News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

reloading components buy...

Started by ThaiFighter, January 25, 2010, 03:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThaiFighter

I am working on putting together an order for powder and ball to build both xm193 .223 clones and match grade in both .223 and 30-.06.

Widener's has 6k 55gr FMJ-BT bulk made by Hornady for 449 with free shipping.  This works out to about 75 bucks per thousand/7.5 cents a shot.  Would anyone (or two) like to split this with me?

I am also putting in an order at powder valley for primers, Ramshot TAC for the xm's and H414.   Since I am eating the hazmat fee for shipping, would anyone like to piggyback in with me and we can knock down the shipping costs?  Their website is www.powdervalley.com.   They also have excellent prices on bullets.   

All told, with the hornady's, ramshot and 5.56 mil primer it's looking at about 17 cents a shot. (plus the labor of love in rolling 'em)

If anyone has any suggestions for alternatives, I am all ears.  Just looking to improve my dollar/skill development ratio. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

ItsanSKS

Perhaps interested in piggybacking for a powder buy, though I'm not sure if they have the powder in stock that I would like to try (Hogdon Varget or 4895)
I'm working up a load for M855 (SS109) using privi partizan 62gr fmj-bt's, Wolf SRM primers and Lake City cases.

So far, not much success using RL-15; at max load (26.5gr, per Lyman manual) I'm still well short of the SS109 velocities...  Not sure if the manual is overly conservative, or if the powder is just ineffective with a 62gr bullet, or what..

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

ThaiFighter

I know powdervalley is out of just about everything Hogdon, but so is everyone else.   Let me do some more looking.

Harbor Reloading Supply in Clearwater has Varget in stock @ 29 bucks a lb if you want to give it a shot.  Not sure about 4895.  I've heard good things about H335 for m855 loads.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

PHenry

Need to use a faster ball powders for XM193 or M855. WC844 is spec, but Pat's has been out for some time. H335 is very close and will do well, although it is said to be temp sensitive??

4895 is a short stick powder and is great for .308, but just barely OK for .223.

I could use some more WC844 or H335 and would be interested in group buy on same.

Thanks,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata