being of limited range capacity, we quickly decided to allow shooting on popups only for those with a chance of hitting them.

So up goes a Redcoat target, and people were told they had to show good shooting, or go down to Range 2 for some marksmanship refreshing.

But I get ahead of myself, as wildman was serving out the vittles - pork (prob steamed, in true military style, beans [ditto], and the special of the day, collard greens cooked to a perfection - haven't smelled THAT smell since we used to file down to the basement cafeteria in grammar school, puking our heads off at the stench!) - yep, people lined up, a few with mess tins, a few with canteen cups ("just pile it in, it all winds up in the same place, anyhow!"), but the old softie had paper plates for those without either.

I heard absolutely NO complaints about the food, so despite the above comments from a dedicated "collard greens hater", it must have been good - a few even came back for seconds, proving there are survivalists - real ones! Thanks, wildman, for making it what they call "an exciting and interesting culinary experience"!

OK, back to the event, where we fired the Redcoat target and sent 7 down to the other range for refresher training.

The marksmanship performance was so high because, this being the traditional NYD shoot, most people took advantage of the relaxed rules and shot prone using a rest (or - shudder! - bipod).

Which they regretted as the first event - 20 rds in 60 seconds - was fired STANDING - at 100, 200, and 300 yards, on the full-distance AQT targets.

To help them recover, after we fired it twice, we repeated it, from prone, and had some good scores turned in - one guy maxed it!

Then doing it over again, but this time in three-man teams - and the hit count at 300, after working over the 1 and 200 with the required ten hits per team, was 18, 18, and 29 (IIRC). Pretty decent shooting, in 60 seconds.

Then it was pop-up time - first the speed shoot at 200/300, then teams shooting against 2/3/400 popups, followed by the "advance downrange" against the popups.

Somewhere in there was a speed shoot on the 400 and 500 yard popups, but it's a bit of blur, 24 hrs later...

If you stuck around til the end, you saw one of our Ohio visitors fire a couple of practice rifle grenades - man, do those things reach altitude! He accurately dropped them on the 200 yard berm.

And, in deep dusk, a "mad-minute" of tracers, with SoM, after a hard day down on Range 2, pumping out - did he really say five clips on his M1? I believe he did!

A pretty nice day, in the fifties, temp-wise, but getting pretty nippy toward the end.

Got a chance to meet Muddog for the first time, and Dinky Dau from Ohio, so the day was not a complete waste! ;D (Right, didn't get to fire ONE shot all day!)

Muddogg

Good times!

My sisters really enjoyed the shoot, and said that they would like to come again when we had the chance. I had a blast myself, despite my horrible accuracy(if you wanna call it that! ;)).  I also need to get faster at reloading for those mad minute drills, 8 rounds goes fast!

Thanks for hosting this Wildman, and it was great to meet you as well Fred and the rest of you in attendance! (I was the scruffy looking fellow in a blue workshirt and a dark brown beanie, if I didn't introduce myself to you.)
-The Muddogg

wildman

Your certainly welcome Mud we were glad you could come and Oh yes we know who you are.  :)

preparedfamily

Hello All--here are some pics from the New Years shoot. Sorry it has taken me so long to get them posted (life, taxes...you know...).
We all had fun, even little Lizzie RWVA Jr.(see her learning to cover her ears). Enjoy and hope to see all of you soon.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

wildman

Wow thanks I wasn't even aware you had pics. Next time we will have to work getting a better picture of me. 8)