News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Southern Nevada

Started by TrebleShooter, February 21, 2010, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrebleShooter

We're under the 60 day mark until the Boulder City April 17-18 shoot, and we have ZERO registered.
I'm passing out flyers.
I try for at least one a day. 
I've even left them under windshield wipers of cars with bumper stickers that led me to believe they might have our same ideals.

What else are we doing to have an awesome April shoot with new faces? ???

desertrat144

I'll get the date on the NV PVA site. 

Could you send me any other dates for S. NV?

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

LayloPro

Hey TS,

Just a thought...I know BC had a pretty good turnout when we were hitting the home schooler bunch with our program.....
While I do not recall right off who were the primary contacts there in the Vegas area, the articles & blogs from Mas Ayoob in Backwoods Magazine should help immensely on that end....plus the Moms & kids coming out made for a lot of fun on the line........ O0

Also, we have a friendly DJ out there on KOMP that shot with us early last year....she had a blast, and could probably do another TSA for us on air, if she were approached nicely.....I'll dig up the info here.... ;)

Give me a shout, and let me know what you find....I haven't been hearing much about the HS'rs lately.....

TTYS
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

jacques

Try putting some out at a few of the gunshops in your area. Also, if you are aware of any gun shows in the vicinity, that is a perfect opportunity to pass out a lot of flyers.

Oh, I find one of the best places is to hang up some flyers at your local Range. Go to the range several times. Talk to the people that are there.

Shoot a bit, and when more people show up, talk to them also.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

desertrat144

I'll mod this reply with the Cross Roads Gun Show flyer.  They cover Utah, AZ, NV CA. I'm working on the copy now.
Tom

I've just added the Crossroads of the West schedule.  

The Venture Crews are limited by age to the type of rifle used.  You might suggest as an alternative, showing up as a Crew, but no BSA Official attire in the event of Administrative _______.
Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

TrebleShooter

I know my dad hit up all the shops in town right before the February shoot, but it wouldn't hurt to do it again.  One of the owner's sons came out to check it out.  He didn't shoot with us, but he stuck around and asked some questions. I'm also planning to get more info on Boulder City's Venture Crew, as they're a shooting crew, and whether or not they can do it as a troop activity is up to them in my opinion, nothing stops interested people in coming out as individuals. I know that there is a gun show in town the week before the April shoot. 
Thanks for all your input guys!

desertrat144

Hello again.  What are the dates and locations for S. NV Appleseeds?  PM me withe info, and I'll get it on the NV PVA website.

Tom

Xeyed

Here are the dates that I have seen

April 17 - 18, May 15 - 16,
October 16 - 17, and December 18 - 19

all at
Boulder City Rifle and Pistol Club

Boulder City, NV
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

chiller

I am signed up and I am curious based on the first response am I in a group of 1?

LayloPro

am I in a group of 1?

Hey Chiller,
1st, welcome to the forum! It's a working site, so don't be worried about volunteering for anything you can do....we all pitch in together here...

On Boulder City, they are currently showing 16 pre-regs so far, so I would expect at least 20 or so to be there......You  folks are gonna have some really good instructors working with you out there this weekend, so be prepared to gain as much insight as you can...... @@) ..:..

Have a good one, and enjoy!! This is gonna be fun!! :) O0

LayloPro

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

featherblue

If LayloPro is at the shoot . . . it's guaranteed to be fun.  ;D

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

chiller

I have read through what I can on this forum and other sites.  Can you give recomendations?  I am curious what percentage of people shoot "rifleman" on their first appleseed?  Any and all links or information are appreciated.  I assume the majority of the work will be done with the .22LR?  Should I bring anything else?

LayloPro

Heh!! FB, you're trying to give me a reputation, or something here..... ::) :)) ++)

After all, if it isn't fun, why on Earth would we want to be doing it?? %) ++)

Sadness, I will be dealing with double lines @ Corona, home of Cali's Happy Cows......"Poo generators", in Jr Birdman speak...... ^:)^ **)

But, end of next month, we are gonna be having a good time......NoNeva, here we come, outa Utah, of all places..... :sos: @) ++)

Chiller,
In regards to how many shoot RM their first AS, few......it's been done, and done well, but seldom...... :bow:

In reading thru the prep stuff, stretching your body for positions will help greatly, as will a proper pad(s) for prone work.....stay hydrated, and make sure you have an open mind about what the folks are showing you. :cool2:

a 22LR for starters is a great way to get your body (your platform) doing what it should be doing, w/o having to worry about a larger caliber blowing you out of position every shot......which will only frustrate you..... :-\

If you have a larger caliber to use when you begin doing a 4MOA group each & every time, go for it!! It is immensely satisfying to be able to do the same stuff w/ centerfire as you were with rimfire, only at longer distances......but trying to jump ahead of yourself is only going to get you down.....make your platform -work-, before you try the larger stuff..... it's the old "walk before you run" syndrome, only with your money keeping score.....last I checked, ammo keeps costing more.... :o >:(

45+ yrs of doing this in various formats, I thought I was "pretty good"...not the best by any stretch, but certainly adequate to protect & feed my family......had a lot of "knuckle-headed-ness" to work thru internally before I finally "got it"......Now, it has become 2nd sight, and a great internal part of me..... @@) ..:..

Gee, Rifle marksmanship, American Heritage, -and- a self-improvement course, all rolled up into one weekend......only it all gets better, the more you do it!! O0 ;) ..:..

I'll keep an eye on the AAR's, please make sure you post your thoughts and experiences.....we do read them, and they can help us make things better for you the next time....

Have a great time, I think you are gonna have a blast!!
LLP

Xeyed

Chillar,

Here is a good checklist of what to bring. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/pdf/what_to_bring_shoot.pdf

Clean and lube your 22lr. before the event. You will shoot more rounds in the course of an Appleseed than most folks shoot in a year.

A smoothly operating rifle will  make the event  more enjoyable.

Xeyed

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

chiller

How well does a Bolt Rifle work vs. a Auto loader?

Question confirming the COF
Stage 1       10 rounds                                                Standing      Possible score 50
Stage 2      2 rds/mag chg 3 rds then 5 rds                Kneel/Sit      Possible score 50
Stage 3      2 rds/mag chg 1 rds, 3rds then 4 rds                Fast Prone   Possible score 50
Stage 4      2rds/2rds/3rds/3rds                             Slow prone   Possible score 50x2 (100)

210+ to qualify as rifleman?

chiller

On the qualification.  Is it a one time sot on the weekend or is there more than one opportunity?

DesertDog

Quote from: chiller on April 15, 2010, 12:24:22 PM
How well does a Bolt Rifle work vs. a Auto loader?

Question confirming the COF
Stage 1       10 rounds                                                Standing      Possible score 50
Stage 2      2 rds/mag chg 3 rds then 5 rds                Kneel/Sit      Possible score 50
Stage 3      2 rds/mag chg 1 rds, 3rds then 4 rds                Fast Prone   Possible score 50
Stage 4      2rds/2rds/3rds/3rds                             Slow prone   Possible score 50x2 (100)

210+ to qualify as rifleman?

That is correct.  A semi auto is better for Stage 2 & 3 because the time is 55 & 65 seconds, but there have been many 210+ scores shot with bolt actions.  You will have several opportunities to shoot the AQT.

Have fun this weekend.  I'll the the Shoot Boss for the remander of the  Boulder City shoots this year, look forward to meeting you.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

chiller

Each time you shoot the AQT is it to qualify or is it for practice and only "the one" will count?

AZRedhawk44

Chiller, just shoot the 210+ once during the weekend, on any of the grey AQT's presented, and you get the Rifleman credential.

To be eligible to become an instructor, you have to shoot the Rifleman score consistently.

Regarding bolt actions:

It can be done.  It was done by the Army nearly 100 years ago with model 1903 Springfields, to these exact standards.  It certainly speeds up your semi-auto shooting ability if you can run an AQT with a bolt-gun inside the time limit.

I have yet to do it with my Mosin Nagant (only bolt action I own), but I'm working on it.  I can run it with any of my .22's, my AR or M14 though.

ETA:  If you don't "make" it at Boulder City on the 17-18th (or you just enjoy Appleseeding), then come over to Kingman on May 29/30.  I'll be running that shoot, and we'll have a known distance component that event later on Sunday.  Actually get out to 400 or even 500 yards.

chiller

Help me understand what you mean by "instructor"?  Is the to qualify to take additional classes?  If so where are they taught?

Any and all information is appreciated.

chiller

What is the difference between the "Grey" AQT and the AQT "Quick and Dirty" AQT?

Chris_H

Hi Chiller,

I'll be the shoot boss down in Boulder City this weekend. There will be multiple opportunities to shoot a rifleman score over the weekend. We'll shoot at least one AQT on Saturday - more if time permits. (The "Quick and Dirty" AQT is gray in color, as opposed to other AQT target formats which are used with different distances, # of rounds, etc. - each for different purposes.) Sunday we'll be able to shoot it several times.

Look forward to seeing you.

Chris

chiller

Help me understand the qualification to "instructor" ?

After you qualify as "Rifleman" where do you go from there?

V

Quote from: chiller on April 15, 2010, 06:41:11 PM
Help me understand the qualification to "instructor" ?

After you qualify as "Rifleman" where do you go from there?
The world is your oyster.

You can help the organization save the nation as outlined here.

One way to do that is to be come an instructor as outlined here.

But first, have the time of your life by attending an April Appleseed. Enjoy.

desertrat144

You may have some more folks showing up at the Boulder Appleseed.  I let the NV PVA Board of Directors know about it, and they state they are 'shooters'.  This will be interesting.

Tom

chiller

In order on the "grey" target

is there 1 target
           2 Targets
           3 targets
           4 targets
All becoming smaller to represent distance?

chiller

Is there a difference between the one I showed and the "grey" target?

V

Quote from: chiller on April 16, 2010, 01:34:02 AM
Is there a difference between the one I showed and the "grey" target?
no.