News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

March 16th Virtual Muster Night II: Second Strike!

Started by The Machine, March 15, 2010, 10:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Machine

As a follow up to the first "virtual muster" back in Feb ( http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11695.0 ), we will be discussing specific goals/needs and answering questions relating to the WV Appleseed program in 2010. There are 2 specific topics that I am seeking input on: 1) low turnout shoots 2) lack of any shoot locations in northern WV. How do we address these problems?

I hope all our WV volunteers and friends will join in for the Muster, starting at 8 pm EST.  :)
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

The Machine

OK, the Muster has "officially" started and I see 1 WV member online.  :'(
I'll be hanging out on standby if anyone wants to chime in.

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

vanrichten

I am there, just waiting for my info to be able to truly log into the chat.  :)
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Here's something we can talk about; signing up for WV shoots on the Instructor Schedule. I know some of you may not know until the 11th hour if you can instruct at a shoot or not, but waiting until the last minute really throws a lot of responsibility on others. Please look at the schedule regularly and get listed ASAP:

Mar 20-21     Stinson, WV     Spanner/SB  Mountaineer(IIT), brickhouse (IIT3), wvmmfalcon (IIT2)

Apr 17-18     Beckley, WV     Spanner/SB  wvmmfalcon (IIT2)

Apr 17-18     Stinson, WV     /SB  brickhouse (IIT3), The Machine (IIT3)

May  29-31    Stinson (3-day), WV     Spanner/SB  The Machine (IIT3)

June 26-27    Stinson, WV     /SB  The Machine (IIT3)

Sep 25-26     Stinson, WV     /SB

Oct 30-31     Stinson, WV     /SB   

Nov 20-21     Stinson, WV     /SB 

Dec 11-12     Stinson, WV     /SB

The Machine

Quote from: vanrichten on March 16, 2010, 09:09:19 PM
I am there, just waiting for my info to be able to truly log into the chat.  :)
Good to see you vanrichten! I'm assuming you are talking about BlogTalk?

vanrichten

Well, this weekend will be my second shoot.  I would love to be an IIT, but I need a refresher on what the requirements are.  I know they are on here somewhere, just have not found them again.  

Yep, about blogtalk.  I am logged in now and am listening to the radio show currently.
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

That post about instructor scheduling wasn't targeted at you, It just happened to get posted after yours.  ;)

Check this link on our board to get a general overview: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6161.0

My laptop is taking fits, so my response time in answering questions is s...l...o...w  >:(

I'm still trying to get logged into the radio show chat...

vanrichten

Well, after this weekend I will have my 2 shoots done.  Who knows how long it will take me to get that damn patch however :(

I would love to be an IIT though, so hopefully we can talk about it this weekend!

I would also be more than willing/able to post on other forums when we are doing shoots.  ARFcom, WVCDL, even Facebook for that matter.

The Machine

QuoteI would love to be an IIT though, so hopefully we can talk about it this weekend!
We will do just that. Don't get too hung up on the patch. It's one small component in the overall scheme of the Cause. You can touch the hearts and minds of just as many folks wearing an Orange hat as an IIT. That's what this mission is truly about anyhow...the patch will come.

QuoteI would also be more than willing/able to post on other forums when we are doing shoots.  ARFcom, WVCDL, even Facebook for that matter.
Music to my ears! I was actually looking for someone to at least work the arfcom forum on a regular basis. I know you're a regular on arfcom and WVCDL, but do you have the links to our facebook groups/pages?

vanrichten

I do not have the links to the facebook pages.  I am also going to be working some of the gunshows for the WVCDL so maybe we can work with Keith and see if we can do a dual purpose.

I am all about teaching firearms.  I just aced the Basic Pistol NRA course to be able to teach that requirement for CCW.  Want to get my RSO certification as well as Basic Rifle.  So I would love to be able to do the IIT and help teach more people!

The Machine

Here's some fb links to get you started:

'Project Appleseed' - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20965705969

'Appleseed' - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38658978118 (Group)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Appleseed/109597865750?ref=sgm (Page)

'Appleseed rifleman' - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25789601015

'Revolutionary War Veterans Association' - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5345984315 (Group)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Revolutionary-War-Veterans-Association/77891439435?ref=sgm (Page)

Look at the 'WV Gun Shows' thread on our board ( http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8502.0 ) and you'll see all that info in one place. Keith has been donating a table for us when the WVCDL is doing a show, so that has worked out nice. We have volunteers who belong to both groups.

vanrichten

Just posted in the gun show thread :)  Became a fan on facebook as well.  We will get the word out there!   ..:..

The Machine

Quote from: vanrichten on March 16, 2010, 10:36:12 PM
Just posted in the gun show thread :)  Became a fan on facebook as well.  We will get the word out there!   ..:..
Great! And thanks!  O0

I guess it's just you and I tonight on the WV boards, but we have made PROGRESS. Now if I can stop cussing at this blasted computer that keeps crashing... &)

vanrichten

Progess is always good :)  We will get things moving.  Obviously the Appleseed is taking off in WV as we have 2 new ranges this year! 

As for computers, they are ALWAYS a pain in the rear end.   ~~:)

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

The Machine

Hello to you too SS.  :)  I'm finally starting to get back in the "groove"...

SavageShootr

Good to hear it Frank. Don't overdo it though. We need you.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

The Machine

Off topic, but I just remembered something...you're a computer guru vanrichten!  O0
Maybe you can give me some ideas of what could be wrong with this HP laptop. It's a Pavillion tx 1320 and there have been "issues" with them which HP doesn't want to address or fix. I can explain further this weekend or via email.

SS, they call me 'The Machine' for a reason...I don't quit until the job is done!  ;D  This particular mission isn't completed, so I guess I'll be sticking around for awhile.

Chrome

Sorry for the late showing up, but I got off work late again.  Just like that last Virtual Muster Night.  So what's new in the world of AS?

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

The Machine

QuoteSorry for the late showing up, but I got off work late again.
You DID show up, and that is what really matters.  O0

QuoteSo what's new in the world of AS?
Chrome...our newest member!  ;D

Seriously, what is really putting the brakes on our WV program is these low turnout shoots. I've been dealing with it since last year--which means forever in WV--and I personally think it's attributed to lackadaisical promo efforts. We have identified WHAT works--word of mouth--but getting enough folks to implement it consistently seems to be lacking. I don't know...maybe I'm off base...I don't think so.

If we don't get good attendance at our events, then the number of folks willing to step up and instruct, or volunteer in some capacity, is extremely limited. Therefore, progress is slowed to a snails pace and that's unacceptable for me personally. Look at some of the states that have really taken off recently. The common denominator is the large volume of students who are going through Appleseeds--no brainer. Now granted, we don't have the population base in WV as some of the "super states", but we should use that as a motivator to work harder. When you live in a state that has one metropolitan center with a population larger than the entire state of WV, life is good.  ;D

Chrome, I believe you know vanrichten from the arfcom, and perhaps, the WVCDL forums? Vanrichten is going to work these forums on a regular basis, so perhaps you can tag-team with him and get the word out. I'm always open for promo ideas, so please speak up if you get a "brain storm".

The Machine

Well, I hereby announce this Muster a "wrap". Thanks to vanrichten and Chrome for making the call of the Muster drum. Spanner was predisposed with some other tasks...I don't know what happened to everyone else.  ???

Please read over the posts in this tread and see what you can do to make WV AS grow. This is a team effort and a handful of us can't carry the entire load, unfortunately. I still have a goal set to have an AS in every WV county by the end of 2012. It's the least we can do for the sad state of affairs that our state and nation faces right now. The men in Lexington and Concord would have jumped at the opportunity; instead they stuck their heads in a noose so we WOULD have this opportunity. Let's not waste it!  O0