News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kentucky state of the state and goals for 2010

Started by Mudcat, February 27, 2010, 05:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

Well let me start by introducing myself, even though I worked with most of you at some point last year. My name is Greg Harris I live just north of Owensboro, KY. in Indiana. Kentucky did not have a state coordinator and since I worked several shoots in the state last year and am fairly close to the river I thought I would lend a hand to my friends to the south.

I will start with last year. The shoots and numbers of shooters are listed below.

Knob Creek                                      4 shoots
Carrolton                                         3 shoots
Harlan                                             1 shoot
Greensburg                                      1 shoot
                                         total of 9 shoots for 2009

Knob Creek, KY - March 14-15              -39                  35 shooter capacity
Greensburg, KY March 29-29                -17                     failed to find info on this location or shoot
Knob Creek, KY - April 25-26                -16                   35 shooter capacity
Carrollton, KY May 16-17                     -28                   35 shooter capacity
Harlan, KY - May 23-24                         -8                   25 shooter capacity
Carrollton, KY - Aug 1-2                        -9                   35 shooter capacity
Knob Creek, KY - Sept 12-13               -15/35               35 shooter capacity
Knob Creek, KY - Oct 24-25                 -29/35               35 shooter capacity
Carrolton, KY - Oct 31 -  Nov 1            -17/300              35 shooter capacity
                                           total of 178                  270 total shooter capacity  for 66% capacity

Number of IITs  recruited that I know of were 2.

IIT recruiting really needs to be improved upon so we can grow our instructor crew and staff shoots with in state instructors. This will be one of my main goals this year!

This year so far we have the following shoot dates.

Crittenden KY. LLoyds wildlife management area                                  1 date                25 shooter capacity       25 slots to fill
April 10-11 2010
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11990.0;topicseen

West Point, KY. Knob Creek Gun Range                                               4 dates               30 shooter capacity     120 slots to fill
April 17-18, June 26-27, September 11-12, October 23-24
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11855.0

Boaz, KY. Kentucky Regulators Gun Club                                              3 dates              80 shooter capacity      240 slots to fill
May 22-23, July 24-25, October 23-24
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11783.0

Carrolton, KY. Three Rivers Shooting Sports                                         4 dates               35  shooter capacity     140 slots to fill
April 17-18, June 19-20, August 7-8, October 23-24
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11395.0

Mt. Vernon, KY private property Blackberry farm  added Aug 31, 2010        1 date               30 shooter capacity        30 slots to fill
Nov 5-6/ 2010
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16504.0

Ashland, KY. North Eastern Kentucky Fish and Game.    www.nekfg.com   Added Oct 9 2010  20 shooters
Dec 11-12   2010
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17498.0;topicseen

Cynthiana, KY. Hughes Firearms  Added Sept 27, 2010                                                      15 shooters
Dec. 4-5  2010
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17195.0

Right now we have 555 slots to fill on the line here in KY. I hope to add at least 2 new ranges this year I have already been in contact with one near me and hopefully we can come away with some dates yet this year. Crittenden, KY. Only has 1 date this year I believe after that first shoot there April 10-11 we can get a few more dates this year. My goal for this year is to have 800 slots to fill this year and fill 80% of those slots. I believe this to be a very obtainable goal.

Now Instructors we have to staff these events are.

State Coordinator - Mudcat
Promotions Boss - open, need help! We need help with this position from any members that would like to help and promote a shoot in their area. This can be as little as hanging fliers and bringing friends with you to a shoot.
Instructor Corps - Mudcat (SB), brdholman (SB), dond (MI), kyjam (I), Believer (MI) , XDman (IIT) and Riflegirl (IIT) GarandFan IIT, dad4boys IIT, Trainer 8119 IIT, son of liberty IIT, KI4URW IIT, Shootslikeagirl (IIT), DRdug (IIT), Theinfamousjay (IIT)  positions available

Notice that we only have 2 IITs from last year Brdholman should become a red hat soon as should KYjam. Riflegirl and XDman  are part of the Kentucky program as well since they are my kids. XDman is working on his history and will be a red hat soon as well. We have to be bringing new IITs into the program if we want to grow. First off we need to be able to staff the shoots that we currently have and staff any future shoots as well. If we are going to grow the program we have to add more shoots. Second if we have more IITs out there we have more people to promote Appleseed. To take the word back to their home range so we can have more ranges and more shoots. To tell their friends and bring them to an Appleseed shoot so they can then tell their family and friends and bring them into the program as well. The more we have out there talking about Appleseed the better the chance we have to fill those slots on the lines. The most successful advertising we have is WORD OF MOUTH! So the more mouths we have spreading the Appleseed word the more success we will have filling the lines and finding more ranges.

So this is where we stand right now the goals I have set are:
1. 2 additional ranges added.
2. At least 4 dates for every range this year.
3. Add at least 275 slots on the line for 2010.
4. Fill the lines and come away with an 80% capacity at the end of the year.
5. Recruit 10 new IITs within the KY.  program.
6. Hold an IBC by years end.

How will re reach these goals you may ask. That is easy we all have to get involved. Involved with setting up shoots, setting up a table at gun shows, talking about Appleseed, contacting scout troops, home school groups, 4 H clubs, churches, your range and anyone else we can think of. We need some people that are active on state wide or local shooting or hunting web sites to help us get the word out about our program. This has worked very well in Indiana. Do you know of any?
We need to recruit more IITs! We need a good boots on the ground person for each shoot location. We need a good KY state promotions boss, any ideas? We can all be promotions boss in our own area. How about you do you have any ideas? Let's hear them it may be THE idea that really opens the door.

I think this will be an exciting year for Appleseed and Kentucky. But right now is when we should be talking about what to do, how to do it and doing the things that will grow the program come spring and summer. Let's not just take what others have done  for us and be satisfied with that. Let's make our own way here in KY and grow our program to meet or surpass our neighbors. Just don't read this post and go on about your way.

If anyone needs any promotional supplies I should be getting some soon (you did get my PM right Fred?)  I will get them to you. If you have a range that you think may be suitable for Appleseed and don't know how to approach them or don't want to let me know. Need anything else or have comments or suggestion just let me know, that is one of the reasons why I am here.

Mudcat
Greg Harris
812 431 4087
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

ky_dave

Hope to attend the KC training next month.  As for new ranges, have you thought about the Barren River Rod and Gun Club?

thanks,
dave

Mudcat

Quote from: ky_dave on March 17, 2010, 04:54:34 PM
Hope to attend the KC training next month.  As for new ranges, have you thought about the Barren River Rod and Gun Club?

thanks,
dave

Have not heard of Barren River Rod and Gun Club, are you a member? I will be the Shoot Boss at Knob Creek and I am looking forward to talking with you.

Mudcat
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Mudcat

We had our first shoot of the year last weekend April 10-11, the AAR may be found here http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12962.0. This was a very successful shoot as we had 23 shooters saturday and 17 sunday we made 2 riflemen on saturday and 6 on sunday. We also picked up 2 very much needed IITs. dad4boys and jeep45238 even though jeep25238 is from Ohio he has said he will help in KY also. aakelly has also stated that he would like to join the ranks of the IITs and help some with promotions. This will be a very big help and we all appreciate you very much. You have taken the first step in becoming an Appleseed instructor we will be there with you all for the rest of the walk.  Be sure to bring others to the shoots you are working as that is our most effective form of advertising.
Just ask if you need anything or have questions.

We have a big big weekend this weekend with shoots at Knob Creek and Carrolton. We have TheEditor come from IL. to SB the Carrolton shoot and he is bringing Templar223 to help too. We owe them a debt of gratitude for stepping up to help us out.  :bow:
--George Washington

Mudcat

April 17-18 2010 weekend was a good weekend for us. We had 2 shoots in the state and made 4 Riflemen and several Patriots. We also made some important BOTG contacts with Kevin and Clark who has offered to help us out in the Louisville area. We also gave away a Rifle compliments of Knob Creek Range and a stock and other stuff from Christie and Christie. Thank you to both of you guys for just donating this stuff out of the blue. Jacob won it and it was his second Appleseed, he picked it up Friday and hopefully we will have a pic to share soon.

We gained 2 IITs Trainer8119 who is from Louisville and Sindy my wife who has yet to decide on a screen name. Both will be a very much needed asset to the Ky program. Trainer has already been doing some 7th stepping by bringing a friend Chris to the KCR shoot who also scored Rifleman on sunday. Now we need to stay active and continue to spread the Appleseed word we have another shoot coming up in Boaz the western part of the state May 22-23 this will be a first shoot for this location we have an 80 shooter capacity at this range. That is a lot of spaces to fill. So if you know anyone or have relatives in that area be sure to tell them about the shoot and get them there. We also have 2 more shoots in June with Carrolton June 19-20 and Knob creek June 26-27. These are 2 months away and we should be able to fill both of these lines with the new contacts we have. but be sure to bring whoever you can and tell everyone you know, lets fill these lines up early. Whoever brings the most shooters to the June KCR shoot I will have a special prize for them.

Also shoots that may be of interest are the all ladies shoot in Cloverdale IN. on may 22-23 this will be all ladies shooters and instructors no guys allowed. So you gals be sure to find a shooting partner either experienced or someone who has never shot in their life and bring them to the ladies shoot. We also have the September 11-12 patriots day 300 shoot in IL. This shoot is capped at 300 shooters and is a record breaking attempt at the number of shooters on the line. The shoot will be held in Waterman, IL at the Aurora Sportsmans Club. So if you want to be part of history and attend the largest Appleseed shoot in the country be sure to make this event.

I want to welcome our new IITs to the forum, if you have any questions or need any materials be sure to let me know. I will get them to you.

Mudcat
--George Washington