News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed brochure for Regional Events

Started by spitstickler, February 03, 2010, 03:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

I've been working on a brochure to help promote Appleseeds in and around Texas. It's about 95% complete right now. There is a gun show coming up in a couple of weeks and I'd like to have these printed before then, which means I don't have a lot of time to get this turned around.

Please proofread this for me and make sure all the content is accurate and appropriate. Some of the "What You Will Learn" is a probably a little "markety" sounding than typical, but I want to hook people and get them to an event.

I'll be contacting those of you in the pictures and the author that I liberated the "Family Friendly" text from to make sure we don't have a problem there.

Thanks!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

starfox

This looks simply awesome.  Love the graphical design.

Really minor comments:

Page 1:  If it will fit, put Scout's nickname in there.  Michael "Scout" Adam.
Page 2: Under Inches, Minutes, Clicks - capitalize MOA  (sorry, I'm a reformed English major)
           Under "We Make Rifleman" - I would say "flint lock musket", unless I'm missing my history, the muskets were smooth bore, not actual rifles (i.e. have rifling).  Makes the statement all the more powerful IMO.
           Under Prices, in the *'ed footnote, might also mention any applicable range fees.

Other than those minor nitpicks, looks great!!  Let me know if you want any assistance with the cost of getting this printed up!

Quote from: spitstickler on February 03, 2010, 03:21:10 PM
I've been working on a brochure to help promote Appleseeds in and around Texas. It's about 95% complete right now. There is a gun show coming up in a couple of weeks and I'd like to have these printed before then, which means I don't have a lot of time to get this turned around.

Please proofread this for me and make sure all the content is accurate and appropriate. Some of the "What You Will Learn" is a probably a little "markety" sounding than typical, but I want to hook people and get them to an event.

I'll be contacting those of you in the pictures and the author that I liberated the "Family Friendly" text from to make sure we don't have a problem there.

Thanks!
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

spitstickler

Starfox,

Thanks so much for the comments and proofing. An English major, I ain't! :) 

I've updated the doc with your recommendations. If you catch something else let me know.

On the musket vs. rifle, my understanding was that the British all had muskets (Brown Bess) and the colonists had both muskets and rifles. Everything I'd heard was that the musket was terribly inaccurate no matter who was shooting it. Maybe I just made the leap in my own mind, but I was thinking the long distance shots we talk about at Appleseed were made with the rifles of the time, but not the muskets... but I'm no expert (yet!)  :cool2:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

didactic

Splitsticker, you're right about the rifles vs. muskets thing.  In the Rev War generally and especially on 19 April, there were very few rifles on the field.  None at all on the British side, that I have heard about.  Later in the war, there were some individuals and even some units (here my ignorance overcomes, as to specifics) that were rifle-equipped, and those were the ones who made the 250-yard head shots and 500-yard torso shots.

PM to follow about that upcoming gun show.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

spitstickler

Final version attached.  I've got the Ok from everyone pictured so I think we're good to go.

didactic

Absolutely SUPER!!!

Do you need underwriting of printing costs?

Send me a thousand when they're done.  PM me for details.

voortrekker

Spitstickler,

It looks terific!

Your personal touch, "Discover your Heritage, Continue the Legacy."  is really good.

Thank you for your efforts, they will shine.

Brett
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

spitstickler

Thanks guys. I updated one last thing.    ...It just needed to be done.

Real bullet holes  :---

I'm going to order several thousand. Scout is going to try to get some money to fund this. But if for some reason it doesn't work out,  I may accept some donations.

starfox

We'll definitely help out if needed, don't hesitate to ask!  That is a bang up job.  Real professional quality!

Quote from: spitstickler on February 04, 2010, 10:58:50 PM
Thanks guys. I updated one last thing... I just needed to be done.

Real bullet holes  :---

I'm going to order several thousand. Scout is going to try to get some money to fund this. But if for some reason it doesn't work out,  I may accept some donations.

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

voortrekker

Quote from: spitstickler on February 04, 2010, 10:58:50 PM
Thanks guys. I updated one last thing... I just needed to be done.

Real bullet holes  :---

I'm going to order several thousand. Scout is going to try to get some money to fund this. But if for some reason it doesn't work out,  I may accept some donations.

The Texas contingent can and will provide the funds needed Spit.

Scout has done so much here in Texas, no need for him to go dogging for funds.  We can give Scout a break and do this ourselves.

Considering this, whomever is willing to help out paying for these brochures, reply here.

Spitstickler, PM these folks, all together if possible, me too.

I need to know what "several thousand" means in numbers and $.

Thank you Spit for doing this.

It'll happen, let's get the details done.

You've done some great work and you shouldn't have to pay the cost for the outcome.

Texans, chime in.

Brett

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

didactic

How much of a price break can you get for printing lots of 20,000+ ?  I don't think 20,000 or even 50,000 is too many for us to distribute over the next few months.  Maybe even more than that.

And when you get a price quote, don't be bashful about asking for the donations.  This WILL get done, in proper Texas style.

I've never been one to knock accumulating ammo, but this should be worth the price of a case of ammo to lots of members.

spitstickler

It all ads up pretty quickly.

10,000 = $686.38 shipped
20,000 = $1225.96 shipped
30,000 = $1770.71 shipped
50,000 = $2863.42 shipped

Shipping is the killer on the higher quantities. For our order of 5k pieces it $67.04, for 50k it's $652.25.. and this is UPS ground. Plus then we'll have to pay again to ship them to the four corners of TX.

Aromatic

They look good spit.  I am in for $100. PM sent.

didactic

Ok, it looks to me like the big price breaks are for 5,000 and 10,000, smaller after that.  A little less than seven cents a copy at the 10,000 level, counting initial shipping, and a little less than six cents at the 50,000 level.  As I learned during the (now fizzled) CTD catalog project, the RE-shipping (distribution from the initial receiver to whomever wants them) costs can get out of hand pretty quickly. 

Well, I understand we have an initial batch on the way, so we'll just have to see how many can be productively and effectively distributed, over what time frame.

We'll just have to adapt and persist.  Where have I heard that before?

spitstickler

Barring anything unforeseen, I should have these in hand Friday and will ship to those promised early next week.

I've attached a low-res version below.

Scout

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

spitstickler

This place is in Arlington, TX. http://www.printplace.com I'm actually going to go pick them up on Friday.

They were a little more expensive then the other place I was dealing with, but after the other place seemed to be fumbling, these guys guarantee they could get them done by this weekend. I had to pay tax on it, but the money saved by not shipping made it pretty much a wash on the cost. ...and I found an online coupon that let me order a few extra. Bonus!

If the brochures are well received and we want to order more at some point, they actually have a way for me to break up the order and they will ship to separate locations. Trying to keep it simple this run and I will mail out probably usps bulk rate boxes early next week.

bob 210

Wow!, those are nice! How do we get some made for CA?!?!?
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

spitstickler

Quote from: bob 210 on February 08, 2010, 05:02:44 PM
Wow!, those are nice! How do we get some made for CA?!?!?

Hey Bob,

I can either send you the source files, (it's all in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS4) or I can alter the map image for you and send you print ready pdfs that you can use at the printer of your choice.

The idea of a regional/state map because it will give someone a quick idea of what is in their general area. Plus I'm hoping that in some small way it might help get more ranges on line at the state level.... "Look, there's no location anywhere near DFW... Don't you want YOUR range to be THE designated Appleseed range in our area?" Don't know if it will work or not, but I'm going to try it.

If we wanted to do a national version, we could just replace Texas with a US map. We have enough locations that we couldn't label them with individual names, but we could just put dots on the map for each spot and people would get the idea that we're just about everywhere.

Carolina Gal

Hello,
I would like to thank you for your hard work on this brochure it is very good. May I make a suggestion instead of a national brochure that you consider setting up some for regions like Northeast, Southeast, North central, South central, Northwest and Southwestern brochures that will not be as crowded and easier to make out were the events are located.  That way the different regions can go in together and place orders for better pricing.  I know I would love to have some of the southeastern ones to hand out.
Carolina gal

spitstickler

Quote from: Carolina Gal on February 08, 2010, 08:55:23 PM
Hello,
I would like to thank you for your hard work on this brochure it is very good. May I make a suggestion instead of a national brochure that you consider setting up some for regions like Northeast, Southeast, North central, South central, Northwest and Southwestern brochures that will not be as crowded and easier to make out were the events are located.  That way the different regions can go in together and place orders for better pricing.  I know I would love to have some of the southeastern ones to hand out.
Carolina gal

Hey Carolina Gal,

I played around with this idea a little bit tonight and having labels on the map might be workable for some regions and would be really difficult on others. Some areas that have really been on the ball and have a lot of locations near one another will be hard to replicate with this style. NE region is a good example of this. Below are a couple of incomplete examples that are blown up to 300% so you can see what's going on. Obviously on the US map, the labels don't really have a chance of fitting so I just started using dots to get an idea of what that would look like. (I went a little cross-eyed before I finished all of them) However, I took a swing at it with the SE region. I didn't take it any further because I could see from a couple of areas in Fla and then I would have to change how I was labeling things to make it work.

If there is interest in your area/state/region in having a batch of these printed up I can make this work for this area, but I might have to fudge a few things here and there to make them all fit but I'm confident it can be done for the SE region.

Also, Bob have I thoroughly scrambled Cali?

techres

What would you need for IN/Ohio/IL/KY/MI to get one of these done?
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Scout

Spit :) Way to walk into a full time job! You and Techres have really exploded on this. I can not tell you how much I appreciate what you two men have been doing. It is going to give us a huge push in promotions having the professional promotional documents you guys are working on getting into the hands of AMericans who were wondering what they could do and where they could go to contribute to getting America back on track. Thanks guys!!!
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Carolina Gal

Thank you for taking the time to work with the maps.  The US map looks great and I agree that the labels on the regional map are too much.  How do you think the regional and state maps would look if they are set up like the US map with only the smaller dots and no labels for identifiers? 

spitstickler

Quote from: techres on February 09, 2010, 09:29:00 AM

Hey Tech,

I'll just need to take a look at that area and see how to fit the pieces together for the map. Are you thinking you want one that focuses on your state (which would also highlight areas close to the border like we did on the Texas version) or are you thinking regional? Preference on labels vs dots on the map?

I didn't realize you had projects in the works as well. What all do you have going?

Big H

Official AS Policy: under 21, active military (including reserves and guard), and women are free.
Police/Law Enforcement Officers/LEO are NOT FREE.  @&)

Please correct the brochures to make sure they reflect AS Policy.  &)
This also applies to other regions and states looking to adapt this brochure.

Now keep calm and carry on the excellent job of promoting AS.  O0

techres

Quote from: spitstickler on February 09, 2010, 02:31:03 PM

Hey Tech,

I'll just need to take a look at that area and see how to fit the pieces together for the map. Are you thinking you want one that focuses on your state (which would also highlight areas close to the border like we did on the Texas version) or are you thinking regional? Preference on labels vs dots on the map?

I didn't realize you had projects in the works as well. What all do you have going?

1. An Indiana flyer alone would be amazing, but I am sure IL and OH would want ones just as soon as IN had one.  They are like that.  ;D

2. The flyers I am working on are here:

Last Minute Flyer Help Please

Let me know if you do not have access to them.

Looks like you and I are both seeing the need for big game flyers since 2010 will be the big game league.  Perhaps we need a central thread/forum to work on the flyers instead of working in independent State boards.  

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

spitstickler

Quote from: Big H on February 09, 2010, 03:04:15 PM
Official AS Policy: under 21, active military (including reserves and guard), and women are free.

I will update the files and take the LEO part out. A little too late for Texas though as ours is already on the press. I looked around for this information on the forum, but that's one of the many needles in the haystack. Thanks for the heads up.

spitstickler

Quote from: techres on February 09, 2010, 03:15:01 PM
Quote from: spitstickler on February 09, 2010, 02:31:03 PM

Hey Tech,

1. An Indiana flyer alone would be amazing, but I am sure IL and OH would want ones just as soon as IN had one.  They are like that.  ;D

2. The flyers I am working on are here:

Last Minute Flyer Help Please

Let me know if you do not have access to them.

Looks like you and I are both seeing the need for big game flyers since 2010 will be the big game league.  Perhaps we need a central thread/forum to work on the flyers instead of working in independent State boards.  

Techres

Tech,

All the state boards magically opened up for me last week during the muster, but I really hadn't had a chance to look through them very well. We can definitely move this to another location. I can see the Promo1 & WL1 board, but I don't really know who can see what and how that is all structured.

I really like what you've been up to. I would love to have a copy of the Ft. Stewart release for the gun show we have coming up this weekend. Great stuff that I think would resonate well with this type of crowd. The Women & Appleseed could be useful too. If not for this weekend, definitely for other venues. Do you have pdfs for these? I'll pm you my email.

starfox

Quote from: spitstickler on February 09, 2010, 03:24:42 PM
Quote from: Big H on February 09, 2010, 03:04:15 PM

I will update the files and take the LEO part out. A little too late for Texas though as ours is already on the press. I looked around for this information on the forum, but that's one of the many needles in the haystack. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll add a black sharpie to the list for the gun show and we'll do a quick doctoring job.

Davilla 3-10