News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who's going to Davilla for the April Appleseed?

Started by vic303, March 23, 2010, 12:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic303

I'm in!  Who else?  Who will be the IIT's and SB?  I'll be camping and hoping to see some friends from my first Appleseed last year.

--Vic

spitstickler

I'm planning on it. It'll be good to meet you Vic!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

doubleLL

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

vic303

Looking forward to meeting y'all too.  Trying to decide what to bring this time besides the 10/22's.  I am tempted to bring the Finn..

voortrekker

I will be there too!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

reliable

vic303

Quote from: reliable on March 24, 2010, 08:02:09 AM
Andrew & I will be there.  Reliable
Sweet!  Are ya cookin' scrambled eggs & sausage for breakfast, Larry?  :bow:  Those sure were good last June!

--Vic

DSIL78

I am heading that way, and bringing a few friends too.   O0

didactic

I'll be there, intend to arrive early Friday afternoon to start range setup.

Voortrekker, when do you expect to get there?  Dallasites?
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

waffenmacht

I (Bruce Camp) will be there as will my buddy Vargo who was with me in March.
"For those who fight for it, Freedom has a special flavor the protected will never know"

spitstickler

Four more days! Looks like it's going to be a great event.

Anyone that hasn't been to Appleseed (or a Davilla Appleseed) feel free to post questions here.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

vic303

Boy howdy, yesterday I thought I was gonna have to miss the shoot this weekend!  I was sick as a dog!  But I am feeling much improved today, so unless things go bad again, before Friday, I should be there.  Still eyeballing the forecast though...

didactic

Latest forecast, highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's, 30% chance of showers both days.   8)

Lots more pleasant than Corpus Christi was on 20 March!    ;)

See y'all there.

rethelochief

goin' sunday only; Cub Scouts saturday. 3rd times a charm for that 210!!!

spitstickler

Texas Rifleman

I attended Davilla last May and again in June. I signed up for IIT and never got back down there. I am trying to decide if I need to start over and sign up to shoot again this weekend (to kind of get the feel for the program again) OR it looks like 53 people are signed up. Do they need instructors more - no matter how green. If ya'll need me as IIT do I have to sign up somewhere for that ?
Let me know.
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Texas Rifleman on April 13, 2010, 11:49:42 PM
I attended Davilla last May and again in June. I signed up for IIT and never got back down there. I am trying to decide if I need to start over and sign up to shoot again this weekend (to kind of get the feel for the program again) OR it looks like 53 people are signed up. Do they need instructors more - no matter how green. If ya'll need me as IIT do I have to sign up somewhere for that ?
Let me know.

Did you make Rifleman at either of those shoots?

While I won't be at Davilla for this one, 53 shooters on the line is a handful. The more instructors available to clear the line - the more shooting that will occur with the daylight available.

Send a pm to voortrekker - he's shoot boss this weekend at Davilla.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Aromatic

starfox

Quote from: Texas Rifleman on April 13, 2010, 11:49:42 PM
Let me know.

My wife (doubleLL) and I will be there this weekend, and we're coming from DFW as well.  So is spitstickler.  We can always use more instructors, especially with the line we will be having. 

Only downside is we'll be missing Cowboy Action at ASC, but small sacrifice to make for a historic weekend!

Hope to see you there Texas Rifleman!  I know we can use you for sure!
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

vic303

A question for folks who are tired of campstove cooking...is there any place in Davilla or Rogers worth eating at?  I know we're not that far from Elgin & BBQ, but not sure I want to drive that distance after a long day...I skimped a bit on food last AS, and not sure I want to do that again!

Aromatic

didactic

There are several places in Taylor, a smidge closer than Temple.  Maybe not 4-star dining, but several notches above convenience-store pizza or sandwiches.  I'll also scope out what's in Bartlet and Granger, on my way through on Friday.

vic303

Cameron maybe?  Looks a bit closer than Taylor and almost as big??

Texas Rifleman

To me camping/cooking out is half the fun of an Appleseed. That is if it's not sleeting sideways or something.
Don't ya'll like that roomy shower as well. Gets you all clean after a day of laying in the dirt like an old hound dog ;)
Davilla - 5/09

didactic

There's no arguing taste about food preferences, so I won't even try.  I think Cameron is a little closer than Taylor, but I just don't know much about it.  Route from my place to Davilla takes me past the Wal-Mart and a big HEB grocery store in Taylor, so one of those is usually my last stop enroute to Scout's place.

There are several sit-down restaurants and a couple of motels in that same neighborhood on the north side of Taylor, and at least one old-style BBQ place in the older, central part of Taylor.

vic303

Sadly it looks like I may have to miss this weekend's event.  :'(  I was sick Monday, felt like this  $$-0.  Last night no sleep, and all sorts of multicolored crud coming up out of the chest & sinuses.  Doc today said "Well, it's not QUITE pneumonia..." and promptly gave me a couple shots & two oral 'scrips.  I may feel ok tomorrow, or not...if I don't attend I may be able to send my husband down instead, since he has a 4 day weekend.  Just don't know at this point.  I am miffed to be sick in mid April, and disappointed to probably miss the BIG Appleseed this weekend.  Wish me luck!

doubleLL

Just a note- There will be a BBQ lunch served on Saturday.  ;D 

The shoot boss will be setting up Friday afternoon, and I am sure he will need help. We are expecting about 50+ shooters. Starfox and I will be getting in late due to work. We will see everyone Saturday morning.  O0

doubleLL
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Aromatic

QuotedoubleLL

Just saw the new status, congrats doubleLL.  It sounds like you are going to have a good shoot this weekend.  The Texas line will be long this weekend  :---

Texas Rifleman

I should be down there by 5:00 Friday. Planning to set up camp and help out wherever needed. Starfox and DoubleLL I met at our gun club so looking forward to seeing you guys again and all the other friends I made last year. Larry and Andrew our my camping partners.
Davilla - 5/09

spitstickler

It looks like we might have a little precipitation at some point over the weekend. If anyone is wondering, pretty much no matter what the weather does, we will be shooting with smiles on our faces. (exception would be lightning where we would take a break until it passed) Just be prepared. Bring a poncho/rain gear. And as crazy as it may sound, bring the sunscreen too, you never really know what the weather may end up doing.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Davilla this weekend!