News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Positive Appleseed Article in Bloomington's Herald Times

Started by techres, January 24, 2010, 06:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Rep's to Hawkhavn for doing this successful interview:  (link requires paid membership, so article quoted in full)

Sharpshooter trains National Guard soldiers
The Appleseed Project aims to improve members' marksmanship skills

By Bethany Nolan

BLOOMFIELD -- The tiny business card Ed Yeager hands out has all the usual accoutrements: name, phone number, Web site. But on the back is a dark square, one inch by one inch.

That's one of the target goals for riflemen involved in the Revolutionary War Veterans Association's Appleseed Project, which aims to teach advanced marksmanship skills to anyone who wants to learn. (That minuscule square? You're supposed to be able to hit it at 25 yards using a GI sling and iron sights from a prone position. Five times.)

Yeager, a 46-year-old Bloomfield resident, has been interested in target shooting nearly all his life.

He shot in high school in Daviess County, and was a member of the Sycamore Valley Gun Club. Back in 2006, he ran across an article about the Appleseed Project and visited a shoot in Evansville. He was quickly hooked by the program, which meshes marksmanship training and a sense of how important sharpshooters were to America's tumultuous creation.

Yeager became an instructor for the program and, in that capacity, recently traveled to Fort Stewart, Ga., for a week to train South Carolina National Guard troops before those citizen soldiers deployed overseas.

"One of our instructors is active duty military," he said. "He'd run his unit through one of our courses and their marksmanship improved. Word got around."

Volunteer instructors like Yeager paid their own way to Georgia, which piqued the interest of the Guardsmen. Then, interest skyrocketed as the citizen soldiers saw their own skills increase during the training, he said.

Yeager said instructors typically set a "baseline" at the beginning of the exercise, and then have participants take aim at those same targets at the end of the program to see how much they've improved.

Skills taught include how to properly use a sling -- or strap -- on a rifle. "It's an excellent steadying tool," Yeager said. "And it's a skill not a lot of people are taught anymore."

There are also tips on breathing (regulate it so your body's movements don't interfere with your shot) and natural point of aim (which sounds complicated, but essentially involves making your body comfortable so you can shoot better).

Those tips may sound simplistic, Yeager said, but "when you're shooting at something hundreds of yards away, every little bit counts."

Although most events are conducted at a lesser range, participants are taught fundamental skills that allow them to be accurate to 500 yards, a length traditionally known as the "rifleman's quarter mile."

The Appleseed Project said the National Guard unit's average improvement was nearly 300 percent over what its members had previously experienced.

"For regular citizens, this is kind of a fun skill," Yeager said of the marksmanship training. "But for those guys, being able to make the shot when they need to, it's a matter of survival."

Find out more: Visit the Appleseed Project on the Web at The Appleseed Project

Thanks for this Hawkhavn!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

techres

Is there still an "Appleseed in the Press" thread?  If so, this needs to go into it!

Another D.O.M.

Very cool!  It's nice to see some positive in the news every once in a while; and even better when it's for us.

I've PDFed the article for printing & distribution - see attachment.

Great job Hawkhaven & the entire Ft. Stewart Appleseed team!
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Fred

Yes, it's on the Home Page under "NEWS" - and it certainly needs to go there.

I'd also post it on the Ft Stewart thread, and on any PR thread we have.

I'm thinking this can go into a "Press Kit" we may ultimately be sending out about this program, to show the media what can be said about this program.

I'm also wondering what kind of internet exposure we can get with this. What's the etiquette for posting this on other forums? Or at least, linking to it?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

PS: Nice shot of Hawk in his new AS "golf shirt". O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Fred

PPA: Thanks A-DOM for being fast off the mark with a pdf version! O0

techres

Quote from: Fred on January 25, 2010, 08:30:28 AM

Yes, it's on the Home Page under "NEWS" - and it certainly needs to go there.

I'd also post it on the Ft Stewart thread, and on any PR thread we have.

I'm thinking this can go into a "Press Kit" we may ultimately be sending out about this program, to show the media what can be said about this program.

I'm also wondering what kind of internet exposure we can get with this. What's the etiquette for posting this on other forums? Or at least, linking to it?

That's already begun on the IN forums.  O0

techres

Quote from: Fred on January 25, 2010, 08:30:28 AM

We are just "doing it":

INgunowners.com - Posted! (Link).  (Video Posted As Followup)
AR15.com - Posted! (Link).
Hoosier Gun Club - PM Sent.
OhioCCW - Posted! (Link).

Each thread should begin with the article alone.  Then as interest occurs, a link to the youtube video will be added for the "BAM!" effect.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Fred on January 25, 2010, 08:30:28 AMI'm also wondering what kind of internet exposure we can get with this. What's the etiquette for posting this on other forums? Or at least, linking to it?

I've sent a copy of the article to the NYSRPA for their newsletter and web site...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

techres

techres

I have made a flyer using info from the news report.  The PDF is too big to attach here (3.9 MB).  These are pictures of it that I was able to host up on Flickr:

Who is lead on flyers?

jacques

Nice going!!!! I will try to get this on Calguns.net as well when I get home from work.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

Stimey

Techres,

Would you be so kind as to email me this release?  I would like to post it at Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune to pique some interest among our military here in North Carolina.  Also, I am trying to establish a new shoot location in Fayetteville, and this would sure help that effort.

Send to:   mjddstineman@embarqmail.com

Thanks!

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Old Glory!

Techres!  You've got SKILLS!!!  Professional looking flyer.  It will be VERY good for Appleseed to have this pulled together, as you have done.  

Not suggesting you should change A THING, but I have a strong opinion about including pictures of the SWAMP FOX BATTALION, FRANCIS MARION'S MEN, showing off the signature RWVA REDCOAT targets......just sayin  :cool2:  

234 years later the Swamp Fox Battalion/Marion's Men engage the Redcoats!  8)

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

hawkhavn

Yeah!  Swap out one of those good lookin' guys for my dorky one!  O0

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

techres

The contact info on the flyer is mine.  Is there a national level contact name, email, and phone # for someone who is lead on talking to the military?  I would prefer that be in the flyer if possible.  Perhaps SamD?

Hawk, I will change out the pictures.  Are there any wording changes people want or advise?

Let me know, I will make the final changes and then I will distribute the flyer to those who want it.  Bill3 says it can get up on the server pretty easy with his tech skills.

Bill 3

I took a look at the settings and the forum should accept up to 10Mb.  Let me know if you tried and failed.  May need a change to the php settings.

- WRWIII

Quote from: techres on January 26, 2010, 10:01:46 AM
The contact info on the flyer is mine.  Is there a national level contact name, email, and phone # for someone who is lead on talking to the military?  I would prefer that be in the flyer if possible.  Perhaps SamD?

Hawk, I will change out the pictures.  Are there any wording changes people want or advise?

Let me know, I will make the final changes and then I will distribute the flyer to those who want it.  Bill3 says it can get up on the server pretty easy with his tech skills.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

techres

Quote from: Bill 3 on January 26, 2010, 10:27:26 AM
I took a look at the settings and the forum should accept up to 10Mb.  Let me know if you tried and failed.  May need a change to the php settings.

- WRWIII

It failed when I tried.  Let me get a final copy done here and then I will try again before you go PHP changing.

Old Glory!

When the Colonel asked me about your organization, and he wanted to know who you were and what you were about, some of the staff looked you up on the internet.  It was pretty impressive, what we read on the internet.  I am going to tell you that your internet site does not BEGIN to describe you as individuals or you as a group.  It doesn't BEGIN to do justice to the value you have added to our training plan.  It doesn't begin to do justice for the difference you are going to make in the lives of our soldiers.    Sgt. Rinehardt

Just throwing this one out there for your consideration. 

techres

Quote from: Old Glory! on January 26, 2010, 11:17:03 AM

When the Colonel asked me about your organization, and he wanted to know who you were and what you were about, some of the staff looked you up on the internet.  It was pretty impressive, what we read on the internet.  I am going to tell you that your internet site does not BEGIN to describe you as individuals or you as a group.  It doesn't BEGIN to do justice to the value you have added to our training plan.  It doesn't begin to do justice for the difference you are going to make in the lives of our soldiers.    Sgt. Rinehardt

Just throwing this one out there for your consideration. 

Can we use that quote?  If so, I will add it in right now.  I still need contact info for this.

Fred

Looks great, and a great job! But run it thru spell check before making it "final".

Right on the front page, in that first block of text, "privilege" is misspelled, and the word after "Appleseed" - "Received" should not be capitalized.

How about the rest of you double-proofing to make sure errors are eliminated before we put this out for the public?

techres

Quote from: Fred on January 26, 2010, 11:43:51 AM

Looks great, and a great job! But run it thru spell check before making it "final".

Right on the front page, in that first block of text, "privilege" is misspelled, and the word after "Appleseed" - "Received" should not be capitalized.

How about the rest of you double-proofing to make sure errors are eliminated before we put this out for the public?

I got the "Privilege" typo this morning before your post, I did not catch the Received.  There is a reason I am asking for tons of input here!   I figure we are 3 more drafts before final.   :sos:

techres

Fred, what is the national Phone number and email that I can use for the flyer?

FYI: Current revision "E":

Still taking edits here!

Old Glory!

CONSIDER using "Instructors" rather than "Trainers"; and "education" or "instruction" instead of "training" throughout unless quoting the military or the newspaper article.  

A proven training marksmanship program.

It is our humble hope that Appleseed instruction will save lives through improved marksmanship skills.  (or something like that)

IMNSHO, the military may and will use the terms training, weapons, etc. but as Appleseed representatives we should continue to use Appleseed language; education, rifles, instructors, instruction, etc.  Keep it Appleseed "True and Tried".   What does everyone else think about this?

Capitalize Rifleman first page middle section under "Trainers".

I noticed in the newspaper article Rifleman is not capitalized; not sure how reprinting and copyright works.   $$-0

Thanks again Techres! :bow:

PHenry

OG,
Excellent points.

Here in Florida we don't use the word train - ever. We teach, we educate - the military trains. When we were at Ft. Stewart - we trained troops for combat. At events we teach the traditions of the Founders and one of their fine traditions was marksmanship. We don't say "gun" or "weapon" - only rifle. We teach rifle marksmanship and sometimes we even use "Liberty Teaching Rifles".

It all sounds silly until some reporter with an agenda paints us with the "right-wing militia training org" brush. Nobody will stop to question it for the lie that it would be - they will drink it up like mother's milk and we will be whatever they say we are. We cannot stop people from speaking ill of us, but we can make sure they are lying - right down to the smallest of details.

Our cause is just - our methods unimpeachable.

Techres,
Excellent work sir and God bless you for laying out for a nit picking slacker like me to make comments over.  :)

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

techres

Alright, last revision of the day:

Ed, please note the lack of pic you hate.

I worked hard to remove all training wording, don't know if it flows though...

I will be on the chat room for the Radio Show tonight if anyone has more suggestions.

colycat

Great job on this Techres.  I call it finished. Sure, I could suggest you change this or that, but, its way better than good enough right now.  And we all know that perfection in the Enemy of good enough.  I can't wait to use it. ..:..

P.S.

Someone. Nice job on getting AS to the top on Google, using the phrase "The Appleseed Project"
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

PHenry

Time to send this to the printer for mass production and get one in the hands of every CO, of every Nat Guard unit in America!

I would also much like to see them printed in Military publications, so that soldiers can be filling the empty spaces on our lines at events whilst on leave to better ensure their own safety.

Kudos to Techres!

PH