News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Checking in for Muster

Started by Blue Skies, February 02, 2010, 09:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Skies

Hi everyone!!  Didn't see anyone else checking in, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I'll be over there for a little while, but I am working tonight too.

John   ..:..

Colorado Pete

"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

esaabye

Hello all, will be lurking on an off while I get some work done.

Colorado Pete

Dang it's quiet here. Well we'll be making noise in 4 more weekends...

Colorado instructors, we ought to be putting together an agenda for the next instructor shoot.

My vote: centerfire full-distance:
   I have a couple well-patched used "D" targets, plus one or two clean ones. Also some 100-yd and 200-yd bullseye targets, and a couple homemade 18" black circles for 300 yds. Enough for two relays of position shooting to go to work, maybe not a full AQT, but some good Appleseed drill.

Next, I have quite a bit of rifle-grade steel. Discs and rectangles of various sizes, plus metallic silhouette ram (500m) and turkey (375m?). Good for confirming hits without having to run downrange, and good for working multi-distance come-ups.
For some non-Appleseed style shooting, a centerfire rifle bounce for sure!
I also have some IPSC pistol targets useful for a rifle ten drill which may or may not be possible (involves shooter advancing from firing line 100yds towards five 300-yd targets, making five stops to engage one each of the five targets along the way).
Then there is the snap-shot, 4" target at 25 yds, and 10" target 50 yards, engaged from standing ready (port arms), with a one-and-a-half second time limit. Not strictly Appleseed, but useful for a Rifleman to know.

As much as you all will groan, I think there ought to be some instruction involved. Every IIT should know the following to function at an Appleseed on a basic level: 4 safety rules, Making the rifle clear & safe, procedure for clearing the line, line commands, and the six steps. Add in steady hold factors for prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing, and the full uses of the sling, and you'll be in great shape to help out and progress from there. With full distance shooting we will probably need a going-over of IMC as well.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr

esaabye

Pete, I agree that we need the agenda, think it will help keep things focused.

I would like to see the full distance centerfire work.  I am not too sure about the steel, as only one shooter can run it at a time.  I did enjoy the drill but it does cut down a parallel line to a serial line.

Incorporating teaching is good, let us roll it into agenda and assign parts out to the newbies (like me) so we can pratice for public consumption.

I would also like to receive some additional pointers and training from those more skilled than I.  Perhaps real world mildot usage, range estimation, windage...  This would provide the senior instructors a chance to teach something different as well.

Colorado Pete

The steel is 'dessert' after Appleseed work. I may have enough to run two shooters at once, depending on what drill is involved.
Range and wind estimation comes from experience, with luck we'll get in some good work beyond 300 on paper.

Blue Skies

Hi Pete and esaabye (haven't met you yet, but welcome!)!  Sorry I missed your post on the muster the other night.  I like all the ideas, Pete, and I'll be happy no matter what we set up.  Weekends have been tough for me for a few months, but this spring and summer I should have weekends open again.  I'm going to the BLGC Franktown meeting next Tues to hopefully join the club too.  I do think it will be good to get more practice instructing during these shoots - we would all benefit from it. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!!
John

iron site

Hi Colorado,
Just checking in and trying to get the Rifleman radio show to start up.

Sure is lonely here on the Colorado Board.....might have to join a different state board for tonight  :'(

Great interview with David Hackett Fischer if you missed it here is a link
www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio
We have to win...they will give us no quarter.

esaabye

Hey, just got back from my local political gathering. 

Iron Sight, where you shooting on the 17th?

Colorado Pete

I'm skulking about, a little late though...

iron site

shootin on the 17th? I'll be instructing here in Gunnison. I'd rather be shooting though. I have been getting some good trigger time in  :---
We have to win...they will give us no quarter.