News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What can we do to spread Appleseed in Ohio? -- Virtual Muster Night Discussion!

Started by MeanStreaker, February 02, 2010, 09:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanStreaker

How do you think we can grow Appleseed in Ohio?

Are you a long time member of an online community like ARFcom?  The HighRoad?  OFCC?  BFA?  TheHighRoad?  FrugalSquirrels?  etc?

Ohioans For Concealed Carry has been extremely good to us from the beginning at getting the word out.  Every After Action Report and announcement on internet forums spreads the program like wildfire?

Do you have an active High Power league at your range that doesn't know about Appleseed?

What more can we do?
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

MeanStreaker

Have you written a Letter to the Editor of your local newspaper about Appleseed?  Our own GoldFishGunr had one published near Athens that I know will draw new people thirsty for the Heritage lessons!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Butt Stock

I took one copy of the Gibsonburg flier for this year into Terra Community College and gave it to head of security who got the permission needed to post them and he made 100 copies and has them posted all around the college and on all the boards there.... That was from Butt Stock's mom...........

Hoover

I wonder if an organized collection of promotional materials might help.  For example, maybe sample newsletter "flashes" for upcoming events or about Applseed.  Likewise, while we don't want to have a form-letter style "letter to the editor", collecting samples may help would be authors.  I'd be willing to help get some of this together to expand off of the state flyers.

MeanStreaker

Great idea.  gliming has come up with some great OH based fliers.  I'll make a sticky tomorrow with those, as well as sample newsletter blurbs and the like for everyone's easy access.  I've written several versions for varying lengths and audiences.  I'm sure others can help improve them.

Great idea.
--Thomas Paine

therealsteamer

What about flyers that can be posted with all the AS info and tabs across the bottom that can be torn off with the web addy?

Hoover

While I'm guessing that the real traction will come though more mass-media outlets/venues (like gun shows, etc.)... I *always* make sure that I have some of the bi-fold wallet cards in my wallet in case I just run into someone and don't happen to have flyers on me.  To me, the key is always placing *something* in a would-be candidate's hand.  I also find that it's hard to refine the "5-minute, elevator speech" that will resonate in such short notice.  But, practice through trying always helps.

Hoover

Getting flyers, promo materials, etc. made available through commercial venues (e.g., commercial ranges, gun/sports stores, etc.) will probably require some serious lobbying; but, that may well reach an entirely different set of people.  MeanStreaker--I know you've mentioned this before.   Perhaps thinking through the strategy for developing the value proposition for businesses is needed.

therealsteamer

Quote from: gliming on February 02, 2010, 10:03:58 PM
While I'm guessing that the real traction will come though more mass-media outlets/venues (like gun shows, etc.)... I *always* make sure that I have some of the bi-fold wallet cards in my wallet in case I just run into someone and don't happen to have flyers on me.  To me, the key is always placing *something* in a would-be candidate's hand.  I also find that it's hard to refine the "5-minute, elevator speech" that will resonate in such short notice.  But, practice through trying always helps.

I keep several of the bifold cards from the seed store in a card case on me all day at work...I manage to pass out at least one a day.... sometimes more..

MeanStreaker

If anyone is friendly enough with a local gun shop that they would talk to the employees about dropping in an Appleseed flier with every 10/22, 795, AR, M1A, etc type of purchase.... let me know!   I think that would be a great way for rifle owners to hear about Appleseed.
--Thomas Paine

therealsteamer

Quote from: MeanStreaker on February 02, 2010, 10:27:50 PM
If anyone is friendly enough with a local gun shop that they would talk to the employees about dropping in an Appleseed flier with every 10/22, 795, AR, M1A, etc type of purchase.... let me know!   I think that would be a great way for rifle owners to hear about Appleseed.

I might be able to talk to TNT Firearms in Findlay....  If they won't put flyers with the rifles.. they will at least display them

MeanStreaker

--Thomas Paine

DGMilty

I can take care of Shooter's Warehouse in Troy.  Let me know what I can do to help (owner and employees are familiar with the Appleseed program...I gave them some info after the Appleseed in November.)
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

MeanStreaker

Alright!  DGMilty, remind me when we're reloading in a few weeks and I'll hook you up with a bunch of fliers.
--Thomas Paine

DGMilty

Two weeks, I think I can remember!  Did you get an estimate of # pcs. brass???
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

LindaFromAppleCreek

If an Appleseed comes to Wayne County, I will send a letter to editor of the Daily Record from Wooster.

There's a county wide paper that promotes businesses and events in Wayne and Holmes Counties. I think they'd do an article on Appleseeds. I can find out if they charge anything, once a date is announced. They've done some well-written articles, with photos for sports shows, and guns shows.
aka Mustang380gal

Ratchett

We are working on local radio stations to advertise shoots and web site. I will check with local gun shop--has locations in at least 4 other nearby towns. Also, checking with local restaurants to put bi--fold cards on tables prior to events scheduled. Chain restaurants not always allowed to put such items on tables, but local owned will.

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

MeanStreaker

Quotewith local restaurants to put bi--fold cards on tables prior to events scheduled

Now THAT is another great idea!  Everyone read that?    :cool2:
--Thomas Paine

slim

As gliming touched on above; put something in their hand that directs them to the website. At worst, give them your email address and the website. Simply mentioning the program is a good way to help them forget if it's RWVA or RVAW or Applessause or "what was the name of that shooting thing?"

Those bi-fold cards are worth their weight in gold. Very easy to pass out whenever someone inquires about "that shooting thing you were talking about" or what you do on the weekends, etc. Also very easy to post on the community board of your local Kroger, Walgreens, sporting goods store, etc.  - And don't forget barber shops and beauty salons! 

Hoover

QuoteAt worst, give them your email address and the website.

One thing that I did to make this at least seem a bit more professional (and easy) is to order 250 free business cards from vistaprint.com.  They contain my name, email address and a phone number that I don't mind giving out.   You could substitute any of the info for something else if desired.  I used the American flag as a background (they have multiple templates for their free cards).  In some cases where I want the individual to feel like they can contact me to ask more questions, I give them both the bifold and the personal card; otherwise, just the bi-fold.

slim

Quote from: gliming on February 03, 2010, 02:54:03 PMorder 250 free business cards from vistaprint.com. 

I've been about to order those for two years now! I got a BOGO offer the other day for 500 premium cards for $4.95 or something like that. If anyone has a chance, check out vistaprint.com, they do great work and as gliming said, you can get a free card that's very professional on the cheap. Have something to physically hand to folks when you talk Appleseed.

RedNekEngr

Hey!!!  Who's this Slim cat that's showing up on the forum all-of-sudden??  Has he been resurrected from the dead?  Starting to wonder if you were still among us.  See you in 9 days.  Got some chocolate with your name on it.
RNE
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

MeanStreaker

Hehe, I believe Mrs. MeanStreaker is having me bring some dark chocolate for her Slimothy as well. :)  Someone will be eatin good.
--Thomas Paine

GoldFish

QuoteHey!!!  Who's this Slim cat that's showing up on the forum all-of-sudden??  Has he been resurrected from the dead?  Starting to wonder if you were still among us.
I was beginning to wonder the same thing!  See you soon.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

slim

I was on a walkabout.

I was really looking forward to the IBC and now that I have chocolate coming from at least two places, I'm really, really looking forward to it. See you guys soon!

applesauce

Hi all,
I just dropped in to read some posts. The Times Reporter is a verypopular newspaper that serves New Philadelphia and the surrounding area. This would be a good letter to editor Opportunity. It may also be a good opportunity for anarticle for the paper. I grew up in the area. I don't have the opportunity that I like to attend for I work in the medical profession. Since this can be our opportunity to have a large Appleseed for Ohio I just wanted to throw out a few suggestions.
                                                           Regards, Applesauce

para45acp

Have you considered getting these bifold cards or fliers into the hands of Ohio Concealed Carry Instructors? I have a LOT of students who pass through my classroom, and I know other instructors who would be willing to distribute the information. I give my students literature with their student packets, and could add any Appleseed info easily. I also keep an email group for my students so I can update them on future advanced classes, my NRA Marksmanship Qualification Shoots, and other upcoming events. Many instructors do the same...great avenue for spreading the word!! I can get information on Appleseed events put in the BFA newsletter as well. We just signed up another 14,000 people for the newsletter, and it's growing fast with the Ithica promotion.
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

Hoover

Quotebifold cards or fliers into the hands of Ohio Concealed Carry Instructors?

Great ideas!  I'm about to post an order for more bifold cards and will substantially increase the number.  I'll be sending you a PM to discuss the logistics of getting physical materials into the right hands.

QuoteI also keep an email group for my students

Excellent!  That's another great venue.

QuoteI can get information on Appleseed events put in the BFA newsletter as well. We just signed up another 14,000 people for the newsletter, and it's growing fast

That was on my list when just responding to your initial post.  I'm very excited about this opportunity as it would significantly extend reach across Ohio that we don't otherwise have.

Great post and thank-you for the follow-up!

Regards,

Hoover