News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is this appropriate to post?

Started by Deuce, February 05, 2010, 07:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deuce

Hey guys!

Wasn't sure how to say this...so I'll just say it.

I was walking my dog around the forest (and doing what my wife calls the Fat Man Shuffle as I attempt to run/jog for a few minutes everyday to get in a little better shape) and I was wondering how I could get an Appleseeder to be my neighbor...and this is the only thing I could think of...

If I post a preference on my Craigslist or For Rent ad's in the news paper i could be sued about 15 ways for "discrimination"...and I wouldn't post an illegal preference that would get this forum in trouble either....

So, while I have a house for rent...and I would LOVE to rent to an Appleseeder...I don't really know how to make that happen without hijacking this nice forum.  So, if a for rent ad would be appropriate, you guys will have to let me know, but I'm not gonna post unless you tell me I can....there clearly is no profit motive for posting here as I would take a deep discount for a trustworthy neighbor who values their privacy...

I keep thinking this depression will only deepen...and as Fred says....we must keep bailing...my concern is that if we don't get the bailing done in time...I'd sure like to have a neighbor who i can trust and who can shoot and help watch my families back when I'm not around...

So, let me know guys! 

See you all at the April Cloverdale 'seed.  I've got at least one guy coming...hopefully two....I hope the friends I brought last time will be back as well.

joe

staplegund

You might try listing it as a firearm storage facility with security personnel quarters, in the Deals n Steals section.   **)
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

LayloPro

You might try listing it as a firearm storage facility with security personnel quarters

O0 **) O0

That'd work for me....I don't run the show here, but hey, your heart & mind are in the right place....perhaps hanging some tear off phone #'s @ the next shoot you go to would be a possible....unless you only wanted to rent to a red hat or higher.....
(now -that- could be discriminatin'.....) ..:.. **) @)

I like it.... O0

LLP

Staplegund, I like to see a fella who has "his mind right"....and you fit the bill!! O0 O0 O0
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Fred

Quote from: jlolson on February 05, 2010, 07:36:13 PM
...and I was wondering how I could get an Appleseeder to be my neighbor...and this is the only thing I could think of...

Joe: Why not do it the easy way, and make some Appleseed neighbors?

Don't know how many neighbors you have, but why be happy with ONE Appleseed neighbor, when you can have all your neighbors as Appleseeders?

A litte kinder-and-gentler soft-spoken persistent persuasion - who knows? You could have a bunch of AS neighbors.

Heck, it works for friends, too.

And co-workers.

And family, and relatives.

Even those of you reading this, can do it. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Deuce

Ha, LOL, you guys are hilarious.

Firearms storage facility with personnel quarters...wow, that was priceless!  I'm gonna post that!

Fred, I've been working on my neighbors, but they all have homes and are not in need of my quarters, so to speak.

I've been thinking about this since I went to my first Appleseed....I've been a landlord for at least 15 years, and now I'm down to one property, and its 120 yards from my garage...a perfect distance really.  But, I really just want a great neighbor...and nobody can fit the bill like a patriot!  

I know most of us have our quirks (lol, my wife would snicker at me for that one!), but the folks I've met at Appleseeds are MY KIND OF PEOPLE....I just don't know how to find these sorts of folks out in the open market so to speak...

I've owned the house for 10 years, its very nice and its never been empty longer than about a week....but I've let it sit for 3 months...just wondering how to get a patriot in there instead of an average person...the last folks were very nice...but they didn't own a single gun and the lady was very anti gun and anti hunter...lame with deer walking though the yard!

Hence my dilemma....

Good night, and I hope you guys have a good weekend!

joe

Fred

A simpler way to do it is to rent it, and put in the lease that the occupants will go to Appleseeds until they qualify as Riflemen.

As long as you explain it up front, and they agree to it up front, shouldn't be any problem, legally.

Heck, you could push the envelop a bit, and require them to volunteer to help Appleseed, as an additional "consideration", along with the cash rental.

Eh?

PS: I still think you should work on all the other neighbors, not just the one you rent to... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Mudcat

Quote from: Fred on February 06, 2010, 07:39:52 AM

A simpler way to do it is to rent it, and put in the lease that the occupants will go to Appleseeds until they qualify as Riflemen.

As long as you explain it up front, and they agree to it up front, shouldn't be any problem, legally.

Heck, you could push the envelop a bit, and require them to volunteer to help Appleseed, as an additional "consideration", along with the cash rental.

Eh?

PS: I still think you should work on all the other neighbors, not just the one you rent to... :)

Gotta love it. I actually did this with a rifle I sold. It works!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Deuce

Ha!  I knew you guys would point out an idea I hadn't thought of without turning this forum into some sort of personel quest for me to make money!!!  (although, bear in mind, as a Libertarian, I see NOTHING wrong with someone earning an honest profit for work or services they provide another citizen!!!)

I can't think of any reason I can't put an incentive into the lease for Appleseed!  My discount will be very aggressive...like $200 a month....maybe $50 a month to just go twice a year until they become Riflemen...then $100 a month off.  If one of them can take the time to be an instructor I could take $150 off, and if both husband and wife train I could take $200 a month off!!!

This is a great idea, and I'm sure one of the hundreds of ways that the entire Applessed movement gets financed!

I'm wondering if anyone knows the law in Indiana well enough to know if its legal for me to state that a discount is available for certian "training" programs or even just say Appleseed outright in my ads?  I don't even know where to go to get this information without consulting an attorney..

Thanks in advance from anyone who knows!!!

Joe

Pappy

Hello Group; You are on to a great new PROMO, who can get there whole block or neighborhood to come to a Appleseed, that would give a whole new meaning to (neiborhood watch)... Just a thought..  Deals and Steals would be a great start.... Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Fred

Quote from: jlolson on February 06, 2010, 11:21:10 AM
I'm wondering if anyone knows the law in Indiana well enough to know if its legal for me to state that a discount is available for certain "training" programs or even just say Appleseed outright in my ads?  I don't even know where to go to get this information without consulting an attorney..

Joe: We're not quite at the point yet where you have to ask the state's permission for everything.

So long as you stay away from discrimination on the usual bases (sex, race, religion, sexual orientation), you still have freedom to set the conditions for rental...

Of course, understand, you're not likely to sue your renters if they don't comply with this provision, even if theoretically you could evict them for non-compliance.

Still, a provision like this can be motivational - and remember, you have talked it over with them in advance - they understand and have agreed - so you're likely to see a lot of benefit from such a provision - particularly when coupled with a discount on the rent - now, that's motivational, indeed! :)

Deuce

Thanks Fred.

The state has already stolen in excess of $30k from me by making an arbitrary judgement on a former property I owned...turned out they had the power and I was unwilling to fight them in court over $30k.

So, I am very gunshy on my ad's (even though an ad had nothing to do with my prior misery...)...i don't ever want to turn another one of my hard earned dollars over to those looters that I'm not forced to.

I'll just put the discount language into the lease, it seems I've got a lot more leway in that document....since I own the property (learned the hard way about credit some time ago) it will sit empty until I find someone willing to work with me.  Plus, the lease isn't open for public scutiny by every do good rotter out there looking to sue someone like an ad is.

joe