News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Facebook Promotion for St. Augustine April 17/18

Started by caseyblane, January 24, 2010, 05:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyblane

I've created this facebook event page:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31015745&id=1294177021&comments&alert#/event.php?eid=430199475175&ref=ts
It is being promoted with a Facebook ad. The ad costs $.70/click. I started the ad yesterday and so far it has been shown a little over 2,000 times and received one click. Facebook events allow users to view the event once they click and either do nothing or select "attending" or "maybe attending". This first clicker selected maybe attending. The ads are very targeted. There is a link on the event page that links you to the Appleseed event page and there are instructions that you should pre-register. The ads can be focused for geographic region and shown to users with certain keywords on their facebook profiles. I've started it out showing only to users within 50 miles of Jacksonville and with the keywords "libertarian" "conservative" "NRA" "Tea Party Day" and "Tea Party Express". The options for keywords were kind of limited, the system seemed to only allow me to pick keywords that appear in facebook provided questions. I can control the daily budget and have limited it to 3 clicks per day. I'll run it for a week and then try some different keywords. Let me know if you have any ideas and if you are on Facebook go to the link above and sign on to the event page. Its kind of lonely right now ???
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

willorith

Excellent work sir, I have no more concept of Facebook than I do of platypus reproduction. So, my advice to you is run with it. Keep notes on what you do and what works. Other Facebook Appleseeders probably are doing similar things or will when you break the trail.

Dr.John may be coming to Hernando next Wk end You may be able to catch a ride with him.
We are but human.

caseyblane

willorith:
I was a long time coming to the world of online social networking, but now that I have seen its capability for communicating with others far and wide, I like to think that Mr. Revere and Dr. Prescott, if alive today, would be on Facebook.

I'm in contact with the Appleseeder who is running the main RWVA facebook group page and have linked up to him as well.

I applaud Dr.John's efforts. Unfortunately, I won't be able to come along. I'll look forward to seeing y'all in St. Augustine.

ThaiFighter

Quote from: willorith on January 24, 2010, 06:33:33 PM
Excellent work sir, I have no more concept of Facebook than I do of platypus reproduction. So, my advice to you is run with it. Keep notes on what you do and what works. Other Facebook Appleseeders probably are doing similar things or will when you break the trail.

Dr.John may be coming to Hernando next Wk end You may be able to catch a ride with him.

I thought Platypus reproduction is on one of the IIT PC's .  **)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

willorith

I ordered a case of fertilized platypus eggs. A case being 12 dozen, 1 gross. I expected about an even mix of males and females with sufficient genetic diversity to produce a viable breeding population. I was surprised to find 92% male yield form the viable eggs -78% of the lot. that is 103 male platypi and only 9 female. genetic testing revealed all were first cousins or siblings. Another lot of eggs gave similar results. Though from a different Platypus ranch thus a different genetic strain. Playing Oprah reruns during gestation results in a higher female ratio. For better results, buying gravid females is the tried and true method. Platypi are raised for their lips which when stretched and dried produce the strongest most durable boot laces in the world.
We are but human.

ThaiFighter

Quote from: willorith on January 25, 2010, 06:18:33 PM
I ordered a case of fertilized platypus eggs. A case being 12 dozen, 1 gross. I expected about an even mix of males and females with sufficient genetic diversity to produce a viable breeding population. I was surprised to find 92% male yield form the viable eggs -78% of the lot. that is 103 male platypi and only 9 female. genetic testing revealed all were first cousins or siblings. Another lot of eggs gave similar results. Though from a different Platypus ranch thus a different genetic strain. Playing Oprah reruns during gestation results in a higher female ratio. For better results, buying gravid females is the tried and true method. Platypi are raised for their lips which when stretched and dried produce the strongest most durable boot laces in the world.

Yep, I got a pair o' them laces. They is indeed nice, if a bit pricey...

you should have seen my face when I got the bill...
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

willorith

We are but human.

willorith

Those laces will outlast several pairs of boots.
We are but human.

caseyblane

Just an update:
So far: The ad has been shown 46,085 times and 45 people have clicked on the ad which takes them to the facebook event page for this specific event, three additional people have signed up on facebook as attending (that came through the ad), and several as maybe attending (that came through the ad). So far it has cost $21.45. I might change some of the keywords that are used to target the ad and see what happens. Two people have actually pre-registered for the event, no idea if they came through the facebook page first. I've got it limited as spending no more than $2.70/day and you pay per click. So, the clicks are definitely limited by the budget you set.

willorith

That is a pretty cool notion. Paying for the actual responses to your Ad. This Facebook thing might be worth something after all.
We are but human.

caseyblane

Update:
I stopped showing the ad today. Results:
59 actual clicks, 57,883 displays for $26.43.  That is less $ than printing a stack of flyers. 5 confirmed guests, 12 maybes (through the ad alone). We'll see if any of it turns in to actual pre-registrations. If the pre-registration is weak a couple of weeks before the event, I'll run another ad campaign. We also have a gun show in late March up here.