News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

PA All Hands On Deck April 17-18 2010

Started by Big H, February 03, 2010, 09:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big H

Quote from: RifleWoman on February 02, 2010, 10:29:11 PM
The goal for each April 19th event is to make it the biggest and best event of the year.  April 19th 1775 was the first day of the American Revolution.  We want to celebrate this day in a way that all those attending will remember.

April 17-18th, 2010 is the dates we'll be holding this year's April 19th Celebration.  Currently we have 91 events set up all over the nation, with a goal of 200.  There should definitely be one near you.

Currently we are planning to have drawings for door prizes, and other festivities. This is the not to miss event of the YEAR!!!

For those of you who will be shoot boss of one of these events, it will be up to you, the State Coordinator and the local boots on the ground to make your event special.  National Appleseed can do very little on the local level to make your event spectacular.  We suggest that you get some kind of demonstration or re-enactors or something special (there are many options here) to commemorate this important occasion.  Start working on this now so it will be ready. This should last between 30 minutes to an hour so that it doesn't take too much of your instruction time.
Let's start planning on how to staff these events:

April 17-18 Allemans, PA
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11448.0

April 17-18 Chambersburg, PA
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11447.0

April 17-18 Manheim, PA DAR
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11142.0

Who can Shoot Boss? Who can instruct? Who can IIT? Who can help promote and fill the lines? Who knows re-enactors or other special guests? Can we do this ourselves,  :) or will we need to ask neighboring states to help?  :sos:

Big H

I will wear an Orange or Red Hat at Manheim or Chambersburg.

Frontsight

I'll wear orange or red to Manheim or Allemans or Chambersburg, wherever the need is greatest.

Cowdog

My intent is to be working the Vienna, Ohio shoot on April 17/18. However, in an emergency I might be able to cover either Chambersburg or Allemans. 
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

mooney

No colored hats for me yet, so I'll do what I can for promotions as usual. I'll be attending one of them, probably Manheim.

Mooney
Mooney

EZ3

:-[
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

franklinfarmer

I'm an IIT from Georgia, and I'm planning to be in Manheim.  Haven't gotten confirmation on that yet, but I assume it will work out. 
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Arrigetch

I just signed up for the Allemans Appleseed!  I attended this one last year and loved it - it is one of the nicest ranges in one of the prettiest parts of PA (on top of the Allegheny mountains).  Great camping area with a nice, big campfire pit too!

Looking forward to this again - hopefully many of the wonderful people that attended last year can come back again, as well as some new ones!

Cheers

Big H

Quote from: franklinfarmer on February 10, 2010, 02:24:41 PM
I'm an IIT from Georgia, and I'm planning to be in Manheim.  Haven't gotten confirmation on that yet, but I assume it will work out. 
Your help will be appreciated, Manheim is sold out!
Extra shooters will have to go to Allemans or Chambersburg- plenty of room on those beautiful ranges.

franklinfarmer

Excellent. I'm an IIT3 and trying to advance, so it would be a shame to be wandering through a forest of red hats with nothing to do.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Chainsaw

John, Just a warning in case you haven't checked a map...

The great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is North of the Sweet Tea Line.

Glad to have you
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Spanner

Quote from: Chainsaw on March 22, 2010, 07:58:32 PM

I know that is a crack at me.  Thought I wouldn't catch it, eh?  Spanner is everywhere.

franklinfarmer, you'll have a great time working with the PA guys.   O0

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

franklinfarmer

Quote from: Chainsaw on March 22, 2010, 07:58:32 PM
John, Just a warning in case you haven't checked a map...

Glad to have you

PA is a harsh mistress, eh?  That sounds like it could be up my alley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

RifleWoman

Hey all, I was checking the pre-regs today and PA is really low.  Let's see what can be done to boost numbers before Fred catches wind of this and makes PA the new whipping child like TX   ~~:)  ;) 

Just a friendly warning  ;D

Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Big H

3 weeks to go:

Allemans Shoot Boss to be arranged.

I will Shoot Boss Chambersburg.

Chainsaw will Shoot Boss Manheim, which is sold out. All PA IITs who can, please sign up with Instructor Scheduling for Manheim! 30 shooters on the line   :---

Spanner

Quote from: Big H on March 28, 2010, 02:23:14 AM
All PA IITs who can, please sign up with Instructor Scheduling for Manheim! 30 shooters on the line   :---

Last year, Allemans had 68 shooters.  Dunno why, or what to expect this year.

Frontsight

I was at Allemans last year.  There were people from NJ, NY I think, and all over PA.  It was the only shoot anywhere nearby for many Pennsylvanians.  I think that's why there were around 70 shooters there.  I have been hanging fire, waiting to see where I'm needed most this April.  I had intended to go to Manheim as an IIT 2 and do another PC if time allows, but unless other folks are doing the same as me, we're going to have trouble staffing all these events.  I'm happy to go to any of the events in the state.

Frontsight

Big H

Quote from: Spanner on March 28, 2010, 08:13:14 AM
Last year, Allemans had 68 shooters.  Dunno why, or what to expect this year.

Current pre-registrations as of 3/26:
Allemans 7 (out of 71 slots) /SB to be arranged
Chambersburg 7 (out of 45 slots) Big H/SB, Tatical308 (IIT, LBOTG)
Manheim 30- sold out! Chainsaw/SB, franklinfarmer (IIT2)

To all patriots, please continue to promote Allemans and Chambersburg to help fill these lines.
To all PA IITs, please sign up with Instructor Scheduling for Manheim, which needs the most help right now. Chainsaw will handle IIT PCs for all who need it. As the other lines fill up, relocation may be necessary, but please commit now to Manheim so we can see who can muster up. A Rifleman adapts, improvises, overcomes. :o

colycat

With no SB for Allemans, Is someone the BOTG for this shoot?  Where is the shoot box going to be sent?  Has it been ordered?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Spanner

Quote from: Frontsight on March 28, 2010, 09:21:03 AM
I have been hanging fire, waiting to see where I'm needed most this April.  I had intended to go to Manheim as an IIT 2 and do another PC if time allows, but unless other folks are doing the same as me, we're going to have trouble staffing all these events.  I'm happy to go to any of the events in the state.

I'm with you.  WV is going to have to import one RH to cover one of our shoots.  I'm working (shhh... don't tell my SC) on exporting some WV IIT talent to PA.  I've got one on standby, and trying for more.

Frontsight

Alright - I'm signed up for Manheim, but will go where needed.

Frontsight

colycat

This was not retoricle!
Someone is going to have to travel to SB this shoot, it might be me.  So the questions are not from some busy body with no business asking.  Btw, will there be a target line set up?

Quote from: colycat on March 28, 2010, 09:59:05 AM
With no SB for Allemans, Is someone the BOTG for this shoot?  Where is the shoot box going to be sent?  Has it been ordered?
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Chainsaw

No supplies, no botg.

I've been there before.  Do call with all your questions.

Tom 570-335-3172
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Frontsight

Colycat - the Allemans shoot is at the Reade Range.  Its the home range of a long range shooting club.  They have military style butts there.  The various targets are posted on the backers which move up and down on counterweighted pulleys.  I'm not sure who needs to be contacted about getting the target backers out of the range clubhouse as  I was only a participant last year, not an IIT.  The range is set up for 1000 yard shooting.  Its a pretty impressive place.  For Appleseed purposes last year we simply set up 25 meters from the targets.  I imagine if the group is manageable you can back them up to longer distances if you like, but there wouldn't be room for people to shoot at varying ranges at the same time.  We had 70 shooters last year which was pretty close to being too many I would say.  Truculent Turtle was the shoot boss last year.  He came up from VA with 3 IITs.  I think Chainsaw was there from PA as well as another IIT whose name I don't recall.  There is plenty of primitive camping on sight, but no town nearby.  Altoona is the nearest big town and Tyrone is around 12 miles away from the range, but I don't know if they have much  besides a convenience store there.  Anything else I can help you with just post or PM me.

Frontsight

Instructor Scheduling

Who exactly is the RWVA BOTG for this range?

In light of the fact that Colycat is contemplating getting on a plane, and Fred is contemplating paying for it, it would be great if there were at least one dedicated pair of BOTG --- someone clearly identified as The Person You Go To Regarding Allemans.

B9

Quote from: Instructor Scheduling on March 29, 2010, 09:05:21 PM
it would be great if there were at least one dedicated pair of BOTG

Yep, sure would be nice. Fact is there is not at this time.

I set up the first shoot here and attended said shoot on a lead provided by Fulfaler back in 08. The EIP is accurate and fairly complete. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11448.0
Any prospective SB would just need to call the range President for gate access code and target frame shed code. 

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Big H

Quote from: colycat on March 29, 2010, 07:26:47 PM
This was not retoricle!
Someone is going to have to travel to SB this shoot, it might be me.  So the questions are not from some busy body with no business asking.  Btw, will there be a target line set up?

Quote from: colycat on March 28, 2010, 09:59:05 AM
The shoot box has not been ordered. There is no BOTG to send it to currently.
Cowdog (IIT) is scheduled for Vienna OH but in an emergency can come to Allemans.

If the SB will fly in, let's figure that out ASAP so Cowdog can be asked to receive the shoot box (after the SB orders the shoot box with Cowdog's address) and drive it to Allemans to IIT there instead of Vienna OH.

If Spanner will be SB, he will drive so he could order and receive the shoot box himself. This all depends on how WV and Allemans will be covered.

Quote from: Frontsight on March 29, 2010, 07:49:41 PM
Colycat - the Allemans shoot is at the Reade Range.  Its the home range of a long range shooting club.  They have military style butts there.  The various targets are posted on the backers which move up and down on counterweighted pulleys.  I'm not sure who needs to be contacted about getting the target backers out of the range clubhouse as  I was only a participant last year, not an IIT.  The range is set up for 1000 yard shooting.  Its a pretty impressive place.  For Appleseed purposes last year we simply set up 25 meters from the targets. Anything else I can help you with just post or PM me.
Frontsight
Quote from: B9 on March 29, 2010, 09:55:02 PM
Any prospective SB would just need to call the range President for gate access code and target frame shed code. 
With no LBOTG, the SB will need to contact the Range President directly to confirm the target line and any equipment and supplies needed. Contact info is on the EIP and here:
http://www.readerange.org/contact.html

Spanner

Quote from: Big H on March 30, 2010, 10:51:38 AM
The shoot box has not been ordered. There is no BOTG to send it to currently.
Cowdog (IIT) is scheduled for Vienna OH but in an emergency can come to Allemans.

If the SB will fly in, let's figure that out ASAP so Cowdog can be asked to receive the shoot box (after the SB orders the shoot box with Cowdog's address) and drive it to Allemans to IIT there instead of Vienna OH.

If Spanner will be SB, he will drive so he could order and receive the shoot box himself. This all depends on how WV and Allemans will be covered.

With no LBOTG, the SB will need to contact the Range President directly to confirm the target line and any equipment and supplies needed. Contact info is on the EIP and here:
http://www.readerange.org/contact.html

Here is a partial solution of sorts:

brickhouse is going to work Allemans, PA.  That's already a done deal.  IS should hear of it soon.

I can send SB stuff with her.  I don't know how early in advance she can arrive.  But the bulky stuff can be there hours before the shoot.  It might be a busy morning, but, hey, we are RWVA.

brickhouse

QuoteI can send SB stuff with her.  I don't know how early in advance she can arrive.  But the bulky stuff can be there hours before the shoot.  It might be a busy morning, but, hey, we are RWVA.

yup. What he said.

I'm not sure if I can come up Friday or not (babysitter issues). But I can certainly be there in time for the dawn muster. If that timing is not likely to work, let me know now and I'll start brainstorming means to sufficiently bribe the sitter.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Gordon

Quote from: Spanner on March 30, 2010, 11:58:46 AM
brickhouse is going to work Allemans, PA.  That's already a done deal.  IS should hear of it soon.

I can send SB stuff with her.  ...

Good! Well, from I.S.'s point of view, good and bad. That leaves Stinson with just The Machine and whatever (as-yet unidentified Shoot Boss) for Stinson. But Frank and the un-named one can probably handle that. Spanner, FYI: I've floated some inquiries to people south and east of you, to see if there's some Red Hat willing to drive 5-6 hours each way and cover one of the WV events. If someone came from the south, Beckley might be closer for that person, in which case maybe you could swap and do Stinson. Stinson's closer to you anyhow, right?

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear Brickhouse is heading to Allemans.