News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A Note to Parents

Started by Western Rose, January 31, 2010, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Rose

Why do we encourage you to bring your kids to an Appleseed?

Written by DryFire.

Kids are our posterity they will inherit this country from us, and this alone is perhaps the best reason to bring a child to an Appleseed. Appleseed is much more than a day or two at the range. For a child Appleseed can be safety, responsibility, and confidence, the building of skills for competition, a shared experience with mom and dad, and a history lesson.

Safety is always our first priority, and teaching all persons how to safely handle and use a rifle is paramount to our course. We go beyond just teaching it though, we also give you two full days to practice those safe behaviors, and form them into habits. If you aren't sure you can successfully teach your kids firearms safety and use, bring yourself and your kids and let us help you both.

To teach a child responsibility can be a difficult task, but this is something the shooting sports can teach like none other. A firearm requires responsibility and can be a great way for kids to learn. Appleseed also builds confidence in kids, allowing all to participate and potentially do well regardless of physical stamina or condition. Appleseed can serve as an introduction to, and practice for other rifle sports such as 4H, or Jr. NRA High Power.

Appleseed is a great time of shared activities and memories with your kids. Spending the day side by side on the line shooting together experiencing the sun, the rain, and the history gives you a commonality and something to talk about. At many shoots there is also the opportunity to camp on site, providing a great time around the fire.

From an Appleseed father
"I'm the father of six - 5 to 17 with four of those girls.  Four of the kids, down to the 10 year old, shoot with me at Appleseed. Adding another next year." "Kids want to do what their parents do, when given proper direction.  Our society's entertainment age has attempted to take that from us, but only because we have allowed it to happen."

We offer so much more at an Appleseed than just the rifle instruction, we offer the history of our founders. It is this history which is so important to our future. Perhaps a historian by the name of David C. Mccullough sums it up well when he stated, "History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are." At an Appleseed we use the history of our nation and our founders to reinforce the idea that we all need to be involved in our country. That fateful day of April 19th 1775 there were multiple youth present at Lexington Green, youth involved in the direction and fate of our nation. Those youth and the men who stood with them that day sacrificed so much more than we can imagine. It is because of those sacrifices that we strive to honor those men by remembering them and telling their story. John Adams spoke of those hardships saying "Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

Our children are the future owners of our nation. Not only do we want to demonstrate to them what this meant to our founders, but we want to demonstrate how they can be better owners when we pass their country on to them. Sharing a common experience, with their parents and the Founders will help to guide them as they carry forward this great nation of ours. Even more importantly it will help them to understand the difference between being a subject to a nation and the owner of a nation.

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

MOGromit

Many thanks indeed to both Dryfire for writing this and Western Rose for posting it.

One of my standard statements at Appleseeds is "One of the reasons that I Appleseed is so that, one day, my children will be able to Appleseed.  I Appleseed so that YOUR children will be able to Appleseed."

Great responses from the kids this weekend at Buckeye, AZ, with the Young Patriot's Patch and stories of the under 18 instructors in the program.

Persist!

AZG

NorCal22Gal

:bow: Awesome job.....May I steal it to add to the presentation we do for our Tea Parties?  I put together a slide show of our events and we set up a table and run the laptop with pictures and quotes. people like to see them.  I think it would be a great thing to add to encourage parents and grandparents to bring kids out.

NorCal22Gal

TaosGlock

A most excellent post! Thanks!
We see many parent's and kids at our NM Appleseeds.

If you need more AS kid pics let me know!
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Western Rose

NorCal22Gal, DryFire says feel free to use it. Send me your email address and I'll send it to you. Or you might be able to copy and paste it out of the post.

TaosGlock, feel free to post any pictures you want of kids here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11179.0

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

willorith

WesternRose-
Once again, a wonderful thing you are doing here. I see you have used one of BrownBess' photos from Myakka (photo # 2). It is one I have always liked. I believe it really captures the father/son dynamic that happens so often at Appleseed. They are both engaged in a challenging learning experience that captures their imagination. It gives them a subject they can discuss as peers. One more stone in the foundation of citizenship as free men that will form a central pillar in their relationship as father and son throughout their lives. Each of them building a greater understanding of their duties to their country as free men and their duties to their families as father, son and husband without even being aware of the growth in spirit they are experiencing.

It is our highest service when families come together around Appleseed.
We are but human.

Western Rose

Willorith, It was DryFire that wrote it and DryFire that choose the pictures. He did amazing writing it.

50th Appleseed

NorCal22Gal

Thanks WesternRose...I think you both did an amazing job.

I'll try to send you some pics from our shoots here in RedBluff, CA...we had quite a few kids at our last shoot...despite the cold and rain.

NorCal22Gal

willorith

Well then, Very nice work, Dryfire.
We are but human.

GoldFish

That's AMAZING, Dryfire!!!

Thanks WR.

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

desertrat144

O0 O0 O0  Those pictures speak volumes!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

JuniperLimb

JJAGUNS

I took my 8 year old daughter to here first Appleseed, she had a great time and ask's all the time when she will be able to go again. I hardly shot at all because I was enjoyed watching her get the fundementals of marksmenship down, and help her progress her shooting skills.

Sly223

Quote from: Yusuf Mohammed on May 03, 2011, 03:34:01 PM
I am seeing in the pictures that there are girls go there, how come that a girl can hang a gun and begin shooting  ;D
Well, that girl,
Yusuf,
is an American,
So she will always have the right to do so,here.
As we allow the women to be equal here! Appleseed is about American heritage and Rifle Marksmanship. The oldest Sport in America. I'm sorry,But an Appleseed in Eygypt, or outside the USA, will probably be something, other than Appleseed! Your country your heritage, No cookie cutter, program for you. However, it would be a great time for you to excersize your liberty's here and come up with a program that will work in your Country.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

ChadC

My 12 year old daughter loves to go to the AS shoots with me. Her first AS score was 151, this last one, she shot a 164. Her skills have improved greatly as well as the amount of fun she has. She wants to take an orange hat too one day. As long as she wants to shoot with her dad, I will take her.
-Chad

omegafly

Hello Western Rose,
I am new on the Forum and have been scanning some of the older threads and this one really brought tears to my eyes.  I was recently introduced to Project Appleseed by Bruce Smith, Shoot Boss.  Met him at a Eustis, Florida gun show and was so impressed by his love for young people and our Country.
I have 3 grandboys, two of which would be a good age for an Appleseed but their single mom is under financial stress.  I hope to soon be able to bring them both to an event.  Their mom is a Patriot and loves this country and she knows her boys need this training, and so do I.
Bruce Smith was so kind to us that my friend Clyde and I gave him one of our Patriot Bullet Necklaces to wear which we hand make.  He said he loves it and even put up a thread under Steals and Deals by the name Bullet Necklaces.  Clyde and I have placed nice photos on eBid and are giving folks the opportunity to buy them at a low price. My email signature tells where to get them.
I am very interested in locating a site here in the Eustis, Mt. Dora, Leesburg area so we can have an Appleseed closer to home so we can come for the two day event without the expenses of traveling.  I will keep Bruce informed of the progress.  Whoops, out of space.  Regards,
David Lloyd
Omegafly
Wear an American Patriot Bullet Necklace with pride, especially you proud sharpshooters !  Go to http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=american-patriot-jewelry to see what we offer and remember, DEFEND THE 2ND CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO BEAR ARMS!

Roland

I'm getting a "this image has been moved or deleted" on the images in the first post.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

omegafly

Hi Roland,
That first post is an old one and should not be used.  At that time, I was using eBay for selling the bullet necklaces but due to their high listing fees, I felt the prices were too high so I found another auction site calle eBid where the fees are much less and this enabled me to bring down my prices. At the end of my post which you responded to, you will see my  "signature" with the link to my store on eBid called American Patriot Jewelry. But here it is again http://american-patriotic-jewelry.ebid.net  In my store, you will see photos of all the different bullet necklaces I have to offer and you can make a purchase there using Paypal.  If you don't have a Paypal account, I would be happy to accept your check or money order.  You can send it to David M. Lloyd, 1434 Elkhart Circle, Tavares, FL 32778.  My normal of handling personal checks is to deposit them and when they clear the bank, I ship.  If you want to check out my feedback on eBay, I am under the name dlloyd0725.
I really would like to get these necklaces going...they are really nice and kids love to wear them and they are proud to wear them since they have become marksmen at an Appleseed.  I think this is a great organization.
Thank you for your interest and I hope to meet you some day at an Appleseed.

Wear an American Patriot Bullet Necklace with pride, especially you proud sharpshooters !  Go to http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=american-patriot-jewelry to see what we offer and remember, DEFEND THE 2ND CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT TO BEAR ARMS!

Toobeauku

Western Rose,

I'm a Newbie here, but was also wondering why the photos in the first post written by Dryfly were deleted. I love his Discussion of getting kids involved. I am hosting an AS at my Sportsmen's Club in August and the following week I am hosting a MYHEC. I would like to put a program together at that the MYHEC event to reach out to those families that will be there. I understand there is something called a Library Seed possible.

I also have a History teacher at Dewitt High school lined up to let us make an Appleseed presentation to his classes. He is somewhat of a military collector and a vintage military rifle collector as well.

Thanks for your help,

George

NRA Benefactor Member   NRA Personal Protection Pistol Instructor,  NRA RSO
CMP Master Vintage Rifle Instructor
HIGH POWER... get some... and put your AppleSeed training to work for you.

When do we get to shoot the BIG RIFLE?

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -- Samuel Adams
The above statement works for Communists too who seek to brainwash the masses, just an FYI....  Are you Bailing?

hinermad

Quote from: Toobeauku on June 19, 2012, 07:48:02 PM
I'm a Newbie here, but was also wondering why the photos in the first post written by Dryfly were deleted.

That post is over two years old. It may be that the Photobucket account where the photos were hosted has been closed.

I tip my hat to you for the work you're doing. Good job!

Dave

Western Rose

George,

Hinermad is right. That Photobucket account is no longer active. They kept changing the links to the pictures and that makes what you are seeing appear. Thank you for asking. I will try to find a place where the links won't change to add photos back to this thread as soon as I can.

Yes, LibrarySeeds are possible. Thanks for the work that you are doing!

Leslie

50th Appleseed

omegafly

Hi Roland,
Don't know why you are getting that but here is the site address
http://us.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=american-patriot-jewelry
If this doesn't work, just email me at home and I can take care of you directly.
omega2012@centurylink.net
Thanks for the response.
Best regards,
David
omegafly

ssgretired

Hi there,
We are about to attend our first Appleseed event (woo hoo!!!) and I was wondering what other parents thoughts were on bring kids? We have twin 9 year old's, one likes guns, the other not so much, however, we want both of them to learn how to shoot properly,  and more of our countries history. It seems like a long day will be had. Any comments on other who have taken their kids would be greatly appreciated.

Kosciusko

Hi,

commentjng as an instructor/shoot boss:

"We are about to attend our first Appleseed event (woo hoo!!!) and I was wondering what other parents thoughts were on bring kids?"

--so long as they behave and don't create any safety issues,  I have always welcomed non-shooters to the line, to see what Appleseed is all about.   Most don't feel like hanging around all day.   The hands-on stuff  tends to be  a lot more fun than just watching.

"We have twin 9 year old's, one likes guns, the other not so much, however, we want both of them to learn how to shoot properly,"

--from past experience, the shooter will probably want to shoot, the other, maybe not.  At the last Wells shoot, we had a 9 year old clean a Redcoat, something the adults couldn't do.  I would suggest they bring a book or something else to entertain them.    Bored children will find something to entertain them, maybe something safe, maybe something not so safe.  It 's their nature.

"and more of our countries history. It seems like a long day will be had. "

-- a very long day, where your full concentration is absolutely required

"Any comments on other who have taken their kids would be greatly appreciated."

--  perhaps bring a a sitter who can keep them occupied if necessary, and who doesn't  mind  wearing hearing protection  for 4 hours at a stretch

I think having spectators  around at an Appleseed shoot is fine, but safety comes first, last, and always.

Kosciusko

Pitmaster

I took my 8 year old niece to one she did well for about 6 hours the first day. 4 hours the second. I should point out the temps were above 90° both days.  There were several family members to watch her behind the line. But I managed her on the line. Younger kids may need to shoot from a rest and with a scope to do well. Teaching steps to firing a shot, trigger control and safety is a priority.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

NavNuke

Quote from: ssgretired on August 08, 2012, 08:50:32 PM
Hi there,
We are about to attend our first Appleseed event (woo hoo!!!) and I was wondering what other parents thoughts were on bring kids? We have twin 9 year old's, one likes guns, the other not so much, however, we want both of them to learn how to shoot properly,  and more of our countries history. It seems like a long day will be had. Any comments on other who have taken their kids would be greatly appreciated.

We took ours to the very first one Mutti and I attended. The youngest was seven then. We were all up on the line and spread out.

Pictures of that shoot back in '10 can be seen here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/sets/72157625349646750/

I would say it depends on the child. Ours were troopers and have put in full weekends since the beginning. Sundays will be harder on them than Saturday's in my opinion.

We went over basic operation of the rifles with them prior to the shoot. Safety on/off. Chambering a round/clearing a round. Locking the bolt in an open position. Seating a mag/dropping a mag. Doing all of these actions from a stable position without sweeping around the muzzle.

Good luck & enjoy!
NN

"Be ever questioning. Ignorance is not bliss. It is oblivion. You don't go to heaven if you die dumb. Become better informed. It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." -- Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Charles McKinley

My daughters were 8 & 9 at thier first shoot last year.  Are you shooting or loading mags?  You will need at least one support person even if both are shooting. If only one shoots you may need two support people. It is a LONG day even for adults.  Have snacks, water and other drinks.

Do the rifles fit?  If the rifle is too long or too heavy it will be a struggle for them if they try to shoot positions.  My daughters shot from a rest for the 3 shoots they went to last year and my youngest daughter, who is more iterested, just started shooting positions this year.

They should know how to work the rifle themselves.  The 10/22 stock bolt release can be tricky to learn: remember push up for the bolt to go up (close) pull back (like a trigger) for it to stay back (open.)

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Bring something for the less interested one to do.  You do not have to shoot every course of fire late in the day especially they will be tired and weak. You will be using muscles that do not usually get used.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

TadN

Question for parents.  I'm planning to take my son to an Appleseed event (our first) so he can learn how to shoot.  Do we both need to bring rifles, or can I just show up as a spectator with binoculars to watch him while he learns?

Are we allowed to share one LTR as a family if we both register?

Thanks,

Tad

The Wolfhound

TadN, at most shoots there is no problem with observers.  Sharing a rifle is usually not practical as the pace would leave sharers not getting time to practice the skills.  A possible solution is to ask the State Coordinator or Shoot Boss for the event if a loaner can be reserved.  That way you both learn, you both practice and you both shoot.  That is a win for everyone.  What state will you be shooting in?

TadN

Thanks for the quick reply! We'll be attending an event in San Antonio, TX.  I've emailed the TX coordinator and also called the hosting range about rental options.

Now for a drive around town to compare Walmart, academy sports, and Dick's sports for sales.  I stayed up last night comparing and it sounds like I might be able to get a Savage 64f for near the price of renting and buying range ammo for a weekend...