News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Yanceyville, March 20/21

Started by bulkhead, March 21, 2010, 07:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulkhead

Our only sign-up for this shoot must have rescheduled or decided on another location.  Fortunately, Matt, a friend from work decided he would be able to come for Saturday so we rode together.  He meets me at the house, we drive into the range and there is a walk-on (CATT) to make a total of 2 shooters.  Matt was new to shooting a rifle, CATT has attended other Appleseeds at Toccoa and Kingsport even helped with the history.  Our initial Redcoat showed that we had potential with one clearing the 200, the other clearing the 300, and one headshot. 

Matt took to the instructions like the engineer he is in an attempt to catch CATT with his experience.  After a bunch of squares and CAQTs we hung the first QDAQT's with a result of 197 and 198.  Pretty impressive, huh.  CATT shot a 201 later, but no Rifleman the first day.

On Sunday it was just CATT and me.  During the first day I noticed  that CATT did well with the squares but kept opening up his 400 yard AQT groups.  So, I brought a 597 Remington Tech Rifle with a scope and low and behold he shoots a 211 on the first AQT of the day.  Congratulation to CATT for this hard won accomplishment. 

Not only did he take the first step to Rifleman, he accepted the Orange hat.  CATT is from Tennessee but will always be welcome to NC. 

We spent the rest of the day at the 100 yd range firing a collection of rifles including 22LR, 223, 308, and 30-06 which just went to prove that 4 MOA at 25 meters is still 4MOA at 100 yards. 

Matt will be back for his Rifleman patch.  CATT will be back as an IIT.

Just one complaint, NO MUD.  I'm not totally convinced that mud isn't the norm for Yanceyville.

CATT took photos that I hope will be posted soon.

bulkhead
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

CATT

Well  I just got in from Yanceyville,long drive with lots of weather on the way.I would like to thank and applaud Bulkhead on his masterful job as shotboss this weekend.Matt the other appleseeder did well with the instuctions given to him and was well on his way to "rifleman",next time for sure, I'm sure of that.That I was able to shoot a rifleman score is testimony to the criteria set up such as shooting squares,learning npoa,sling use and instructors willing to take the time to identify and correct errors that they see.Thanks again to you Bulkhead for the loan of the rifle and a wonderful weekend appleseeding.Pics to follow soon as I figure that out.
CATT out....

CATT

Hey y'all reading this, I forgot to mention the way cool gun club we shot at this past weekend.3rd degree tactical is just outstanding,spacious cabins that are available,showers,and great people who own/run it.If you can and you should make the next AS, you will not be disappointed.
Catt out