News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Stinson, April 17-18, SB Needed

Started by Gordon, March 24, 2010, 10:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Hey Machine & other Stinson-oriented folk:

What are your thoughts on finding a shoot boss for the April 19 event? I don't remember who are the Red Hats in your state, but I know that most of your usual "go-to's" are already booked elsewhere.

If you need help from National, I'm sure they stand ready. Lemme know if I can help.

F.M. for "Instructor Scheduling"

Spanner

Well, FuzzyMath, I'd kinda planned on you coming down and doing the honors.  You know the drill.  We don't bite.  Can you work it into your schedule?

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

The Machine

FM, our only WV SB--Spanner--is working the new location in Beckley. We will need an outside resource for Stinson. There are people coming to Stinson, but no one has signed up yet, so that makes it hard to justify sending someone in from another state. This isn't my first rodeo dealing with a situation like this; half our shoots last year came down to the wire when it came to locating a SB. I tell people all the time to please register ASAP for this very reason, but they don't understand how our "system" works in situations like this, so they wait until the last minute or show up as a walk-on.  :wall:

The best I can tell you is to have a SB on standby from the "pool", and continue to monitor the situation.  :-\

"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Gordon

Quote from: The Machine on March 24, 2010, 11:29:38 AM
... We will need an outside resource for Stinson. ... have a SB on standby from the "pool", and continue to monitor the situation.
Ha. You actually think there's a "standby pool"? :)

Quote from: The Machine on March 24, 2010, 11:29:38 AM
There are people [shooters] coming to Stinson, but no one has signed up yet, so that makes it hard to justify sending someone in from another state. This isn't my first rodeo dealing with a situation like this; half our shoots last year came down to the wire when it came to locating a SB. I tell people all the time to please register ASAP for this very reason, but they don't understand how our "system" works in situations like this, so they wait until the last minute or show up as a walk-on.
Well, thanks for doing your best to get them to use EventBrite. But besides that, in reality, what sort of numbers do you expect?

Gordon

Quote from: Spanner on March 24, 2010, 11:28:49 AM

Well, FuzzyMath, I'd kinda planned on you coming down and doing the honors.  You know the drill.  We don't bite.  Can you work it into your schedule?

I'd be willing. But seeing as how I don't have the red hat yet, that'd amount to something of an "extenuating circumstance". Besides, my own plans for that weekend involve a rather large shoot, where I'm hoping to both be of assistance and to gain some more training for my IPC.

MeanStreaker

Hey Machine, just a friendly reminder that could help keep Appleseed out of a ton of legal trouble...

By our Insurance, a Red Hat needs to be in charge of a firing line at all times.  That means that if there is a location that has two lines or two bays or something, a RH needs to be in charge of each for the duration of the event.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

The Machine

QuoteWell, thanks for doing your best to get them to use EventBrite. But besides that, in reality, what sort of numbers do you expect?
From preliminary discussions face-to-face and via phone, it could potentially be 6-10. I'm still going through my contact list and sending invites, so who knows what may come from that endeavor. It's the best I can tell you for now my friend.
QuoteHa. You actually think there's a "standby pool"?  :)
So you mean the "floater/standby pool" that I've heard about is nothing but fiction?  Doesn't surprise me; most things are.  ^-^
QuoteBy our Insurance, a Red Hat needs to be in charge of a firing line at all times.
Thanks for that reminder MS, I remember the memo about it somewhere in the way-back machine.  :)

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

Spanner

Quote from: MeanStreaker on March 24, 2010, 01:06:05 PM
Hey Machine, just a friendly reminder that could help keep Appleseed out of a ton of legal trouble...

By our Insurance, a Red Hat needs to be in charge of a firing line at all times.  That means that if there is a location that has two lines or two bays or something, a RH needs to be in charge of each for the duration of the event.

Actually, I was the one who was yanking FM's chain, not The Machine.  It was meant in an impish way, not a criminal way.  >:D

MeanStreaker

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

The Machine

QuoteOops, my bad.  :)
Not really bad; what you stated is the "official" AS policy anyhow, regardless if it was mentioned in response to a joke. It's another incentive to get our IITs bumped up to RH.  :)

FM, since my eventbrite account is not showing 2010 events, I can't get real-time updates, but there should be registrations coming online soon. I've been working the phones and emailing today, prodding folks to get it in gear.  ~~:)

I can tell you this time last year didn't have many online pre-regs; the day of the event we had 25 shooters on the firing line. I'm pushing for the same or better this go around.

Gordon

Quote from: Spanner on March 24, 2010, 01:29:34 PM

Actually, I was the one who was yanking FM's chain, not The Machine.  It was meant in an impish way, not a criminal way.  >:D

OK, consider my chain yanked. Now get back to work! ;)

vanrichten

Quote from: The Machine on March 24, 2010, 01:59:06 PM
It's another incentive to get our IITs bumped up to RH.  :)

Hey man, I just qualified to BE an IIT last weekend. I can only work so quickly!   ^:)^ I have signed up to be an IIT for the Beckley shoot and have downloaded the material.  Hopefully I can work on some of the stuff and move closer to being a RH!   :P
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Vanrichten, keep your shirt on man. You're on the right track, and highly motivated it seems. ;)  No need to get excited unless these  ~~:)  &) start popping up.  :)

Chrome

A little birdie told me there were a couple of pre-regs.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Spanner

Quote from: Chrome on March 28, 2010, 09:24:54 AM
A little birdie told me there were a couple of pre-regs.

The numbers will climb for both of the WV April shoots.  Seven of us WV instructors were at a WVCDL dinner in Charleston last night, as well as some movers-and-shakers from Beckly.  It was a good meeting.  Some of the guys are down in Beckly right this moment, doing more and more...

Chrome

I hope it does.  I'm still trying to bring a couple more.  It will most likely be only one I'm able to snag, but that's better than none.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

willorith

I am committed to Gainesville FL for April 17/18. However, I have ties ti WV and would be happy to SB events there in the future. Do you have a range in the Elkins area? Perhaps I can help conjure one up.
We are but human.

vanrichten

We only have 2 in WV so far.  Stinson and Beckley.  I know that an additional one in Elkins would be most welcome!
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

Chrome

Quote from: willorith on March 29, 2010, 02:12:12 PM
I'm working on stretching my .30-30 out there. Appleseed makes people think funny. 500 yd .30-30?

Don't mortar's work the same way?

On a serious note, an additional range in Elkins would be fantastic.  I'd prefer to get one close to Morgantown as well, but Elkins would be a very nice location and would help fill the "hole" on Spanner's map.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

The Machine

QuoteThe numbers will climb for both of the WV April shoots.  Seven of us WV instructors were at a WVCDL dinner in Charleston last night, as well as some movers-and-shakers from Beckly.  It was a good meeting.  Some of the guys are down in Beckly right this moment, doing more and more...
This was a very productive weekend for WV Appleseed in many ways, beginning with the WVCDL dinner that Spanner drove many hours to attend--thanks man.  O0  Not only did we make some good connections with the WVCDL members in attendance; several casual diners who weren't part of our group left the premises with AS promo material.  ;)

QuoteIt will most likely be only one I'm able to snag, but that's better than none.
Think in terms of AS math--exponential--which means that "one" individual who you bring along, will translate into many more at a future date. One more on the "firing line of freedom"; one more to advance the principles of liberty; one more to offer a voice for the founding generation; one more who chose to rise from the comfort of the couch to perpetuate American tradition. I think you get the idea...good job!  8)

QuoteThe Machine, Falcon and I traveled to Beckley yesterday, and had a darned productive presence at the hosting club's board meeting.
This was the 2nd leg of our weekend AS promo tour, and what a pleasure to meet and put faces with names previously seen only in emails and other electronic formats. The Beckley Gun Club officers and members seemed to have a good fundamental understanding of AS, and were very cordial and accommodating. Thanks again to siglite for facilitating this new opportunity. I see a lot of potential for Beckley in the near future.  :)

QuoteThere is *much* wind to read at Beckley.  Often from multiple directions and at multiple speeds all at once.
I'll second that!  ;D I forgot how much colder Beckley is, compared to the WV "tropics", this time of year. We were treated to a nice dose of 20-30 mph wind; rain; rain to sleet; sleet to rain...I WILL dress for the weather next time!  !@#)

QuoteThat sounds rather daunting.  Will be a good place to learn!
Our WV Appleseeders will really dig that 500 yard section when completed. We already were talking about plans for a future RBC at this location. You'll see what I mean when you're out there in April. 

The Machine

03/31/10 Pre-reg Update:

Stinson - 7  :(

Beckley - 3  &)

Obviously, we still have a lot of work to do on promotions!

Spanner

Update:

I have been moved (my request) to Stinson (from Beckly) for the April 17-18 shoot.

Beckly does not have an SB yet, as far as I know.

When an SB is found for Beckly, please keep this in mind: we need to make sure that we make bulkhead's job as painless as possible.  One shoot box will probably come to my home (intended for Beckly, as far as bulkhead knows, because that's what was on the list he was working with).  So let's be sure to keep bulkhead in the loop if there is to be a second shoot box for the two WV events.

Now, let's balance some books.  We are asking for a red had to come to WV to run Beckly.  So we would be importing an instructor.

So far, we are exporting one IIT3 (brickhouse) to Allemans, PA. 

Look at the Instructor schedule.  Look at Hawkhavn's pre-regs page.  My personal preference would be for any IITs in the northern part of the state is to consider expanding your horizons and working a shoot in PA. 

It would be real good if one (northern) IIT would go to Chambersburg, PA.  The drive is about as short from Morgantown to Chambersburg as it is to Stinson, and you would get to work with Big H and tatical308, which is an experience I highly recommend.  Also, Manheim, PA is sold out, and it is likely that some overflow will wind up at Chambersburg.  It is a wonderful place to have an AS, and it is in a strategic location as well.  Let's make a splash there.  Here is a link to the AAR of the last shoot.

And, just to make myself clear: I'd rather have any IIT that is considering working at Stinson to instead (and depending on who you are and what you need to do PC-wise be flexible and what the pre-regs look like and this parenthetical statement is an abomination) find some place in PA and meet some really interesting Appleseeders who, obviously, won't be me.

Chrome: I have something for you.  PM me.

bulkhead

Spanner,
I can send The Machine a shoot box for Stinson and the Beckly shoot box can go to a BOTG if you can ID who that would be. 

Thanks for keeping me in mind.

bulkhead
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

The Machine

Quote from: bulkhead on April 06, 2010, 12:00:51 PM
Spanner,
I can send The Machine a shoot box for Stinson and the Beckly shoot box can go to a BOTG if you can ID who that would be. 

bulkhead
Bulkhead, will the shoot box be in addition to the box with the "goodies" that Western Rose is handling? They are supposed to be sending one of those to our DAR and one to Spanner, but the contents of the box wasn't fully described, as far as I can figure.

My suggestion on the Beckley situation would be to use "siglite" as a drop-ship point. I say this, because if no RH Instructor emerges to run that location, siglite will probably be heading to Stinson. Should that occur, the shoot box can be stored at the DAR in inventory for future use. We would be covered both ways, as far as the shoot box goes.

Are you confused yet?  ;D

siglite

Quote from: The Machine on April 06, 2010, 01:24:36 PM
Quote from: bulkhead on April 06, 2010, 12:00:51 PM
Spanner,

bulkhead
Bulkhead, will the shoot box be in addition to the box with the "goodies" that Western Rose is handling? They are supposed to be sending one of those to our DAR and one to Spanner, but the contents of the box wasn't fully described, as far as I can figure.

My suggestion on the Beckley situation would be to use "siglite" as a drop-ship point. I say this, because if no RH Instructor emerges to run that location, siglite will probably be heading to Stinson. Should that occur, the shoot box can be stored at the DAR in inventory for future use. We would be covered both ways, as far as the shoot box goes.

Are you confused yet?  ;D

Can anyone see what the registration numbers for Beckley look like? 
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

Spanner

Quote from: siglite on April 06, 2010, 03:48:20 PM
Can anyone see what the registration numbers for Beckley look like? 

Yes.  And you can too. 

But not just anyone.

Oh.  Not helpful enough?  Appleseed Pre-Registration Numbers.

Still the same as posted above (=3), until updated, usually Tuesday nights.

vanrichten

If we do not get a SB to Beckley I will be heading to Stinson as well, either as an IIT or to shoot again!   :---  If I end up being an IIT then I will have my 10/22 LTR for someone, but it is scoped thanks to my eyes   :o

The Machine

04/06/10 Pre-reg Update:

Stinson - 7  >:(

Beckley - 4  >:(

Well the good news--I use that loosely--is Beckley picked up another person. Overall, this is my feeling on how Patriot's Day weekend is shaping up in WV this year:  !@#) Any ideas on how to get my blood hydraulic pressure down?

siglite

I don't know what it is about West Virginia and pre-registration.  Lots of folks seem to prefer to walk-on.  I bet we have some walk-ons in Beckley.
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

The Machine

Well, we can add another Sat. shooter to Stinson, bringing the total at that location to 12. This fella has been "fence sitting" for a while; now he has made his move...can we get a RI in our program to do the same, as a SB for WV? It's down to the wire, and I really don't want to use that filthy word--CANCELLATION!  :wb: HELP!  :sos: