News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pecos Texas-The Shoot From Hades!!

Started by Scout, February 09, 2010, 11:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Hey Texans! We have a place in Pecos Texas that would like to have an APpleseed Shoot. But, this place is ina remote location with no water, no showers, no buildings or electricity. Hot as hades, filled with rattlesnakes and scorpions, cactus and  mesquite thorns. This is a dry dusty hot and hard scramble location.

The range is a great range with distance out to 600 and working pits. But, does this sound like a location we can fill? How many Texans would be willing to go to a shoot inn a place like this? We have the Midland location but they are maxed out with the number of shoots they have on the books now and this would be a location in...somewhat...the same area, but without anything but parking and a excellent range with a working pit.

Let me know what you guys think about having Pecos as a location. Several of our instructors have attended the Pecos run and gun this last year and we are putting together a big group of instructors for next years run and gun event. SO let us post here and see if this is a worthwhile location to West Texas Appleseed Locations. 
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Texas Rifleman

Might be able to make it once a year. Would like to shoot on a full distance range.
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

staplegund

This should also be advertised to the southern NM guys too.  I'd be willing; it's about 250 mi. from my place.  About 230 from SamD's and DucDog's.  About 85 from Carlsbad.  About 162 from Roswell (OL's).  About 2,200 from Boston.   **)  600 y and pits?   :--- :--- :--- ^:)^
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

wcmartin1

It's about 15 miles South of Pecos on the way to Coyanosa and it actually has target lines from 800 yards.

We can make it happen if there is enough interest in this location, but as Scout said it's completely primitive except for the range itself.

Who's in?  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

AFTERMATH

Though I'm not a Texan; I may be as crazy as one. ++)
And I'd have to say; me being me; I would shoot it.
In fact; the adversity would only add to its appeal.
If I may offer my humble opinion; I must say as long as it's a safe location, it's a good location.
If you host it, they will come.  And you never know; untill you've tried.

Headline-"Despite rattlesnakes, scorpions, cacti and thorn; Appleseeders honor the day Liberty was born."

But then again, I may have cabin fever... ::)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

POP

I like this combination of emoticons.  Thanks staplegund
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^

From corpus Christi this would be a 12 hour drive for me.  But, I would still do it.  Nothing like rattlesnakes, cactus, and mesquite thorns to toughen the soul.  Oh, and don't forget the scorpions, fleas, and snipes.

But, wait until August ... it should warm up some by then ... Thank you algore.  Seriously, I'm game.  It would be something  different than your normal atypical AS event. 

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

SamD

alonso1

Scout

Is this Smokey and the "Run-n-Gun" guys hosting the shoot?

At the last biathlon they had about 35 people show up in Pecos just to run and shoot...in August!!!

A lot of the shooters were from out of town and drove several hundred miles to get there.  I think it will work.

If Smokey is a part of this effort, great.  If not, let me know and I'll make contact with him.

You can count me in on this.

Pop, you can always ride with me :)

wcmartin1

Alonso1,

John K., the HP match director from Midland, offered this to Scout as another available location for more shoots in West Texas in addition to the two scheduled in Midland this year should the need arise

If we go forward with this, I'm sure Smokey would be there as he and his family attended the first two Appleseeds we had in Midland (February and April, 2009), but he wasn't at the one you helped with last November.

Cheers.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Scout

This si the location that Smokey runsin the Pecos area. This is not the "run and gun" it is the private Pecos range with 800 yard range with pits.
BattleRoadUSA.com

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: alonso1 on February 15, 2010, 10:24:58 AM

You can count me in on this.

No snake will be safe from the wrath of Alonso1...

;)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Texas Rifleman

My vote is too hold the shoot in Pecos in one of the milder months. Say March, April fast forward to Oct. I ain't going to Pecos in the summer....just saying...
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

dirtyrice

For myself that is twice as far as davilla. And davilla is far enough :) . Luckily the land I lease to shoot on every year allows me to shoot out to 400yds. Maybe if enough people are going i'd consider it.

POP

You guys are fun ...  **)

SNAITF said "No snake will be safe from the wrath of Alonso1..."
Best not let Scout see this Pic.   &)  Back at the weekend shoot after Davilla 11-09 it was a different scene.  Saturday night prior to the campfire, dusk, some of the instructors were standing down by the firing line telling lies.   @)   Suddenly, without warning, Scout takes off running towards the dam a 100yds or so away.  A few minutes later Scout comes walking back, calmly, carrying a ~5 foot Rattler.  A young 18 yr old shooter had this bad boy under foot and Scout seemed to be a little concerned about the situation.
The conversation then turned to what to do with this snake.  Says Scout "He [the snake] didn't hurt anyone."  So Scout dropped the snake in a trash can, placed the can in the bed of his truck and took off for the back forty. 
This snake's fangs would have to have been embedded in Scout's buttocks before Scout would consider killing it.  ^:)^

And, Texas Rifleman said "My vote is too hold the shoot in Pecos in one of the milder months. Say March, April."  Thing is, Tex, that wouldn't be near as exciting 'cause that ole Rattler would still be asleep. 

Me, I'm riding with alonso1.  ;D   :--- :--- :--- ^:)^

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Texas Rifleman on February 16, 2010, 10:27:02 PM
My vote is too hold the shoot in Pecos in one of the milder months. Say March, April fast forward to Oct. I ain't going to Pecos in the summer....just saying...

"Yeah man, but its a dry heat!"

alonso1 (cough) coerced me (cough) into participating in the Run and Gun in Pecos last August. It was 105 degrees. It wasn't that bad, but I was on the move the whole time, not prone on "that tough, hard caliche." I enjoyed that experience and hope to repeat it.

Send me a pm with your email address if you'd like a copy of my AAR of that event.  :---

Smokey Briggs in Pecos is a class act. It would be a privilege to work with him again.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Scout

Quote from: POP on February 17, 2010, 02:31:04 AM
This snake's fangs would have to have been embedded in Scout's buttocks before Scout would consider killing it.  ^:)^

Funny man :)  Long before it was cool for folks to be conservationists, farmers and ranchers were committed to just such a lifestyle. We are the guardians and caretakers of the land we hold and despite all the media hype about farmers and ranchers being evil anti conservation animal killers, nothing could be farther from the truth.

We llve on the land and we have a lot of knowledge of our lands and hold a great love for this responsibility. I do not know a single rancher who does not consider the plants and animals existiing on their property before they make any decisions about the way they will do something. What effect it will have on the animals who also live there.

I cut brush all the time and then pile it in places to give shelter to animals needing a place to live. I make sure the water I have control over is taken care of by monitoring run off and keeping steams clear and cattle off of them etc. I plant non commercial crops that benefit deer and migratory fowl and all manner of animals that are here.

Now, if I were camping in a place where I could not relocate a poisonous snake, it would have to be killled. But, I have 900 acres that are not being used by Appleseed so I can relocate some troublemaking species to those lands. We have a large number of coyotes here and I have no grief with them usually, but when the coyotes get too bold and I see them chasiing calves or I lose a calf to them, then I shoot a few of them to help redefine and reestablish our relationship. ;) I work hard making sure they have enough rabbits and rats, so they can leave my cattle alone.

I have been bitten twice by rattlesnakes here and both times the snakes declined to inject venom during the bite, so I figure we must have some kind of an understanding  :)

We will keep everyone advised about the Pecos events and try and get one set up for the fall maybe.
BattleRoadUSA.com

sashok.privetov

'dem rattlesnakes are tasty...

If I could bag one for lunch, i'd go.
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

staplegund

So, what's happening with this location?  With WSMR looming next week, I know I'll want to do some KD shooting myself after RHing and not getting to shoot on the WSMR KD range.  Also: For the benefit of the rest of us who haven't previously heard of the Run n Gun, what is that?  Is there a walk fast n gun for us geezers? **) ++)
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

wcmartin1

Don't look for anything from Pecos until probably this fall as they're drilling a well behind the main berm.

staplegund

Any updates?  How's the well coming along, and what is the projected completion before a shoot can be planned?  :---

Grunt Medic

Reviving a 3 month old thread - the Pecos Run 'n Gun is on, albeit on OCT 15 this year - information posted by alosno here; http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23693.msg183501#msg183501

I got to shoot the event last year and had a GREAT time - I will move Heaven and Earth to attend again this year - now I'm packing an AR that will RING those steel plates with 7.62x39 goodness!

ConradG

im in alpine only 90 miles away i would be interested in this and know a few other people who would also.