News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gun Show Report from Jacksonville

Started by caseyblane, March 27, 2010, 10:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyblane

theri and myself worked the Cliffhangars gun show today in Jacksonville. I stopped keeping track after awhile but I estimate we talked to and put between 50 - 75 event flyers/brochures/swat reprints in to individuals/families hands that were actually interested in the program (maybe more if you count folks we just handed them to as they slowed down beside the table). It was great to meet theri, another NE FL appleseeder. We had a good time talking and 7th stepping together.

What I learned:
*We need a banner.
*The Garand and CMP catalogs were essential to drawing folks to the table and then them asking about the little .22 beside it launched into AS.
*I got better at talking about the program in 15 to 30 second blocks.
*More SWAT reprints and brochures.
*Get "grassroots, all volunteer" out there early, people were a lot more interested in talking to you after they learned you weren't trying to "sell" them something.
*If a laptop isn't an option bring a photo book or something.
*We were best positioned to get people on their way out of the show. I think this is better than being on the way in.
*Adapt your AS pitch to whomever you are talking (1st time shooter, grizzly vet, etc).
* theri's wire cutters we used as a paperweight was appreciated by everyone who wanted to cut the zip ties out of their receivers as they left the show!

I think I got a tiny taste of the joy you guys experience out on the AS trail by talking to people about AS and receiving their positive feedback/encouragement. My progeny  ::) and I thank you all for the money, sweat, and time away from home you spend out there.

I'll be further monitoring the other state forums and looking for advice as to how to be more effective at gun shows. We've got a few more coming up and I'd like to do it again depending on what's on the schedule to promote.

"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

theri

It was areal pleasure working at the Cliffhanger's gun show with Casey on Saturday.  Unfortunately I got extremely sick on Sunday and am just now getting back to normal.

One of the amazing things that I saw was several people stopped at our table to cut the ties off their firearm and that gave us the chance to present the Appleseed program to someone who would not have stopped otherwise.  Hopefully some of these people who stopped will take the next step and attend an Appleseed (if not in April then in the near future.)  We even had some people who were interested in Appleseeds in different parts of the country (probably military reservists that were on temporary duty in Jacksonville).

I found it much easier to talk to people as the day went on and I got more experienced at it and expect to be even better the next time I work at a gun show. 
Whiskey Tango 9

PHenry

Casey,
I did a gun show booth in Tampa with a few others some time back and we do have a banner that we can get to you. I also placed pics all over the banner stand and brung a M1A, an AR, and a LTR - all displayed for attention gitters.

ItsanSKS and I can definitely help you in any future attempts to run another booth. Just let us know well in advance if possible and we will see to it that you git what you need, from advice to printed materials, etc.

Once again sir, my faded red hat is off to you for your efforts.

PH

PS. I hope that you feel better soon theri
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata