News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The AZ Highpower Thread

Started by NEWGUY556, March 22, 2010, 01:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEWGUY556

Thought I would start a new thread since I hijacked the Virtual muster thread with Highpower talk as well as some others.
Redhawk- Here is a link http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/223ammo.html it should give you a good starting point for your handloads. Not sure what the rate of twist on your barrel can handle, but it looks to me like all the AR shooters are using 77 grain pills.
I am a broke cheapskate so I use wooden matches to black my sights, I do it the night before kinda ritualistic thing.
I am not sure when the next match is, I know one has been planned at Buckeye Hills for April or May. Rio has one once a month It is listed as a Vintage C&R but they let pretty much anything in. I talked to a Guy who is the Match director at the Prescott Valley Sportsmans club and they run a 100 yrd version of the match we just did, I am thinking about doing that when it gets hot in the valley.
I will post any match dates I find out, or anything that I think maybe helpful on this thread.
I had talked two of my teamates into the Appleseed this weekend and my sister. All three backed out yesterday, my sales pitch must be no good. So I will show up by myself again Saturday. If you need some help with setup let me know what time to show up and I will be there.
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

AZRedhawk44

Happy to have some help, newguy.  We tend to show up at Buckeye about 7:30 and we have a bunch of target backers to set up on the line, staple up the first round of targets, wrestle range furniture out of the way if needed... stuff like that.

Ordered a .050 front sight for my rifle.

Did some experimentation out in the desert today at 200 yards.  Found that I get less vertical stringing with a handload recipe I have that only requires moderate meticulousness, than the Fiocchi 62gr FMJ retail I was running today.

LC brass, mixed year headstamps
WLR primer
Trim to 1.745
25.8gr IMR4895
55gr Midway bulk FMJ bullet
~2.230 OAL (the bulk bullets have inconsistent ogives)

I think it's just a more consistent crimp and powder metering than they get at the factory, resulting in better velocity consistency.  They hit about 3.5 minutes lower at 200 yards.  Horizontal variance might be a skosh better... I think that's mostly me and my gigantic 0.099 wide front sight (0.070 width square, but it is in a "diamond" orientation when the front sight detent is engaged, making it (sqrt(0.070^2 + 0.070^2), or about 0.099).  I ordered a new 0.050 front sight, so I hope that helps.

Also did another experiment... used some RORG cases with the same prep, OAL and recipe.  Impact was 3MOA higher, and I noticed the case volume was slightly less since the powder level was a bit higher over-all.  Nato circle-cross cases, but definitely shooting differently by a healthy margin.  Groups went to heck, too, perhaps due to the higher pressure from the same powder charge in the thicker-walled case.  

Dreaming of a front sight only half the size of my current one...sigh.  Who's the wise-acre who decided it was a good idea to cut the 0.070 front sight diagonally on the front sight disc so it was closer to 0.100 width?  Sheesh.

ETA:  Newguy, you might want to modify the thread title to say "The AZ Highpower Thread" so it doesn't get folks confused from other regions.

NEWGUY556

ETA:  Newguy, you might want to modify the thread title to say "The AZ Highpower Thread" so it doesn't get folks confused from other regions.

Good point, and done.
Good luck with the sight post, you need to post an update after you try it out.
Sounds like you have extensive knowledge of handloading and tuning a recipe to suit you rifle. So after I get a new reloading set up I can bug you.

Also did another experiment... used some RORG cases with the same prep, OAL and recipe.  Impact was 3MOA higher, and I noticed the case volume was slightly less since the powder level was a bit higher over-all.  Nato circle-cross cases, but definitely shooting differently by a healthy margin.  Groups went to heck, too, perhaps due to the higher pressure from the same powder charge in the thicker-walled case.
I have read that Millsurp brass is thicker therefore you have less case volume which raises the pressure. So you would want to back the powder charge down to get the similar results you had with commercial brass. So your experiment is correct based on what I have read.

I will be there a little before 7:30 or atleast try. I will even bring my own staple gun. I am registering now.

RWVA, Rifleman

AZRedhawk44

Quote from: NEWGUY556 on March 22, 2010, 07:29:19 PM

Good point, and done.
Good luck with the sight post, you need to post an update after you try it out.
Sounds like you have extensive knowledge of handloading and tuning a recipe to suit you rifle. So after I get a new reloading set up I can bug you.

Also did another experiment... used some RORG cases with the same prep, OAL and recipe.  Impact was 3MOA higher, and I noticed the case volume was slightly less since the powder level was a bit higher over-all.  Nato circle-cross cases, but definitely shooting differently by a healthy margin.  Groups went to heck, too, perhaps due to the higher pressure from the same powder charge in the thicker-walled case.
I have read that Millsurp brass is thicker therefore you have less case volume which raises the pressure. So you would want to back the powder charge down to get the similar results you had with commercial brass. So your experiment is correct based on what I have read.

I will be there a little before 7:30 or atleast try. I will even bring my own staple gun. I am registering now.

Milsurp brass is thicker, true... but the RORG milsurp is thicker than the LC milsurp.  Royal Ordnance Factory Radway Green... RORG.  Lake City... LC.  I would think the US and UK would in particular try to adhere to similar standards with brass thickness and velocity.  Everyone sings praises of Radway Green stuff.  Oh, well.

7:30 is the earliest you should show up.  The range is locked right up until 7:30, so you'll just be waiting by the side of the highway otherwise. 

You're welcome to bug me regarding reloading.  I have a better than average reloading setup, and I've been reloading for about 8 years now.  Always happy to pay it forward and teach new folks how to reload.

I blackened my front sight and did some dry fire practice today with it like that.  Very nice.  I've known about the trick, but never actually tried it.  Much less reflection/glare with it.  Greater contrast against the target.  Looking forward to a tiny 0.050 front sight and blackening it.

NEWGUY556

Registered now.
Thanks for the heads up on the gate. I dont want to wait off the highway so 7:30 it is.
RWVA, Rifleman

MLS Hack

A bit off subject, but i couldn't start a new thread. Does anyone know of anywhere in AZ to safely shoot a 50 BMG? We've called all the ranges, everyone we know with land in the desert, the base wont let us use Barry Goldwater range. anyone got a friend or heard of any private places/people that shoot 50 here? :wb: hoping someone "knows a guy" haha

AZOpie

One of my buddies mentioned there is one range he knows of, but he's in Florence this weekend shooting. I will send him an e-mail and get back to you...

AZOpie

Quote from: MLS Hack on April 22, 2010, 07:09:47 PM
A bit off subject, but i couldn't start a new thread. Does anyone know of anywhere in AZ to safely shoot a 50 BMG? We've called all the ranges, everyone we know with land in the desert, the base wont let us use Barry Goldwater range. anyone got a friend or heard of any private places/people that shoot 50 here? :wb: hoping someone "knows a guy" haha

Just got a response back - he says Usery allows .50, 25m to 300m.

www.riosaladosportsmans.com

Cheers!

MLS Hack

sweet thanks for the help, i havent even heard of that range! i need to get out more i suppose  :sos:

AZRedhawk44

Rio allows .50BMG to be shot, but not at their target backers/frames, nor at their steel targets.

You basically have to pick a clump of dirt, aim at it, and shoot.  Not very satisfying to most .50 shooters.  Saw one guy with a suppressed .50 a few years ago shooting out there.  He seemed kinda bummed about the restrictions.

.50 BMG pretty much implies you're gonna go out in the desert to amuse yourself.  Or, shoot in the handful of matches that come up from time to time.

AZOpie

Here's Usery's flyer on 50's.

AZRedhawk44

OK, AZ Instructors:

It's the summer.  It's hot.  There's not a lot of Appleseeding going on right now.  Everyone is hugging their A/C unit until September or October.  I get it.

But, we've got a pretty aggressive fall schedule in front of us, with several Actual Distance events.  Kingman in July, Sierra Vista in September, Kingman in October, Kingman in November, Sierra Vista in December.  That's just the Actual Distance events on the calendar.  Buckeye and Payson events still allow us to get out to 200 yards, too.

As such... we've got to work on getting back into the groove.  If you haven't been to the range in a while... get on it.  Take some squares and get to it.  Get yourself comfortable in prone again.  Tear the center out of that square.  Don't just be satisfied with 5/5 hits somewhere in the black... get one ragged hole centered in that square.  We're not just Riflemen... we're instructors in this program.

Also... stretch your rifle's legs.  Remember, we're being called upon to be able to teach people to shoot out to 500 yards, at 5 remaining events this year (not counting the non-AD ranges).  Find somewhere to apply your Appleseed knowledge and hone it so you have confidence in it again.  If you've got a chunk of 1/2 mile desert, use it.  Get out on some High Power shoots, otherwise.

Also, I've only got myself and AZOpie signed up for the Kingman event in July.  Lots of room there to hone your instructor skills and learn to teach an Actual Distance event!  Send a PM to Instructor Scheduling to get your name on the roster!

Persist!

KC/AZR