News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

November RBC, Davilla

Started by didactic, November 05, 2007, 07:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didactic

Started off with several hundred bangs!  Sixteen shooters on the line yesterday, a couple more are supposed to start today.

The people are really first-rate.  Weather is also great, chow is good, but I've got monor rifle troubles and my back and elbows hurt.

More to tell, but I've got much to do before the muster drum sounds.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Wade

Best time I have had in years.
I met new friends, no more like Brothers and Sisters  food was very good  showers where good (better then alot of truck stops I've been to).
In case your wondering I traveled 2690 mile's to get here , I made time to do this and it was well worth it , Im not a Rifleman YET I went from my first AQT of 91 to 209, speed is up also.

If I have time in the morning I will try just 1 more AQT.

The list to say thank you to is Long ,
But a special Thank you to Scout who worked above and beyond the call.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

booray

I had a great time, thanks Scout for hosting and all of the other volunteers that made it possible.  I plan on bringing more people next time  ;)

TwoGlock

Quote from: Wade on November 11, 2007, 11:24:26 PM
Best time I have had in years.
I met new friends, no more like Brothers and Sisters  food was very good  showers where good (better then alot of truck stops I've been to).
In case your wondering I traveled 2690 mile's to get here , I made time to do this and it was well worth it , Im not a Rifleman YET I went from my first AQT of 91 to 209, speed is up also.

If I have time in the morning I will try just 1 more AQT.

The list to say thank you to is Long ,
But a special Thank you to Scout who worked above and beyond the call.

Wade

Wow, 2690 miles.  You are talking about "round trip miles", aren't you?

TwoGlock
After All Is Said and Done
  More Is Said than Done

VAshooter

Wade not only drove 2690 miles one way but he brought the KD range firing line with him. He's a Garand guy.

VAshooter

Scout

Here are some more pictures of the event. The shooting platform for the boot camp KD was provided by Wade. He is a good man and will make a good instructor.

The Appleseed line was a long, long line and it took some time to get the commands echoed down the line, but the new guys did a great job.

There was a group of 11 Adventure Scouts that showed up with a mixed bag of .22 rifles that they had been purchased the day before from pawn shops and they had not seen them before, let alone fired them, (or any rifle in most cases). The rifles were just what you would have expected from pawn shops, used hard in some cases and dirty and fouled from long firing and no cleaning.

JB and I spent a good bit of time doing repairs and working on their rifles and they said "Thank you Sir" and grabbed them and got back on the line when he had them up and running again. No grumbling or whinning about the rifles, just smiles when they did work as they were supposed to (kind of) and hit paper. 

They didn't skip a beat. They took them and fired them and the ones who had trouble guns figured out a fast way to handle the jams and miss fires and feed problems etc. By the end of the first day, the tube fed folks had figured out how to speed load their tubes so that they had them loaded in the time between "Your prep period has ended" and "with ten rounds load". The sights were broken on many and others were stove piping almost every round and yet they made almost every round on every course of fire.

Watching them the second day going through the positons and courses of fire, given a good rifle and another day, I think there would have been many riflemen made from this bunch.

And all of this with "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" to every question or command. I was VERY impressed. 

With no rain for a month the ground was dry and dusty and folks got to find out what happens to their rifle when you dump a box of fine grit dust into the action.

Dry and windy, one fellow had a tracer round in his surplus ammp and it started a fire  which caused all the boot campers to do the stomp dance on the berm. The visit I had by the Federal Authorities was by our Game Warden. He had reports of a "war" going on in East Davilla and came down to see what the facts were and I talked with him for a while.

He was very nice and polite and said while he was 100% behind our right to gather and practice markmanship, but that I was no longer on any of my surrounding neighbors "Christmas Card List". I had previously alerted all the local and county authorities but had missed him.

JB and DragonWood run a super tight ship. All was thought out and planned for and it ran extremely smooth. VA SHooter and Doug and Dan all were there to make the job of running a boot camp a great experience.

The Guy showed up on Monday fresh from Georgia and made the history lessons come alive. We had the BC folks doing the history also so they will have it down now, at least the speaking in front of people part, and be able to find out more of the details if April 19, 1775 on their own.

I included some pictures of "Big D" and his shooting gear. As Chris Knox reported, Appleseed is not a gear race, and this guy and his buddy exemplified this. Their gear consisted of their rifles, a five gallon bucket filled with ammo and mags, a gallon jug of water, and they put down their jackets as shooting mats. Simplicity.

Now I am doing the tear down and clean up and trying to catch up on baling hay. This is the worst thing about RBC and Appleseed, the day after it ends. You want it to go on forever. (or at least another week)  ;)

I guess the only thing I can do is call up the people who left their phone numbers and have anther one next month . :D

Thanks to all who came and helped and shot and all who will be coming back. I will see you all again soon on "the trail".

I will post some more pics later.
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Grin Reaper

"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Hard to believe 10 years have passed since RBC Davilla 11/07.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

scuzzy

Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on November 13, 2017, 03:15:04 PM

Man where did all the time go to?

I'd did my first Appleseed, an RBC, there at Davilla in 02/09.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: scuzzy on November 13, 2017, 03:40:03 PM
Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on November 13, 2017, 03:15:04 PM

Man where did all the time go to?

I'd did my first Appleseed, an RBC, there at Davilla in 02/09.

I 'member.  :)

The image 100_0881.jpg in Scout's post shows me instructing - that was my first time. I was a little more presentable back then.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

VAshooter

I flew all the way from Virginia for RBC Davilla  11/07. A very good week for everyone but Scout who had to build a firing line over night when a bunch of shooters showed up for the Appleseed and we didn't have room for them.  God Bess you Scout.