News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Working for Patriots Day!

Started by BaldDragn, March 28, 2010, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldDragn

Today was a good day!

For the first time in a month I wasn't traveling to, working at, or returning from an Appleseed(ish) event, so it was a good time to go out and meet the owners or workers at as many of the Ione, Elk Grove, Sacramento, Rancho Cordova gun shops as I could canvas, and drop off stuffed SWAT fliers and Scout's awesome tri-folds.

Starting in Ione - Rich, Bob and Tim at the "Rendezvous - Primitive Arms" got to hear about Appleseed while they gave me instruction on shooting my new bow.

I moved on to Elk Grove and talked to Bob (a different Bob) at Wild Bill's. I've met Bob on the range several times but this had been my first visit to his shop. The owner had heard about Appleseed from a friend of hers, Anne, who was one of those great students, lucky for me, the kind you never forget. Business is good at Wild Bill's and they have had to expand their shop to make room for more black rifles. Take that California!

Off to the Sacramento Gun Exchange. They weren't as interested in the Appleseed message as most of the gun shops I go to, but two doors down from them was Universal Security Academy (they train security guards), they thought Appleseed was AWESOME and they were happy to display the SWAT fliers for us.

Next was Broadway Bait and Guns, I don't remember the guys names but they were a pleasure to talk to. I'm sure if they can ever get a weekend off we will see them at the range, until then they were happy to tell their customers about our service.

I took a detour and stopped at Tower Cigars while I was in the area, I deserved a good smoke for all the hard work, and what do you know, half a dozen guys setting around talking about guns!!! I lit up an Air Bender (good smoke) and spent some time chewing the fat with staff and customers, more SWAT fliers on the counter!

Up highway 50 and two stops in Rancho, Action Guns (great name), and Rancho Cordova Guns & Ammo. I was well received at both and they were happy to display the fliers for me.

The last stop was at Rancho Cordova Shooting Center. Unfortunately they can't host an event like ours (everything but shotguns must be shot from a bench) but the store was happy to let me put some fliers up on their board. Then I noticed the CA Hunters Safety course was wrapping up so I stuck around to chat with the instructor, and once I explained how we were not in competition with the NRA he was happy to hear about Appleseed's mission. Once I told him about the American Heritage he was so enthused he asked me to be the guest speaker at one of the next Sacramento Sons on the American Revolution meetings. It turns out he was the previous presidents and in charge of guest speakers. I love it when a plan comes together!

By then it was after 17:00, so I wrapped it up and headed for home on the range. There are still a few stores around Sacramento that need our attention so if any of our members have couch dents that need to be removed I have a short list of places you could visit.

Sonoma Guns
Guns & Stuff
Just Guns (I guess they don't bother with the "stuff")
Sac Black Rifle (sounds like my kind of place)
Badger Johns (Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger)

I also couldn't find Paull Firearms in Rancho, and Tactical Firearms in Elk Grove was so "Tactical" they completely evaded me.

So chime in my fellow 'seeders and let us know what you are up to so we can cover more ground.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

featherblue

BaldDragn,

Great work for one day! There are a couple gun shops around these parts that don't get it also. But there are also two brand new gun shops that do, get it.

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

Antibubba

Dang!  Keeping busy.

QuoteOff to the Sacramento Gun Exchange. They weren't as interested in the Appleseed message as most of the gun shops I go to, but two doors down from them was Universal Security Academy (they train security guards), they thought Appleseed was AWESOME and they were happy to display the SWAT fliers for us.

I'm not surprised by the reception you got there (also known as River City Guns); if they don't sell it or make money on it, it isn't important.  They may have a shop in Sacramento, but it's a stretch to call them part of the local gun "community".

Quotehe last stop was at Rancho Cordova Shooting Center. Unfortunately they can't host an event like ours (everything but shotguns must be shot from a bench) but the store was happy to let me put some fliers up on their board.

I hope they stay up.  I've left stuff there before and seen it disappear within a few hours (and not because shooters were taking them).

The folks at Wild Bill's are great, and over time they've become my favorite store to purchase from.  They are always busy, so I'm not alone in that.  At Action Guns, I've never been able to leave info before--they wanted me to bring in a holder for the fliers.  The tri-fold is probably what made the difference.  And I've been putting up fliers at RC Gun & Ammo since last year, so they've become very familiar with AS.  One of these days I expect one of the younger guys to attend.

QuoteBy then it was after 17:00, so I wrapped it up and headed for home on the range. There are still a few stores around Sacramento that need our attention so if any of our members have couch dents that need to be removed I have a short list of places you could visit.

Sonoma Guns
Guns & Stuff
Just Guns (I guess they don't bother with the "stuff")
Sac Black Rifle (sounds like my kind of place)
Badger Johns (Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger)

I also couldn't find Paull Firearms in Rancho, and Tactical Firearms in Elk Grove was so "Tactical" they completely evaded me.

I've never been able to find Sonoma Guns, either, and it may be an expired listing.  Just Guns is a nice family store, and I'll take them a stack of tri-folds tomorrow.  Sacramento Black Rifle always has a booth at the gun shows, but I don't think they have a storefront yet. I think Tactical Firearms is the same way.  Badger John's simply disappeared in February--I don't know if a new store will open or not.  Paull Firearms is Randall Paull, a gunsmith (no store) in the process of retiring due to poor eyesight.  Really nice guy, but his workshop isn't open unless you knock.

There is also a store up in Loomis--TDS Guns, I think--and I'll drop off tri-folds there as well.  But with all the places you went that should be everyone in Sacramento.  But there's a few stores to the east of you, in Jackson and San Andreas, that you might want to hit.   ;)
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

Jules

I have been hitting any business that has a bulliten board for Non Profits to post fliers. This includes Starbucks. (although they use magnets not thumb tacks, fyi) I hit the feed stores, local coffee shops, and even asked the local Post Office. Yes, the Post Office will let Non Profit's post fliers. I just go in and ask. I have nothing to lose by asking. And no one has told me no..............yet.

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Antibubba

Well, the guy at Just Guns has heard of us and happily took a stack of tri-folds, along with a copy of The Blue Press and SWAT articles for himself.  TDS (Tactical Defense Survival) is no longer in Loomis, but in a shiny new store in Rocklin.  They were also happy to take a stack.  That takes care of Sacramento County.  :)

QuoteI have been hitting any business that has a bulliten board for Non Profits to post fliers. This includes Starbucks. (although they use magnets not thumb tacks, fyi) I hit the feed stores, local coffee shops, and even asked the local Post Office. Yes, the Post Office will let Non Profit's post fliers. I just go in and ask. I have nothing to lose by asking. And no one has told me no..............yet.

Thank you for that!  I have boards to hit.  And it gives me the giggles thinking of putting one at The Co-op!   **)
Hey, BD, were you able to post at The Gun Room, across from Wild Bills?
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

Antibubba

Jules, Did my black notepad turn up?

Jules

Quote from: Antibubba on March 31, 2010, 01:50:36 AM
Jules, Did my black notepad turn up?

Sorry, no. It must have gone with our 4 Ruger mags, that have disappeared also.
My apologies. It was so busy, and the table sooooooo full.

Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Antibubba

BaldDragn

BTT

What are we doing to make April a success?

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

BaldDragn

Another good day yesterday,

We got out to the range early (a storm was coming in, so it was move it or loose it) and got the new M4 sighted in.

Suddenly the line started filling up with shooters and Jules noticed a group of ladies on the public pistol range, just to our right, enjoying what was obviously a new experience for many of them, and started 7th stepping right away. As they came over to the public rifle range to take further instruction form the father of one of the ladies they settled in right next to us.

We had the M4 all sighted in by then and invited them to take a few turns on it while we talked to the others about some free training ;). I'm sure a few will show up next weekend.

By then it was turning nasty with wind and rain but shooters kept showing up. Fortunately for me the range was short staffed, thinking it was going to be a slow day and I took the opportunity to RSO the line and chat with the shooters, help solve any problems I could, and hand out as many SWAT fliers as possible. Lot's of good contacts were made, it turned out that most of the shooters were there because they had new guns, or new scopes on new guns, that they just couldn't wait to shoot. Lots of easy to fix sight in problems, and a prime group for 7th stepping.

As the weather got even worse and everybody filtered out, it was just me and Jack and his son John. John had been to a couple Appleseeds and Jack had been to one last month, and they were both determined to get the rifles ready so they could bring home Rifleman Patches next weekend.

We were chatting about their new Ruger SR-22s and Jack mentioned how he had difficulty with the sling, so we got out a sling and started doing a little training. Well it turned out that his right hand is very stiff and could not operate Rugers stock bolt release and with the hasty sling on he could not quickly bring his left hand over to get it done either.

Note to self... just because someone laid out a lot of money for Rugers top of the line version of the 10-22 does not mean they had a good bolt release installed.

Once I got over my supprise, I invited them to stop by the house on the way out, and we all got some training on how to pull the SR-22 apart to get at the stock 10-22 receiver hidden inside, so I could pull the bolt release out of each rifle and file it out properly to upgrade it to an auto release.

It was nice to have a couple happy 'Seeders over for and afternoon chat and tinkering with the tools of our trade.

For those that may run into a new SR-22 and want to open it up, any optics on the top rail will have to be removed and the 4 screw under the picitinny rail (all Torx screws) will need to be pulled to get the top cover off. Two hex head screws will need to be pulled from the lower front of the receiver (they are very near the barrel mount screws) to remove the free float tube, and the standard "stock mount" screw removed just to get hidden 10-22 barreled action out of the very cool AR style covers.

So what are the rest of us doing to fill out the line this coming weekend?

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

Headed to Sacramento area last night, and met up with some high school gals I have not seen in ages. We had dinner and got all caught up. And then I gave my elevator speech, each got a trifold, and I will continue to "encourage" them, until they show up!

Also checking in for Virtual Muster Night III

Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt

polygunner

Hi Baldragn and Jules.
I have 6 shooters coming this weekend(Nukechaser will also take credit for 2 of them). I've also handed out a few Appleseed flyers at the range but don't know if the people will attend this weekend.
Looking forward to it, should be a great weekend.
polygunner

Plain_Patriot

I saw tri-fold brochures at TDS in Rocklin.  They are a good outfit with a lot of veterans employed.  http://www.tdsguns.com/

nukechaser

Checking in and listening to the online radio show (for the first time)

See ya Saturday!
Dude, have you ever even read the Constitution? Yeah, didn't think so... Read it and you'll see why I'm pissed off!